Rf 117

Hey Ian,
If you're using the standard RF tanks, then speak to Paul from RF as they have them in stock. Otherwise you can borrow mine to copy for a couple of weeks. PM me if interested as I'm not far.

Hi Iain,

these parts are in stock but the std RF set up uses an ally "swan neck" from the base of the filler and then a straight piece of 50mm diam fuel hose from the base of the neck down to the tank.

I am in Perth for a week but please chat to Owen or Jonathan at RF if you need help with these bits.

Regards Paul

Front Windscreens

Even as I type the headline it seems a little arcane, "Windscreen" ?
Anyway I am trying to solve the demisting problem that I am sure we are about to encounter Australia has ben in drought for the last XXX years so this problem has been ignored during my build programme, it has rained heavily for two recent race meetings so this issue has suddenly come back into sharp focus ! With absolutley no soft (absorbent) finishes inside the cockpit I am expecting serious problems with the front screen misting up when it rains, the Group A cars here all use a screen with a filament embedded in it that can be powered up for wet races, I have a quote from Pilkington that is greater than the national debt, would anybody care to participate in a cost defrayal arrangement ?

Iain

This stuff might be of use to avoid a custom windscreen.
I've no idea on price so I'd be interested if you come up with a cost.
The site says they go to 11" x 22" as the largest size which might be ok?

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Iain,

Failing that, have you tried Rain-X Anti Fog wipes?

Rain-X: Outsmart the Elements | Wiper Blades, Windshield Treatments, Weather, Bug and Tar repellent products for your car

A good wipe over on the inside before you line up on the grid usually does the trick. Used them in my TR7V8 to good effect. There always seemed to be unplugged holes in the floor (it wasn't seam welded) and steam from water splashing onto the exhausts was quite a problem on the screen. Rain-X 's other product, Water Repellent, works well on the outside too.

I remember on a tarmac rally, before I found Rain-X, doing a tight twisty stage with big drops into a gorge. My co driver and I decided we were safer going through the stage without seatbelts on so we could lean forward and wipe the screen rather than having the belts on and not being able to see where we were going! Hairy stuff! Fortunately conditions were that bad that officials couldn't see either! Thank God we found Rain-X soon after....

Cheers,

Last edited:
Headlights,

Can anybody help with finding some headlights for the car? I am looking for something that would be similar to the new GT set up, ie two small round lights rather than the traditional rectangular unit. I really want someting that is blindingly bright (not for road use) that sends a "get out of my way message" all the new European cars seem to have them these days

Regards

Iain

Iain,
Try looking at these: Compact 90mm Gas Discharge (HID) Headlamp | Lamps & Accessories | Demon Tweeks Motorsport, Motorcycle, Modifying, Parts and Accessories

They are Hella units that are only 90mm. They also do them in standard Halogen for a lot less here (down the bottom of the page): Stafford Vehicle Components - Headlights

They are the same type that have been used in the Elise and TVRs and some WRC cars.

EDIT: BTW if you choose these and can't get them over there, I can ask my sister-in-law if she would bring them back to Oz for you at the end of Jan. She lives over in Lane Cove.

Brett

Last edited:
Hi Iain,

Tornado Sports Cars now offers a headlight kit that looks similar to the new Ford GT.

They are available in both incandescent and HID types.

Please contact Andy Sheldon in England for details.

Cheers,
Scott

Brett,

Thanks for the information, both look promising, I will contact them during the week.

What is the significance of your avatar, is it a prize for the "last of the late brakers" ?

Iain

Hi Ian,
Hella Aust sell lights as per your request, Main beam with position light 12 volt, Part Number 1030-12V and the Low beam 12 volt Part Number 1029-12v.
You could probably find them on their web site.
A gentleman in Newcastle is using the twin round lights in his DRB GT40.
Looks good.

Thanks,
Neil

What is the significance of your avatar, is it a prize for the "last of the late brakers" ?

Iain,
Not quite :) they are my front brakes as I originally got them. They look a little more like the below now.

BTW if you are trying to acheive the look of the new GT, don't forget to add the piece that makes it look like a 100 inset into the lights (an alleged piece of corporate vanity for the centenary).

If you get a picture back from Andy, could you post, as I can't find any details on the Tornado? Years ago I had the same idea as you, and had exactly the same lights I have posted about, but have now reverted back to some Renault 12 lights for a more original look.

Brett

Attachments

• DSC01300.jpg
    DSC01300.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,371
Engine Build Underway

Well we have finally started assembling the engine, the bottom end is now finalised after a few false starts with the crank clipping the block firstly, and then the skirt on the piston, the block was relatively easy to sort , for the pistons we had to send the crank back to the machine shop for a bit of reworking, then back to have it re-balanced etc etc, why is everything so hard ?

Anyway we have now been able to measure and order push rods which should be the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle, (I hope I dont live to regret those words.)

I have included a picture of the cam followers we use, they are from Crane and are called "Hippos" you can just see a small bore hole that allows oil to be delivered under presure fromrockonsmile the Cam shaft gallery onto the needle rollers, we have used these for the last 4 seasons and to date the have held up for the entire season, prior to that we were experiencing needle roller failures.

My engine builder will not be drwan on the numbers he expects but given the amount of time and money they had better be bloody good

Regards

Iain

Iain attached are a couple of shots of my DRB with the Hella lamps.

Darrell
DRB#46
LS1/G50

Attachments

• P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,124
  • gt40 day 001.jpg
    gt40 day 001.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,150
Here is the second, dont know why it did not load I should keep to playing in the shed.

Attachments

• gt40 day 001.jpg
    gt40 day 001.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 907
Thanks for the feed back Darrell, mine arrived from the UK a couple of weeks ago, how close are you to being finished ?

Iain

Iain, I have the car ready for inspection it is booked in for early February.Everything is working fine. A/C,engine temp,wheel alignment, speedo calibrated etc, it drives really well and very Quite. LS1 feels great and fitted easily to the DRB.
I am getting it registered before painting as I wish to to most of the body prep between drives myself before giving to the paint shop.

Darrell

darrell did you make the mounting bracket yourself and i see you have mounted the rivet nuts in the sides do they not come through the bodywork on the outside edges
chris

Chris I make the mounts up with 1.6mm alloy plate to fit the adjusters etc of the lamps, I had a friend of mine glass in two panels either side of them with 5mm bolts going through the panel than some washers to align the lamps in the holes in the front clip. I do have the prototype(stuff up) laying around some wear if you would like a clearer pic.

Darrell

Back