47.7 KB · Views: 354

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
With a rotary engine for Garry B. :thumbsup:

That car looks positively delicious!!!

However, the driver sits so low, he's not going to see past the front tires as he's turning...
An unfortunate truth in automobile design is that is has to be functional.. :sad:

I also think that the GR1 is beautiful. But, bit of a thread hijack here, I don't understand the wheels. Is there a reason for the alternating wine glass, tumbler configuration or is it simply styling?
Mike

With a rotary engine for Garry B. :thumbsup:
Not to echo what everyone else is saying but holy smokes. That thing is gorgeous. I know Fran is a fan of the Furai so it'd be interesting to hear his take. I'd love to see a rendering of what it could look like in useable form (ie taller cockpit to see past wheel arches).

That is truly one of the best modern race car designs I have seen (and I am no fan of the current Audi or Porsche LeMans cars) I'm thinking that the shoot angle of the 'camera' makes it look really low in the cockpit area, if the point of view was more normal it might look much higher. Those 'headlights' would never make the cut and it seems the open insides of the rear wheel arches would just create turbulence. But it does look wild.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Absoliutley one of the most beautiful, sexy and bad ass looking cars I have ever seen. Hard to combine all of those things... but I believe they have done it.

That car looks positively delicious!!!

However, the driver sits so low, he's not going to see past the front tires as he's turning...
An unfortunate truth in automobile design is that is has to be functional.. :sad:

Take a look at the Nissan LMP1 that was shown during the Superbowl. Not only is it low, but with the front engine and weird driveshaft/gearboxes, the cockpit is way at the back.

I was talking with a guy about it and we both figured they'll have to employ some sort of video system in order to see out the front/side areas when cornering and overtaking.

The Mazda is purty, too bad it is only a digital render. The Furai was drop dead gorgeous, until it ended up in a burnt pile.

Take a look at the Nissan LMP1 that was shown during the Superbowl. Not only is it low, but with the front engine and weird driveshaft/gearboxes, the cockpit is way at the back.

I was talking with a guy about it and we both figured they'll have to employ some sort of video system in order to see out the front/side areas when cornering and overtaking.

The Mazda is purty, too bad it is only a digital render. The Furai was drop dead gorgeous, until it ended up in a burnt pile.

That Nissan LMP has wider front tires (14") than the rear tires (9"). It is as ugly as the delta wing crap that was raced last year.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Life on a racing circuit is not a video game... I would never buckle-up in a car that I had to rely on electronics just to see... That includes rear view mirrors..

Then too I may be alone in that - but I seriously doubt it...

There was hub-bub for years in many racing circles just in getting throttle-by-wire accepted...

Life on a racing circuit is not a video game... I would never buckle-up in a car that I had to rely on electronics just to see... That includes rear view mirrors...

Auto Manufacturers are already petitioning the DOT to allow camera rear/side view mirrors rather than glass. I believe I saw an SLC racecar running with cameras for sideview mirrors.

There was hub-bub for years in many racing circles just in getting throttle-by-wire accepted...

....and now common on more cars than not. Electronics are playing a huge role in systems management, anti-lock, anti-skid, throttle, steering, engine/transmission management. I think it is great, we can have 700 hp engines that get good gas mileage, tremendous acceleration, terrific handling, have good manners in traffic and will go 100,000 miles with very little maintenance. Its sad to see organizations like NASCAR stuck in the caveman era with carbs and mechanical systems and yet pretend to represent modern autos.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I know nothing of your background, but I drove in wheel to wheel competition for many years and I'm only relating what I would do etc...

If you've ever buckled in and gone at it for an hour or more in close/contact competition and you still like the idea of having electronics being your eyes, then more power to you..

And yes, I am fully aware of all the various control systems we have in cars today. You'll still have a much harder time finding a professional driver that likes the idea of drive by wire / anti-lock brakes / anti-skid, etc...

BTW, not that I'm into NASCAR, but since you use them as a CAVEMAN example - do you have any idea what they are using for engines and control systems these days and have been for some time now? Seems not..

Okay - so re-boot your XBox and head back out onto the track...

You are correct, you don't know my background, I am only relating to what I would do. Yes, I know that NASCAR has allow limited Fuel injection since 2012, but only limited, it may expand in 2017.

By the way, I do not own an X-Box, but that was another supposition on your part.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Perhaps the FAA will allow civilian aircraft to have monitors instead of windscreens... No? Why not??? Certainly it's safer to fly than to race - right?

BTW - Nice work with google on NASCAR but you should have read more... It's the mainstay of induction for the Sprint Cup cars...

Perhaps the FAA will allow civilian aircraft to have monitors instead of windscreens... No? Why not??? Certainly it's safer to fly than to race - right? QUOTE]

Already available, its called synthetic vision, it allows pilots to see in blind conditions. And yes it is safer to fly than race, but that never stopped me from driving racecars or flying :thumbsup:. I love both, and love how electronics has made both better and safer.

The only thing I can say is that this is turning into every Nissan GTR thread I have ever read. Basically great car TECHNICALLY BUT HORRIBLE DRIVERS CAR. Electronics have and lets face it were designed to cover up or mask the individuals short comings as a driver and on a race track that can be very dangerous. If you need all the nanny aids to pilot any car around the track with any proficiency than guess what YOU HAVE TO MUCH CAR FOR YOU!

Back