Renato's GT40 MkI Coyote

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Chassis

Scuffed up mating surfaces with scotch pad and put a bead of epoxy on the chassis. Put the pan back and the race begun. The rivet gun got stuck few times, too much pressure and it would pull the ball out of rivet. Lowered the pressure and from there on it went well. 362 rivets later I have a finished belly.
I'm using McMaster - Sealing Blind Rivet Domed, 18-8 SS, 1/8" Diameter, .125"-.188" for the pan (97524A040).

Time to turn it right side up!

Renato

Attachments

• Renato's GT40 028.jpg
    Renato's GT40 028.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 765
  • Renato's GT40 030.jpg
    Renato's GT40 030.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 765
  • Renato's GT40 031.jpg
    Renato's GT40 031.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 776
  • Renato's GT40 032.jpg
    Renato's GT40 032.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 708
  • Renato's GT40 033.jpg
    Renato's GT40 033.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 805

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Suspension

I purchased a pair of 04 Mustang spindles with hubs to use for front. I've cut the extra metal I don't need and machined the spindles to fit the aluminum uprights I got with the kit. Now I have spindles with 04 Mustang hubs and bearings.

Renato

Attachments

• Renato's GT40 039.jpg
    Renato's GT40 039.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 747
  • Renato's GT40 040.jpg
    Renato's GT40 040.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 759
  • Renato's GT40 037.jpg
    Renato's GT40 037.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 803
  • Renato's GT40 038.jpg
    Renato's GT40 038.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 815
  • Renato's GT40 042.jpg
    Renato's GT40 042.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 782

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Chassis

Working on making templates for cutting aluminum panels. I have to say, when you start on a project like this, you know you will be doing all kinds of different type of work. Some you find easy and some you find hard, for whatever reason. Making paper panels was harder than I anticipated. Any way, almost done with paper and next is the real thing. Pictures do them justice, not pretty... LOL

Renato

Attachments

• Renato's GT40 048.jpg
    Renato's GT40 048.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 803
  • Renato's GT40 049.jpg
    Renato's GT40 049.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 815
  • Renato's GT40 050.jpg
    Renato's GT40 050.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 763

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Steering

To get my mind off paneling I test fitted my steering column. Cut of some original brackets that I cant use. Made a front bracket but I think it is not strong enough. Maybe I need to reinforce the whole mounting. Torque is significant and I don't want the column to snap off in a sharp turn. The front bracket still needs to be done. All in all the fit is good, steering is roughly where it needs to be, when the quick disconnect goes in it will push the steering back a few inches. The shaft will be going center between the brake and clutch pedal.

Renato

Attachments

• Renato's GT40 046.jpg
    Renato's GT40 046.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 878
  • Renato's GT40 051.jpg
    Renato's GT40 051.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 836
  • Renato's GT40 052.jpg
    Renato's GT40 052.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 946
Looking at your mounting pics. I think your column should be mounted and located after you put in your seats and your dash(or did you do that already). I can't tell a lot so this may be off the mark, but your column based on the position of your steering wheel apears too high. Doesn't look like you have enough room for the dash or are you building a custom unit?? With my dash in, the steering wheel barely tops the dash. It is just a bare shaft straight to the rack with only one uni at the rack(for now). This barely clears my shoes at present. That is one of the reasons I want to go to the power unit. That and I have a bum shoulder.
Install the dash temporarily and then try to fit your column. My mounting brackets need to be further in away from the driver. Your frame may be different from mine in that area.

Bill

Renato:
I read with interest what you did with the front uprights...very sensible upgrade as you should be able to fit some awesome brakes there.
What bill says about the steering is spot on and I can tell you that I had minimal room to fit my column inside the space on the dash moulding, and it needed to be located with the dash in place and then attached to the bracket up top.
I also would recommend that you put a seat or something that duplicates the seating position and get in and actually check it out that way.
When my dash was out the bracket looked totally out of place, but it fits well, and the column ended up to the left of my pedals.
Great looking build by the way
Cheers
Phil

Hi Renato, you are doing an awsome job! the paneling is a very tedious job, thank god there are no compound curves! I restored my series 2 super seven Lotus years ago and the paneling took the most time. One quick question, what is holding the spindle into the uprights, its hard to tell from the pics, also what are you doing for a drive train, keep up the good work, all the best, Neville, Miller Place, Long Island.

It's partly my fault about the dash not being in place for him to do the measuring. The LHD dash wasn't ready when his crate was shipped so they shipped it to me with my crate and I need to forward it on to Renato. Getting the massive thing boxed up has been a pain. Having to build a box of sorts out of several to ship it. Should go out by next Saturday (gotta go buy another box to cap off an end).

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bill,

You are right, I should have the dash and seats in to do the steering. At this point I have neither so I left a lot of room for adjustment. The rear mount should stay where it is (hopefully) and the front bracket I'll adjust to the dash when I get it. As Darrin mentioned it was shipped later with his crate. From the steering I should have two universals to the rack and the way it looks it shouldn't be a problem, they line up good. Also the quick disconnect should extend the steering further towards the seat. Now, I might be in for a surprise when I get the dash, we'll see.

Renato

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Phil,

My build has a small budget so I try to come up with solutions that I can easily accomplish with material here in US. I'm planing to use brake components from a 2012 Mustang for budget reasons. Future might bring something better but for now...
I did put a mock up seat and the steering location felt OK, but again, without the dash I'm just playing around to get my mind off paneling LOL.
Thanks for the encouragement, I read your build thread and you have done some fantastic design and fabrication work. Back when I looked at your thread I was thinking about scratch building the chassis. Good think I didn't go that route, there is so much work. I have so much respect for you guys that do scratch build!

