Role cage recommendation for GTD40?

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
Hi,

I’m looking for role cage for my GTD40. Currently the chassis is pretty standard GTD, but would like to make a bit more stiff.
Any recommendation of ready made or need to go for order made?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Regards

Attachments

• E8B4CE52-0BA0-4BF8-B711-E98C35887FC2.jpeg
    E8B4CE52-0BA0-4BF8-B711-E98C35887FC2.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 217

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yuji -
Given that the door configuration of a GT40 is such that each door is also roughly 1/3 of the roof, they don’t lend themselves well to roll cages that provide any appreciable torsional stiffness to the chassis.
One other thing to keep in mind is the inherent danger of having exposed tubing within the passenger compartment. If you do have a cage fabricated for your car, please do an exemplary job of padding all exposed surfaces. We have lost people because of injuries sustained in crashes where heads came in contact with the cages...
Look to SFI spec for roll bar padding.

Yuji -
Given that the door configuration of a GT40 is such that each door is also roughly 1/3 of the roof, they don’t lend themselves well to roll cages that provide any appreciable torsional stiffness to the chassis.
One other thing to keep in mind is the inherent danger of having exposed tubing within the passenger compartment. If you do have a cage fabricated for your car, please do an exemplary job of padding all exposed surfaces. We have lost people because of injuries sustained in crashes where heads came in contact with the cages...
Look to SFI spec for roll bar padding.

I think m right i’m saying that roll cage padding is only designed to work in conjunction with a crash helmet and if you’re not wearing one then you may as well not bother...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I think m right i’m saying that roll cage padding is only designed to work in conjunction with a crash helmet and if you’re not wearing one then you may as well not bother...

You are correct. But given that most cages in these cars are not padded at all, I think SFI padding would vastly increase your chances of survival.
I think of it as balancing the odds. The odds that you would be in a crash so violent that your head and extremities would come in contact with the cage and then the degree or force of impact...

There really is no such thing as a totally safe cage....

Yuji,
As previously mentioned the cage turns the car into a "track" only toy with helmet unless you want to take a chance....... I think the gtd/kva chassis has a roll-bar/hoop behind the driver going to the roof=line or just-under. Why don't you see if you can get a good fabricator to turn that into a four-point system with two rear-ward braces, and then maybe a removable front section for track days?

(I bought my RCR with a 6-point cage and was not comfortable with it even though I padded the inside bars. After we lost a forum member here I cut out the forward braces and roof support bars........)

Good luck and have fun with it whatever you decide, Scott

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you all for padding advice. Yes, I intend to cover the cage although most of my driving chance of GTD40 are for track days. (GTD40 would not be good toy for overnight touring as no space to keep anything other than driver/passenger!?)

Regards

Back