Rcr Gt40 Engine

I NEED SOME ADVICE AS IM NEW TO KITCAR ASSEMBLY. IM THINKING OF
BUYING AN ENGINE FROM THE ENGINE FACTORY, A 351w, fuel injected.
ARE THE GUYS AT THE ENGINE FACTORY OK TO DEAL WITH?
IS THERE ENOUGH ROOM FOR A 351, AS I WAS TOLD TO LOOK FOR A 302?
I SHOULD EXPLAIN THAT IVE RECENTLY SENT OF A DEPOSIT TO FRAN
HALL FOR ONE OF HES MK1!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Ricky...welcome

1. Let us know where you're from...helps build trust
2. Use lower case letters...upper case looks like shouting
3. I'm sure Fran's car can use a 351Windsor...just make sure you order your
headers accordingly.
4. I think there's been a few comments about the Engine Factory .
As I recall there were no large problems. Try doing a search.
Good luck !

MikeD

Maybe look at a 331 or 347 stroked 302. It will be lighter and will give you plenty of power. Frans headers are built for a 302 but he can get custom stuff. It will definately cost him more. I am not sure if he passes that cost on the the buyer. One of the other guys could probably tell you. Mine were custom and they did cost a little more but they are really custom so I expected that.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Dean, I think your right, Fran showed me some headers for the 302, not sure if available for the taller deck blocks. I went the custom route for the headers as well (he did them), definitly cost more but are much better matched to the engine, and the heads that I had would not work with the stock style headers. The style that I did was also the more squared off versions like on the 427 motors. Fran is definitly at the PRI show in Florida this week (guessing weekend too). You should also ask him about the motor he likely has some good connections he can help with, and definitly do some searchs in the RCR section and Engine Sections you will find almost enough info to keep you busy until your car arrives!

For the 302w vs 351w debate, my guess either will fit, but a nice healthy 302/331/347 would be a better way to go, you can use the off the shelf headers, and any of them will make enough power to scare you in the GT40. The difference in doing some of the larger cube motors is that you can make big hp, and still have it not be all that undrivable. For example, I have a 347" motor that makes in the 600hp range, and would be very undriveable, one the otherhand a 427 stroker (based on a 351) with similar power might be just fine (check some of the engine threads from about a year ago you should see some comparisons on my motor and a 427 stroker). Lastly think about the transmission, that might also sway you to the small cube motors. If you have a good gear box, no matter, but if one on the edge, safer to loose some cubes. (IMO)

BTW Welcome!

Sandy

Hi Ricky, Engine Factory did my motor and they have been great to deal with. I opted for the turn key 302, 373 HP package. See my thread USA GTD Build for specifics. As they are one of the better vendors I have ever dealt with, I would not hesitate to go back to them again.

You really don't need a lot of power to push these cars to some surprising levels of performance.

Brian

thanks guys, i'll ask fran upon hes return. i would of used fran to build the
engine for me but the engine factory guys are sooooo keen on their pricing and bearing in mind im having a fuel injection system as well, the
difference in the 2 prices are now quite considerable.

Ricky,

One word of caution when buying an EFI engine from the Engine Factory. It may not be a true "turnkey" engine when you recieve it. My brother purchased a 351 with massflow EFI from Engine Factory a few months ago. It was run on a dyno with carburetor installed before it shipped to him. However, I do not believe it was run with the EFI unit and the EFI unit was not installed on the engine when he recieved it. The EFI unit arrived in a bx and he had to assemble it himself. I do not know if this is typical of EFI units shipped from the Engine Factory or if this was just an isolated instance. However, it might be worth looking into.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Ricky,

You say you want fuel injection; well that cover quite a bit of territory! Tell us a little more about what you have in mind, please. Are you talking about a factory type efi (EEC-IV), one of the 4 barrel like speed density units, stack type,.....?

Do you have an engine management system in mind?

Lynn

im really not sure what the difference between an efi massflow injection system and stack system is, can anyone tell me and advise what is a better choice?

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
The mass flow usually end up with somthing like a carb manifold or other manifold that collect all the runners at some point (mustangs 5.0, Vetts, etc) and use a Mass Air Flow sensor to do some or all of the airflow calculations (depends on the computer).

The more traditional ram tube stacks that you see on the GT40s are typically don't use a Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) like more of the production cars. Each has it plus and minus, but for the GT40 something that makes it hot is the "8 Ram tubes under glass (plexi that is)". Otherwise just jam a 4 bbl and be done (will make as much or more power then the webers IMHO) and you can quickly and easily tune. Check around here for the weber vs. 4bbl threads I think they have been beaten to death :)

Find out what computer they are going to supply, some are better then other, some are not so flexible and hard to tune. You can get a lot of feed back from the folks here as many have EFI and use different controller, i.e, Haltech, MoTec, Fast, etc.

I have a TWM/Haltech and will get the car going with the carb and down the road swap it out for the EFI. Will plumb all the needed EFI lines and wiring so it will be an easy switch. Again, loads of thread on the issues with 2 tanks and swirl pots, etc that make the GT40 just slightly more complex.

engine quoted as coming with ford idle control, and mass air computer. a 1000cfm avs throttle body and billet alloy fuel rails with edelbrock victor
jr. single plane intake. i think its safer to take frans advice when he arrives back from the pri show.

regards

ricky

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ricky, How about this for a sensible way to finish off your motor. Put a single plane intake and a Holley double pumper on it to get the car running. If you are going to use a complete management system (both fuel and spark) then this gets more costly as you will also need a distributor. But if you are already going to use a distributor with your F.I. system then you will You already will have some of the cost behind you.

The total investment would be about $600-$700 for the intake and the carb.

Then swap out the carb for F.I. after you have the car running and sorted. What I mean by sorted is the suspension is well on the road to nicely tuned, the cooling system is working perfectly, and the rest of the electrical system and everything else is working.

Sometimes it becomes a less than fun thing to have a series of things to get right all at the same time. If you put a out of the box Holley on your motor, set the ignition timing correctly, and add oil you can run the car from there for a while without the added hassle of setting up an F.I. system. You will also be several thousand dollars ahead and you might want to spend it on other things during the first 6mo - year while you sort the rest of the car.

Another thing is when you are ready to put on the F.I. system you just might want a backup carb and intake. You wouldn't be the first guy to give up and put the carb back on.

In the end you can always sell the carb and intake for a total loss of just a few hundred dollars.

The extra year or so will give a you all the time you need to learn all there is to know about F.I. systems. This could be time well spent while you work on the rest of the car.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I'm very much on the same page as Howard rockonsmile

Chat with Fran he can get you more options I'm sure!

Sandy

If you're interested in starting with a 4-bbl let me know as I just installed Webers on my car and have removed my old set up of a Holley 670 Street Avenger with air cleaner and fuel lines, etc. which was mounted on an Edelbrock Air Gap intake. Here is a picture of that setup.
GT4010-04-06170.jpg

larry, seems like i should bow to popular opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how much will your complete set up cost me including transport to frans
workshop???

ricky

Back