Renato

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Neville,

Thanks!
The spindles are press fit to the uprights and secured with bolt from the back, same as the original spindles.
For the transaxle I have a Audi 01E DQS. The box needs a good cleaning and I might put in a LSD if budget permits. Still thinking about the adapter and the clutch. Rear uprights are from the kit and I'm not sure what to do with the rear hubs and axles. Still working on finding an off the shelf solution.
You're welcome to stop by any time. I'm not that far from you.

Renato

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Darrin,

It's certainly not your fault. You were very nice to receive my parts in your crate and forward them to me. Thanks!

Renato

Hi Renato, next time I take out the CAV I will try to give you a call and try to stop by, i just finnished installing new MSD in car, unit packed it in 2 weeks ago when me and my wife took a drive to Bridgehamton when the roads were clean to blow the cobwebs out, car died just like someone yanked the coil wire out, no such luck, got stuck on the side of the road, luckily got my son to flat tow us back to the house, forget about trying to get a tow truck on a saturday night around here! Are you still racing Karts! shifters or? I have 3 karts__ !1 is championship winning Go Kart 800 from the sixties, 1 old margay in pieces, 1 methanol Brigs 15 years old for my boys.If the weather ever gets nice again and roads clean up I will call you for directions, I work in LLoyd Harbor, not to far from you, all the best for now, Neville.

Renato:
Post up a photo of your rear uprights, maybe one of us here on the forum could suggest a solution.
A lot depends on the face and construction of the uprights whether you will need a bolt-up bearing or do something internally.
Cheers
Phil

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Chassis

Fabricated panels for inside including front bulkhead and dry fitted. Also fabricated panels for wheel wells and front compartment. Dry fitted all the panels.
Cut holes in bulkhead for cooling pipes and steering shaft. Hydraulic punch is a great tool to make any size hole in sheet metal. I'll probably need to enlarge the holes later. Not a lot of room for the pipes to pass through the steering rack area. I'll cut the cover around the cooling pipes later.
Drilled and cleaned the front panels and riveted them in place. The sealant is messy and sticky but mineral spirits do a nice job of cleaning the extra.
Talking about cleaning, I think I need to clean the garage... naa... I'll rather work on the car...

Renato

Attachments

• Renato's GT40 059.jpg
    Renato's GT40 059.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 801
  • Renato's GT40 060.jpg
    Renato's GT40 060.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 769
  • Renato's GT40 072.jpg
    Renato's GT40 072.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 716
  • Renato's GT40 073.jpg
    Renato's GT40 073.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 664
  • Renato's GT40 074.jpg
    Renato's GT40 074.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 736
  • Renato's GT40 075.jpg
    Renato's GT40 075.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 644
  • Renato's GT40 076.jpg
    Renato's GT40 076.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 673
  • Renato's GT40 079.jpg
    Renato's GT40 079.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 813
  • Renato's GT40 080.jpg
    Renato's GT40 080.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 785
  • Renato's GT40 082.jpg
    Renato's GT40 082.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 818

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Neville,
That really is a bummer, I'm surprised you can load the car on a flatbed. Isn't the car too low? Defiantly stop by next time you're out.
Last year I didn't race once, I was so busy at work. I'm still in Yamaha pipe class, wanted to upgrade but now I have another hobby so pipe is it. I'm planning to go racing few times this year when the season starts, just for fun. Did you ever race at the Colosseum?

Regards,
Renato

Hi Renato, next time I take out the CAV I will try to give you a call and try to stop by, i just finnished installing new MSD in car, unit packed it in 2 weeks ago when me and my wife took a drive to Bridgehamton when the roads were clean to blow the cobwebs out, car died just like someone yanked the coil wire out, no such luck, got stuck on the side of the road, luckily got my son to flat tow us back to the house, forget about trying to get a tow truck on a saturday night around here! Are you still racing Karts! shifters or? I have 3 karts__ !1 is championship winning Go Kart 800 from the sixties, 1 old margay in pieces, 1 methanol Brigs 15 years old for my boys.If the weather ever gets nice again and roads clean up I will call you for directions, I work in LLoyd Harbor, not to far from you, all the best for now, Neville.

Looking brilliant Renato. You really are cracking on with it! Have you done any panel drawings or are you going straight from template to metal?

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jayson,

Thanks for the kind words.
I'm going directly from template to aluminum. After the test fit I do tweak them to better fit. Aluminum doesn't conform as the paper does. Then drill, cleco, drill, cleco, deburr, clean, cleco... and then some more... :laugh:.

I like your template work, looks first class, specially the purple.

Renato

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Chassis

Cut panels for both wheel wells. Test fitted with cleco's. Deburred, put way too much sealer and riveted both sides. I've been really trigger happy with the sealer, need to scale down. It's not that hard to clean or remove when dry.
Continuing on towards the radiator.

What is best way to finish around suspension points?

Renato

Attachments

• Renato's GT40 086.jpg
    Renato's GT40 086.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 655
  • Renato's GT40 088.jpg
    Renato's GT40 088.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 772
  • Renato's GT40 089.jpg
    Renato's GT40 089.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 685
  • Renato's GT40 092.jpg
    Renato's GT40 092.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 710

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Chassis

Continuing towards the radiator. It required a bit of fiddling to get the angles right.

Question: Should I panel as in the last picture or leave it as it is?

Renato

Attachments

• Renato's GT40 097.jpg
    Renato's GT40 097.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 621
  • Renato's GT40 099.jpg
    Renato's GT40 099.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 727
  • Renato's GT40 101.jpg
    Renato's GT40 101.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 594
  • Renato's GT40 102.jpg