Residual Valves Question

Can forum members please give me some clarity on residual valves in a certain setup.

I have put floor mounted pedals in with the cylinders mounted on the rear. I've then mounted the resevoir inside the car, bt it is roughly in line with were resevoirs would be if they were top hung.

Is it the location of the master cylinder or the resevoir that matters and therefore the potential need for valves? Or can you still use, but there may be more pedal travel?

20140623_212956 by Brett-GT40, on Flickr

It's the location of the master cylinder and you need them if the master cylinder is lower than the calipers.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I've used 2# residual valves on a number of cars without regard to the proximity of the master cylinders to the calipers. It was done to maintain a higher brake pedal with the smaller diameter masters and it works great!

My setup is very similar to yours Brett - as previously said, check the resovoir is higher than your calipers pistons - No valves on my car.

Thanks Chris and Paul,
Probably more scope (and easier) to move the reservoir as high up as possible. It should be above the horizontal plane now, but no harm in being sure :)

Brett

Thanks once again. I loked and realised I could move the resevoir up - so it's up by about 3". Hopefully should be in a position to try and bleed the hydraulics soon, as it is one of the tasks I've decided for engine start... and before you ask, it's because I plan to start the engine (hopefully) on the drive and it's on a slight slope and then a bump up into the garage and rather a lot of effort if you do it by hand!

20140624_195819 by Brett-GT40, on Flickr

Back