Scotts build thread

Wheels finally came monday. It has taken me a few days to cool off enough to write about it.
Good news! I am ordering a set of CCW Hybrid wheels tomorrow! Fuck, LB Forged rammed it to me good. I will do a laundry list of defects-

1. Front correct at 19x12. Rear is a 19x14.5. Supposed to be a 14.
2. Both front and rear offsets wrong
3. Asked to have them leave the machining marks. Machine needs calibration or something, had lines etching into others. Their work was just a poor finish due to something wrong.
4. front wheel is 30#, rear 33#!! I guess that is their idea of "lightweight".
5. center cap area is machined differently from front wheel to back.
6. where design comes down past the step lip, there should be a consistent 0.1" gap. Their angle was off and was crooked.
7. front wheel I could stick my finger behind that area that is supposed to be 0.1" clearance.
8. measured only one front wheel for out of round. came back with a 0.040" off center. Probably caused by moving wheel from one machining process to another, and lost perfect center.

So, they knew all of this, and still put them in a box and sent them to me. Took 3 months to receive 4 wheels I can't even mount on the car.v Then, instead of correcting this stuff and letting me know there was a mistake, they shipped them, wasting another 2-3 weeks in shipping to me, waiting for return labels (just got today), and now waiting during shipping to get back to them before getting my money back!!!
Now, the good parts. What the guy said to me. "Nobody will be able to tell when you are driving fast"' I am sure you guys especially will get a laugh out of the next quote. "These wheels are just going on a kit car right?" Followed up with- "you know some guys are paying over $10,000 for wheels like this". So, I guess the money I paid them was only good enough to get wheels close to fitting?

So ya, ordering a set of the CCW Hybrid wheels tomorrow. Probably the 540. That will get me into a company that does stress analyzing of their designs to safely shave weight. The Hybrid series is a monoblock wheel, that has the outer edge milled off to accept a step lip barrel. Makes them able to go up to 16" wide, very strong, and the exact look of a 3 piece wheel.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
So, they knew all of this, and still put them in a box and sent them to me. Took 3 months to receive 4 wheels I can't even mount on the car.v Then, instead of correcting this stuff and letting me know there was a mistake, they shipped them, wasting another 2-3 weeks in shipping to me, waiting for return labels (just got today), and now waiting during shipping to get back to them before getting my money back!!!

'Astonishing. Did they somehow think you wouldn't notice their 'snafu(s)'...or perhaps you wouldn't care???

Before the internet, a manufacturing screw up like that and the subsequent fallout from the company's grade school-level actions after the fact would only be known by the company, its affected customer, and maybe a handful of the customer's friends. But today the world can (and often does) find out about such things in a matter of seconds. One would think LB Forged would have/should have at least considered that before deciding to dance you around the mulberry bush.

BTW, the 540s have my approval! :pleased: (I'm sure that matters... ;))

sp540-aa0.jpg

Last edited:

Keith

Wow Scott what a crap experience. "Only going on a kit car" Yikes!

The worst is you reco'd these people to others who trust your judgement and that costs more than a set of wheels - it's your whole darned credibility...

They should refund far more than your initial costs..:veryangry:

Wow Scott what a crap experience. "Only going on a kit car" Yikes!

The worst is you reco'd these people to others who trust your judgement and that costs more than a set of wheels - it's your whole darned credibility...

They should refund far more than your initial costs..:veryangry:

Ya, hopefully nobody has had this bad of a dealing with them. About the only thing they got right was the diameter. It really was pretty brazen to first insult me with even sending me those wheels, but to add in an insult to the car itself, sent me over the top. All of this due to THEIR mistake. Not even men enough to give me an apology yet.
I pushed them pretty big on the Viper forums, then told them they should advertise on the Viper forums, which they did. Wheels are very scarce for the Viper due to 6 lug bolt pattern, so I thought it would be a good fit for both.
I have this same build thread going on the Viper forums, where i have been an active member for many years, with all of my other car builds too. I developed the polyurethane suspension bushings for all the generations of Vipers, so I am pretty well known in that world. They will appreciate me telling them about this little adventure with LB Forged (aka Berlin Wheels).

