Rf 117

Iain

When does the flag drop for the first race?
would love to get allong and watch. given notice, could probably plan something.

We hope to get it out on the track this year, but initially it will only be to start the "sorting out " process. Depending on how that all goes our season, like Ross N, will commence late Feb early March. You should ask Ross when his next race is, the cars are the same except his goes and mine does'nt !

Ross,

The racing weight of the car ( The weight as you finish a race, with driver still in the car, residual fuel etc etc) will exceed the 1100 kg mark, do you know what you weigh in at ?

Regards

Iain

After a long and tortuous process we have finally resolved the intake trumpets, for anyone who is considering a cross over intake system with 52mm dia butterflys........ dont'..... it does'nt fit !

Iain

Attachments

• R0010970.jpg
    R0010970.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,321
  • R0010971.jpg
    R0010971.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,260
  • R0010976.jpg
    R0010976.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,406
  • R0010977.jpg
    R0010977.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,374
Oooh, jealous! Very nice...still happy with my DC&O setup, but carbon bling and the crossover look is that much better. Is that a slide throttle setup, or butterflys?

I've got the same rocker covers on order (along with the rest of the motor parts from the states - if they ever get here...), but in black with red script to match my colour scheme.

Keep the updates coming please!

Hi Julian,

I have a DC & O setup on the Cobra, we managed to squeeze some fairly serious horse power out of it and I would not hesitate to recomend it especially for road use. This system uses a butterfly set up but on reflection we should have gone with the slide system and stayed with oval all the way thru.....you live and learn !

iain

Hi Jim'
No Terry did not do the intake manifold, but I wish he did ! It would have taken a significant amount of design time from Terry as he would have been starting from scratch, but I just know the result would have been better, we have had a series of problems to resolve that were just not thought through with this supplier. It is not my intention to name him as he is well intentioned but well the experience is one I would rather forget

iain

I can see the linkages must be on the inside off the valley that will be interesting if that is the case.

Still a lot of work and a huge undertaking.

Jim

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Lain
I've weighed my car at 1060kg without my 75kg body in it. I'm hoping to get some weight out of the rear clip and anywhere else I can. So my car is borderline on the weight/wheel size issue. I may have to fit those support bars your car has from the firewall back to rear crossmember, had car on the hoist after motor dramas looking at bearings and there was a fair bow in the chassis. I've finally got my wheel rims on the go so hope to have it sorted by start of next season.The old motor is a bit lacking in the power dept so I'm looking forward to the new stroker.Ill be putting the 4 barrel on it with air cleaner.Found quite a lot of piston to wall clearance in the race motor block, I put that down to the lack of air cleaners on trumpets. I find there is a shortage of elbow room in the car which I've made worse by fitting the anti roll bar adjustor on centre console, so try to leave as much room in this area as you can.What size throttle plates did you end up with?
Ross

Ryan

If you are looking at the round disks with holes in them I think they maybe for mounting the fuel rails as they are in the same plane as the injectors.
The throttle shafts look awfully short on the outside of the body.
Iain may clarify.

Jim

Lain
The old motor is a bit lacking in the power dept so I'm looking forward to the new stroker.Ill be putting the 4 barrel on it with air cleaner.
Ross

NOW you are getting somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more late nights thinking ,"" No where the bloody hell did that wire go'''.

Jac Mac

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Sorry Jac Mac it will be a 4 barrel Motec setup so the wiring will still be there. I'm ok with wires but then I've worked with them all my working life.
So I find myself thinking "Now where the heck does that bolt go?":)
Ross

The throttle linkages run on the inside and the bell crank will sit outside the air box back towards the collectors.

The butterflys are 52mm which is what caused a fair few problems with the cross over system

Ross, does your race engine run a dry sump ? Its a pain in the perverbial to install but once it is in place you can concentrate on driving rather than checking the oil pressure guage ! We did try an accumulator on the Cobra but even with that at Phillip Island it would tale a good 100 meters after the final corner onto the straight to build the pressure back to a safe level, If you have sorted your handling problems your corner speeds will increase with all the associated surge problems.

Iain

Iain

Re - Fuel Fillers

Does anybody out there know where we might find flexible pipe (50mm?)suitable for fuel with 90 deg bends ? (To transfer from the fuel filler on the front clip to the neck of the fuel tank,)

Iain

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Iain

As you are in Sydney the best place would be Pick and Payless at Blacktown
and take your tools as you can walk through the wrecking yard and choose the parts you need directly off the cars.

They have thousands of cars and models and makes with filler pipes of all different angles sizes.

I went through the same exercise with my build.

Dimi

Back