Safety wire

Safety wire on the wheel spinner should go from the little hole at the tip of the spinner to where? I have the BRM style wheels. Are folks drilling a small hole in one of the spokes for this? Thanks much.

I have purchased some very thin orange silicone tube (used for making fishing traces i think) to cover the wire where it wraps around the spoke as I did not want to drill them.

I drilled two small holes opposite each other in the web of the spokes.
Clayton
490056E4-D57D-4C78-9DBC-C5DC94674E53.jpeg

The tip of the spinner is more “authentic” I think but not ideal with respect to a positive safety of the spinner.

the best spot for the hole in the nut is at the base of the spinner ear.

The tip of the spinner is more “authentic” I think but not ideal with respect to a positive safety of the spinner.

the best spot for the hole in the nut is at the base of the spinner ear.
I’ll also be running these nuts for SCCA legality so your recommendation might serve dual purpose. TBD.

Attachments

• 200CE937-46DD-486B-AA9D-609F64425435.jpeg
    200CE937-46DD-486B-AA9D-609F64425435.jpeg
    449.8 KB · Views: 1,212
I’ll also be running these nuts for SCCA legality so your recommendation might serve dual purpose. TBD.

Yes Coop those are better for sure. I have seen wheel nuts that have what I call “cowling pins” used as a locking device as well but the center shaft has to be drilled to accommodate them.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Chris,

Vintage wheels sells them...

The also have a "SAFETY WIRING PROCEDURE FOR SPINNERS"

Correctly done wiring is beautiful.

The only one I’d pass as an Aircraft Mechanic is Claytons...and for some reason lots of his work I’ve seen on his car looks like he may be involved in aircraft maintenance at some level.

The FAA’s website has the book for A&P mechanics it’s called the 43:13. It has a section just on safety wiring.

Practice, practice, practice, and after lots of “Safety wire cuts” in your skin and bleeding fingers, you’ll all be able to do an “Airworthy” safety

Back