Rf 117

if you could post pics of your prototype that would be great i am fitting the same lights as you i originally had mounting bolts through the front but didn't like the look of it so starting again

Sorry to be so slow to get back, hope this helps.

Darrell DRB#46

Attachments

• drawing-1.jpg
    drawing-1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,170
  • bottom-1.jpg
    bottom-1.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 1,182
  • top-1.jpg
    top-1.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 1,194
Shelby Jackets,

Does anybody know where I would find a supplier of the "original" jacket that CS used to wear at the track, white with a quilted front & back, two white stripes up each arm ?

Iain

Iain, I have sold the silver elise (avatar pic) to Simon Hogg, who races Goeff Morgans 944. He & Goeff will share it in 1-hours.
My brother & I have bought another elise which is more race oriented. It has supercharged honda engine, and we have fitted an intercooler over christmas. Dynoed at 190kw at the rear wheels. On the scales at 715kg. We took it to wakefield last weekend for a shake-down (on OLD rubber) and brother Dave did a very comfy 1:03/. Should be able to cope with the VW's now. GT40's on the other hand............. could be a real challenge!
We are looking forward to the year in this car. We plan to share it in Proddy 1-hour series.
There should be a few of our Honda conversions running this year: Justin Levis, Bob Pearson, Me & Dave, Simon Hogg.

When do you expect to debut the Gt40?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Iain, I have sold the silver elise (avatar pic) to Simon Hogg, who races Goeff Morgans 944. He & Goeff will share it in 1-hours.
My brother & I have bought another elise which is more race oriented. It has supercharged honda engine, and we have fitted an intercooler over christmas. Dynoed at 190kw at the rear wheels. On the scales at 715kg. We took it to wakefield last weekend for a shake-down (on OLD rubber) and brother Dave did a very comfy 1:03/. Should be able to cope with the VW's now. GT40's on the other hand............. could be a real challenge!
We are looking forward to the year in this car. We plan to share it in Proddy 1-hour series.
There should be a few of our Honda conversions running this year: Justin Levis, Bob Pearson, Me & Dave, Simon Hogg.

When do you expect to debut the Gt40?

Sounds like a bit of a weapon Tim, maybe you should start a thread in the race track forum so we can follow your progress.

Water Pump Impellors,

Is there any body out there with detailed knowledge of impellor design for water pumps ? I have tried all the usual suspects, Stewart, Edelbrock etc etc but cant seem to get to the actual design theory on the impellor

Iain

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have more information at home (if I can find it) but use this for starters - You want to understand how Centrifugal water pumps work and how they are designed.
Centrifugal pump - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like I said I have more data points but I need to search for them as they are on my old computer..

Circle track magazine did a tech series on reverse flow cooling about a decade ago which had several good leads to manufacturers who were developing products in this area. If you can get 'in' with some of the better engine folk in aussie supercars I think you will find the answers your looking for. Probably have take a vow of silence though!

Jac Mac

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Iain,
what exactly is the problem.
A lot of pump problems are caused by the system design rather than the pump itself.

Hi Iain

Try John Bennet at Ecotrans, I think the new # is 03 9338 5311.
Not sure if he still does them, but the CNC bronze impellors were a piece of art.
There were numerous write ups in mags about his pumps and bypass systems awhile ago.

Clayton

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Iain - I could not find the data I was looking for so I went in search for you and happened upon some of the information I had stored previously. Like Jac - I've made great reference out of Circle Track Magazine - I used to love reading Smokey Yunick's column.. Speaking of Smokey, as I recall his adiabatic engine used reverse flow cooling and a custom (wasn't everything) water pump of his own design.

Here's a good informative article on Evans NPG which addresses the design of the impeller not to a great depth, but some..
Circle Track - August 1997

Centrifugal pump design - step 3 for beginners

The key thing to control in a high RPM design and implementation is cavitation. The more turbulence you have in the pump housing (volute) the greater the opportunity. Of course yet another key is the design and execution of the impeller blades.

I'll still continue my search for my own files as I am really curious what became of them as we had done some experimentation with pumps for high RPM SBC applications that worked out quite well at the time on engines that turned from 4000 to 9500 RPM.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input,

When we had the engine up on the bench dyno we / they got things up to an acceptable level for HP & Torque, when trying to stretch the envelope they discovered problems at the top end of the rev range
Initially we thought the spark was unable to cope with the C/R
Then we thought the fuel octane rateing might be the culprit
It transpires that the water pump was not flowing enought volume/pressure consequentially generating steam pockets in the heads and subsequent detonation !

When they dsconnected the engine water pump and attached a swimming pool pump the Power & Torque curve smoothed out and all traces of detonation disappeared ! (The bench dyno has a water large tank that supplies the engine, it is not a closed radiator loop as it will be when installed)

So we beleive the problem lies in the ability of the pump at the extreem end of the rev range which for us is around 7500

I have spoken with John Bennett, he is now working from home on R&D project into diesel powered engines, he has offered to help and I plan to try and get to see him next week( He supplied the water pump assembly for my Cobra which has worked perfectly for the last 7 years, even on the hottest days when we get held on the start grid for extended periods of time we just sit on 85 deg)

Iain

Hi Randy,

Just read your link page (Circle Track) that sounds interesting !

Where is North Sharon, CT 06069 or more importantly what is their time zone, I think I need to talk to them

Thanks

Iain

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Iain,

CT is Connecticut USA and they are on Eastern Standard Time..

Smokey Yunick as one of the first to recognize that the flow of the coolant was not just important to making and controlling HP, but significantly important to the successful creation of HP in the higher RPM ranges. The Reverse Flow systems would concentrate the input of the cooler water from the radiator into the heads first to control combustion chamber and valve pocket temps, then the pre-heated water would be ushered past the cylinders where the least amount of cooling is actually needed but the stability of the higher temperature aids in the control of the cylinder-wall / ring interface as well as allowing tighter clearances for the pistons. Later they came up with the higher silicone content pistons that are now known as Hypereutectic pistons.

For the purposes of my GT40, I will be using remote electric cooling and may well do a reverse flow system - but first I need to do more research and have a better understanding of the current SBF cooling system design.

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Iain,
you cannot compare performance of the pump on a dyno to in the car, especially so with a water tank and not closed loop.

Trevor,

We are assuming that the performance of the pump will be worse not better once it is in the car with the closed system, what is your opinion ?

Iain

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Iain,
I would suggest that it may well perform better in the car than on the dyno.
Typically engine pumps are circulating pumps, dont deliver a lot of pressure but lots of flow. In closed system the inlet is "supercharged" by the oulet. (simplified description) This is why system design is important to allow flow without restriction.
I would also suggest you check with your Cyl head supplier, running on a dyno the engine was probably level, the heads/ manifold may not be able to run level but need an incline as is the norm in normal cars. The internal casting may trap steam which the std pump could not flush out but the pool pump could thru sheer volume of water pumped.
I do not profess to be an expert in water pumps, but I do know the theory behind them and have solved a few perceived "water pump" problems without doing any thing to the pump.

Back