RCR40 vs. SLC

Although I have been fixed on doing a RCR40, I am starting to sway to an SLC. From what I can see the SLC will beat the RCR40 hands down in almost every aspect. I am correct? Will a 2005-2006 Ford Gt motor transaxle fit in an SLC? Would appreciate your opinions, thanks.

Last edited:
The question you pose is one that many of us here toy with. For most (and certainly majority on this website GT40s.com) the GT40 is hard to beat as the epitomy of perfect domestic powered supercar/race car.

Yes, the Ricardo transaxle will fit in the SLC. Many transaxles will ant the FordGT's are getting hard to find affordably.

There is really a lot of great reading on here available. The builder of the SLC is moving shops currently and therefore less chatty than usual. Don't take that as standard fare.

I'd love to get a objective comparison between the two. The outer limits of the SLC is going to be higher as it doesn't prescribe to any vintage limitations. the GT40 obviously is limited by the dimensions of the original and therefore has suspension and tire limitations. As many of us that do track time don't need ultimate lap times but are in search of good lap times and ultimate fun, an objective side by side would be incredible. I guess I'll let others that have had either or both make subjective comments in comparison of these machines.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
"From what I can see the SLC will beat the RCR40 hands down in almost every aspect. I am correct?"

"Almost," yes, but not in the most important factor: What do YOU want?

Both great cars, totally different concepts.
If you want to own a modern-day version of a piece of history, go with the Gt40. However, if you want to own a Supercar, go with the SLC.

YOU are the only one that can answer that question.

Enjoy the build, and then enjoy the car. Most of all, have fun with it all!
David

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com Mr Partsman.

Please do us a huge favor and review our rules for the forum here GT40s.com - FAQ and pay particular attention to rule number 2 regarding your user name.
We would appreciate your making the appropriate adjustments.. :thumbsup:

---

SLC and RCR40 share only three things in common.
1) mid engine configuration
2) alloy chassis
3) both are born of RCR

Everything else is simply a matter of what tugs at your heart strings or gives you the firmer chubby...

If you havent already go have a visit, Fran is a great guy but be warned you will still want both of them, the real question is which will you build first???

Another consideration is the GT-40 is a replica of a historic racing car and the SL-C is not a replica, but an original supercar.

Yes, I guess I am trying to compare apples to oranges. Both are sweet and tasty. I agree that one is replica and the other a true modern racecar. Thanks for the feedback and I will call Fran to discuss.

It could come down to what question you want to hear the most...lol

.........Is that a....?
or
.........What is that?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I know which one I'd rather have

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJT6XydpE9U]RCR Ford GT40 - YouTube[/ame]

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Another consideration is the GT-40 is a replica of a historic racing car and the SL-C is not a replica, but an original supercar.

Jack you got me thinking with that one...

Can the SL-C really be called a SuperCar?

It used to be the definition on a SuperCar as one that has been clocked in stock form over 200 MPH. While some of the Road going GT40s may not be in the SuperCar class by that definition, it's competition bretheren certainly were...

Talked with Fran today at RCR, very informative. The current 2005/2006 FGT motor/transaxle will not fit in RCR40 but will in the SLC. Would require some work around for ECU brain. Fran was helpful in describing the differences between his RCR40 and SLC. I could tell he was very proud of the SLC but understood my desire for the RCR40. Was trying to get a ballpark figure for completing a build on either car. I was thinking the following:

$44K SLC all stages
$20K SLC options
$20K SLC Drivetrain
$10K SLC Paint

and

$42K RCR40 Deluxe Plus
$10K RCR40 options
$15K RCR40 Drivetrain
$10K RCR40 Paint

How close am I?

Jack you got me thinking with that one...

Can the SL-C really be called a SuperCar?

It used to be the definition on a SuperCar as one that has been clocked in stock form over 200 MPH. While some of the Road going GT40s may not be in the SuperCar class by that definition, it's competition bretheren certainly were...

Interesting, we'll have to see...

Michael Fling

Supporter
You are very close. Of course the cost of the drivetrain can vary dependent on which engine/transaxial you choose. Sky is the limit. I just got a quote on turbo charging mine and it would add another 20K. Ouch. The numbers you mentioned are very close to what I am spending. Of course there are tires, transport, and interior, along with misc things such as noise dampening material, oil cooler, accusump, etc. etc. to add . I too have around $20K in options, but I am loaded out. My guess is that you could spend less on paint if you are willing to prep. Given the quality of the car, it seems to me that we end up with a remarkable car with a very fair price. I personally lean towards the SLC because it isn't trying to copy anything else. But, that is why they have different offerings. Opinions are like elbows- everybody has one. Now- if my SLC would just arrive in the mail tomorrow!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
$44K SLC all stages
$20K SLC options
$20K SLC Drivetrain
$10K SLC Paint

and

$42K RCR40 Deluxe Plus
$10K RCR40 options
$15K RCR40 Drivetrain
$10K RCR40 Paint
How close am I?

Why the big delta between the SL-C and GT40?
Have you priced real Webers lately? The drive train price difference should be negligable.
10k for paint is about right if you're not counting bodywork too. That is if you are doing a real quality paint job..

Yes the GT40 is a replica of an original series of cars and some people like to say that with a disdainful sneer on their face almost like ot left a bad taste in their mouths.
The SL-C is a gorgeous original car. But how original is it? What I'm trying to say is that there was never really a long production run of factory built SL-Cs that established a baseline for the offering in either the performance or appearance categories. So with that - each and every SL-C is a unique original car that is a reflection of the owner/builder's tastes and talent (not to mention wallet)..
So how much different is the SL-C from the GT40? I don't think its really that different at all..

One of the reasons I bought an SLC was that I could alter it and make it what I wanted in a car without someone saying "you did WHAT to a GT40?" There are no originals, although you will notice Fran and Superlite are doing a pretty good job at getting it some track history and performance creds in short order.

BTW: That GT40 in the vid is sick!...OMG talking about pissing off the neighbors. Poor Pantera owner - although he can actually have a conversation in that car :)

Last edited:
OP: At the risk of insulting your intelligence with the obvious, if you plan on spending time inside the car driving it rather than just looking at it from the outside, I'd suggest you sit in each, if possible.

You may find that the way you fit inside the car and the way the view of the road looks from the driver's seat is much more to your liking in one car as opposed to the other.

This might be the most important factor in deciding between the two choices.

JR

John, you bring up a good point as I have been in Ford GT's and GT40's. The Ford GT is much more comfortable than a GT40. Have not had the opprotunity to be in an SLC. I have been told that the SLC is a more comfortable car to sit in and drive. I am 6'-2" with more leg than body. I discussed this with Fran and his opinion was the SLC would be a better fit for me.

Steve

Supporter
Sorry for the thread drift but.....who's GT40 is in the vid? I'm really interesting in finding out the color. Looks like it could be a Superformance with Guardsman Blue

Back