Here is some pics-

Rear center cap area-

Front center cap area-

Front supposed to be 9 1/8" back space-

Rear supposed to be 10" bs-

Rear supposed to be a 19x14. It is 14.5"-

This is the area where it is supposed to follow the barrel at roughly 0.1" clearance-

Here is the rear. Cut doesnt follow rim well at all-

If it wasn't for the above reasons, then they would have looked pretty good. Wait, there was still out of round, suv truck heavy, poor machining, and center caps were missing. So just a pos in general.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
DANG! The design 'DO' look good mounted on the car though!!! :thumbsup:

'Too bad beauty is only skin deep...

It says a lot about the management and/or ownership of the company. Since this company supposedly makes wheels for private label you know one or more of the troops asked about the fitment of these wheel pieces during the process and that the OK to ship had to come from management.

Sad, sad state of affairs.

It says a lot about the management and/or ownership of the company. Since this company supposedly makes wheels for private label you know one or more of the troops asked about the fitment of these wheel pieces during the process and that the OK to ship had to come from management.

Sad, sad state of affairs.

Ya, it is the sales guy who was saying all the bs to me about "just a kit car" and "they will look good going fast" trying to talk me into those pos wheels knowing they were wrong. And the programmer who actually made the mistake hasn't said a word to me. It certainly is hard for some to admit they made a mistake. But, those should not be people put in charge of running your business.
I was hoping that I would get some contact from the owner to let him know how the process and the final opening of the boxes went for me. But, I am sure the story got turned around from the employees explaining why a set of wheels is coming back and turned me into the asshole I assume.
I have many more forums to update though with this info. It will get back to them somehow.

I feel for ya - every single build I've always tried to do something special and 100% of the time i get dicked over in one way or another. Off the shelf type stuff may not be unique, but hey, at least it (usually) works as advertised.

Btw, i like my CCWs; they're good wheels.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...Off the shelf type stuff may not be unique, but hey, at least it (usually) works as advertised.

IMHO everyone comes to that very conclusion eventually for the reasons both you and Scott have outlined.

That's why for the past couple of decades I've ordered custom wheel sets from a wheel/tire shop I've done business with f-o-r-e-v-e-r. This past July, I ordered wheels/tires for my new truck from them. 'Gave 'em the exact dimensions of the 'factory stockers'...'told 'em I wanted a set of 'such-and-such' one piece wheels & tires whose dimensions were within a gnat's backside of the stocker's specs.

Presto. They were on the truck the very next day. 'Went from 265/70/R17s to 275/55/R20s. Result: The tire diam is less than 1/2" greater than the stockers and the net offsets and wheel alignment specs are sooooooo darned close there's just no sense in 'sweating' it! I can't feel one bit of difference in the truck's handling going down the road.

...Off the shelf type stuff may not be unique...

Oh, I dunno... :D:

Last edited:
Had to move car to get a better look. I think the rear could have come out a bit further still. Nice to finally get a different perspective on the car though.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Suggestion?

The clamshell side louvers should maybe lie in parallel with the line created by the rear portion/edge of the door window glass (40 degree angle or so?)...the part of the window that's just forward of the aft door jam. 'Might extend the lead section of the louvers a bit further forward as well (leave the rear-most section of the louvers right where 'tis already...just add 2-3[?] more louvers toward the front)?

I thin' that might 'flow' a little better visually? :shrug:

Last edited:
I see exactly what you are saying. The issue is that the fuel filler cap"s location on the passenger side is dictating the start of those louvers. In order for the louvers to be symmetrical, that is where it would need to start. Since both louvers are visible from rear, the initial tape lines are reflecting that symmetrical size.
Before actually cutting, I was going to look into filler relocation feasibility to make those louvers larger towards the front.

I feel for ya - every single build I've always tried to do something special and 100% of the time i get dicked over in one way or another. Off the shelf type stuff may not be unique, but hey, at least it (usually) works as advertised.

Btw, i like my CCWs; they're good wheels.

Ya, it is why I do as much myself as I possibly can. Customer satisfaction is something the car world really isn't known for. There are still some companies that go out of their way to make things right though.
Sad part is, these guys cut wheels for quite a few other wheel companies. Seems they had a helluva time with these. I even had to explain to him why the wheel needs to be light. :stunned: His statement was "your car will have enough power to turn them, IF your car has the hp you say it will". So even insinuating that I was lying about the car. And thinking acceleration is the only reason to have a light wheel. Ugh. :furious: The whole thing is pretty insulting right now.

Back