RCR's Next car should be.....

The most beautiful race cars were designed in the 50s, 60s, and 80s. Fran pretty much covers all of those periods with the D Type, 40s, 70s, 917, P4, and 962. The SLC pretty much fits into the late 80s race cars too.

Fran's newest car, the Apex, is what you should look at if you want a "futuristic" design. I think it fits in with today's cars very well.

Here's a modern, old school car from 1970. The bell bottoms are a dead give away. I still think the SLC with the race tail looks like a bit like the ass end of this Bertone/ Lancia Zero. Climbing in the windshield was a bit of a stretch though...

Attachments

• lanci stratos zero.jpg
    lanci stratos zero.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 372
I agree about the vaydor, it's a sharp looking car but I don't like how the engine is still in front and the back looks like a lambo. That front end looks like a custom evo X front, that front end on the apex would be amazing!

I like the idea of a possible 'freshening up' of the SL-C with a LeMans prototype design. If the new body would fit right on the current SL-C chassis, I'm sure a few current SL-C people would also purchase the new body, as well.

These new LeMans prototypes seem to have some different dimensions. A deal breaker??
specs:
Le Mans P1 Audi R18
length 4650 mm (183.1 in) / width 2000 mm (78.7 in) / wheelbase (118.7in) / height 1030 mm (40.6 in)

Superlite SL-C
Length: 168 inches (4267mm) - excluding rear wing / Width: 74 inches (1880mm) / Wheelbase: 105 inches (2667mm) / Height: 43 inches (1092mm)

Daytona Prototype Specs
Length 177.5 in/ width 78.5 in/ wheelbase 110.0 / height 41.0 in

1359651742.jpg

DOMEhalfscale.jpg

DOMECFD-280513.jpg

The SLC already does look like a LeMans prototype. And it does so while being able to run on the street. None of those cars could be raised up enough to be streetable. NOr are they very practical from an ergonomics point of view.

Want a LeMans prototype? That's what the LMP is, and it's pretty quick right out of the box.

Here's a modern, old school car from 1970. The bell bottoms are a dead give away. I still think the SLC with the race tail looks like a bit like the ass end of this Bertone/ Lancia Zero. Climbing in the windshield was a bit of a stretch though...

Always thought this car was an amazing design from an aesthetics point of view, but it's completely impractical for a whole bunch of reasons. I think it looks dated and kind of screams "VW Bug based kit-car".

web630-bertone-ve11r10514.jpg

Trying to drive this thing in traffic would be a nightmare due to the three-quarter rear vision. Another issue is the logistics of getting into the thing. Step in and pull the steering column towards yourself.

Bertone-Lancia-Stratos-HF-Zero-Concept-1970-Photo-11-800x600.jpg

Then it gets real cozy.

1970_Bertone_Lancia_Stratos_Zero_Schlegelmilch_10.jpg

This is no spacious SLC.

And there's safety......Your feet are in Porsche 917 territory.

original.jpg

People will risk their tootsies because it's a 917 replica, but not, I fear, for what looks like a glorified kit-car.

Doing in update on the SLC has it's merits. One criticism you hear aimed at the Ultima GTR is that it looks dated. While I've always liked its appearance, it is way overdue for a makeover. The SLC is younger, but it has been around for a while and maybe a few tweaks would work without alienating those of us with dreams of future ownership.

You have to be careful though. One of the SLC's greatest attributes is field of vision and it's a well known fact that a lot of modern prototype coupes have extremely poor side and rear three-quarter vision. The high front fenders also cause issues with accurate positioning of the car to apexes. This is a bit of an issue in race use, but could cause really serious issues in a road car.

Based on the mods many builders are doing, it seems one area that people feel it needs a change is larger side air intakes.

Although Fran has issues with the Miura from an authenticity point of view due to the transverse V12 of the original, it was THE bedroom poster car before the Countach was even a twinkle in Lambourghini's eye. That potential nostalgia market has validity. Surely a good V8 front-wheel drive drive-train placed in the rear would be easy to live with? The 917 replicas out there aren't running flat 12s are they?

The original is an icon.

Lamborghini-Miura-02.jpg

The second coming of the Miura has even more possibilities due to it's more modern appearance.

lamborghini-miura-wallpapers.jpg

0603_lamborghini_miura_01_1400.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Stewart
Supporter
If you are going to go retro, I always reckoned the Alfa Carabo (based on the P33) was a stunning looking car for 1968...

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 255
  • Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    5.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Unknown-3.jpeg
    Unknown-3.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 296
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 251

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Thanks Jack. Didn't know that existed. Not a patch on the original however (IMHO).

Absolute garbage for a VW floorpan.

This is the problem. Too many de-bodied Pipplewagens with usually poorly proportioned and finished facsimiles of concept cars have soiled the psyche of potential buyers.

A lot of time and investment could be spent on something that will be wrongly perceived as just another 70's style kit. Those in the know will realize it has sound engineering underneath it, but they might not be interested in something that doesn't have an iconic provenance attached.

I found pictures of the Alfa Carabo while looking for old concept car pictures. The fact it's been done poorly before puts it out of the picture and it doesn't have the provenance that will make it desirable.

Those cars always looked like rolling door wedges to me. I've seen a few Fiberfab kits and they're hideous. I think Fran could build one of the F1 cars of the past or maybe a second gen SLC (not really needed right now since the current car is doing so well).

But most of all, I wanna see the new "truck" he's been talking about.

OK Justin...here you go.

We have already waterjetted and laser cut the first of these and we are assembling it right now...there is no body work per se as its a monocoque chassis up front and the exterior shapes are the chassis....

Attachments

• truck front 1 [640x480].jpg
    truck front 1 [640x480].jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,100
  • truck side view [640x480].jpg
    truck side view [640x480].jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 886
  • truck rear qtr [640x480].jpg
    truck rear qtr [640x480].jpg
    31 KB · Views: 788
OK Justin...here you go.

We have already waterjetted and laser cut the first of these and we are assembling it right now...there is no body work per se as its a monocoque chassis up front and the exterior shapes are the chassis....
Seriously incredible Fran!!! As someone who loves off road rigs as much as performance cars, this makes me VERY happy. You are actually going to make it so that I only ever have to buy your vehicles... except my JK.

LS3? Street legal?

Back