Scotts build thread

Another side by side same angle to get a visual. Maybe it is taller and the rear above the rear wheels is taller. hmmmm
20170410_201227_zpsakrf9if9.jpg
Z7ttLgaOSrGl5u1TWgrokg

Ya, the scg003 is taller. Their rear engine cover is taller and longer too. That is the illusion I am trying to create, a taller and longer engine cover.
If you look at the race scg003 with the larger wing, the proportions start to get alot closer.

scuderia-cameron-glickenhaus-scg003-11.jpg

The side view without it, is ackward imo. The rood line is still too high and far forward. But, the back spine is exactly what I was thinking of doing right when i got the car if you trace back. It is one of those "shocker" pieces. Some will like it, some not, but it is the piece that will make it stand out. End cut, engine air scoops, and other small details are still being tweaked.
To answer the air intake question, yes, I really need to be pulling engine air from that location, and i still have the intake sticking up 2" past the body also. Any other available locations will be either too crowded, hard to maintain air cleaner, in a dusty area, or close to headers or turbos and get too much heat.

How about losing the scoop and turning the back spine into the air intake? Make the spine hollow, add louvers to the sides of the spine in the same style as the other louvers you have on the car now? I think the spine is cool but spine + scoop looks messy.

Been working a lot lately, but had a little time today to get a few things done.
Got the wing mounted finally! It will mount off the body (frame braces will be under body) on the sides. Currently they are just thin alum, but I will probably build them into the body as I still have a touch of sway to it with the thin alum.
Finally now knowing how it will mount, I can continue with completing the rear clam hinging and final pressure shock layout.

This is the first time I've looked at the car in at least six months. The headlights dont match the rest of the car at all. Overall, the car is looking like some sort of F50 spin off. Excellent fiberglass work, though. You're very talented.

Thanks Justin.

Finally have the rear wing supports nearly finished. They stared as 1/16" alum sheet as cores, and have bonded in studs for hidden fastening. The thickness varies through the part. Fiberglass was applied in varying layers, 3/8" thick at top, to 3/4" thick near the base where it is needed, outer layers are cf. This design was able to take care of load in any direction and could easily handle designed loads. Design was pretty painstaking due to body contours and getting all of the angles correct so they were perfectly straight on the car. Also, bonded in some 3/8" rivnuts in the wing ends to better hold the wing. Previously it was holes drilled in the fg and the threads were already almost gone.
This makes it about the simplest and lightest way I could think of holding the wing. A little bit of bracing inside of the body, and some stops, and wing will effectively push directly down on the frame.

I am pretty much fed up with the rear engine cover deal. I think the best solution is to just do that 5.5L Mercedes V12 Biturbo set up. In the end, it will be worth it, and it will fit under the rear clam. The sound will be awesome also! So much torque it will be a handful to drive, but that is exactly what I am wanting.
So at some point I would be interested in selling my whole drivetrain set up complete. No hurry though.

Not much happening the last few months. Work has needed all of my attention lately.
Got some spread tow cf fabric, nearly enough to do the entire body, and started wrapping stuff, and there was a prob with the resin. Ugh. Havn't gotten back into it.
Once it cools off a little, and my work load subsides in a month or so, I will be back on it.
Been taking classes for the last 6 months learning options trading. I took to it like a fish to water and am just running out my current back log of jobs, and going into semi retirement in about 5-6 weeks. At that point, my day will end at roughly 2pm, and the rest of the day can be car stuff!

Last edited:
Here is a couple bad pics of the spread tow cf. Really good looking stuff in a 3/8"x3/8" pattern.
Had to redo the headlights abit. The high beams that match my low beams, were not the same size as the low beams! Even listed on Hellas site it is incorrect. So I originally built the headlights based on their measurements, and made both holes the same. In the end, Hella did not offer a high beam that matching size, so I had to make the holes bigger. Basically done, but a little work underneath to do still.
Made some small dive planes. Kinda cool, not sure if I will run them all the time though. I can use flush plastic rivets to plug the holes when not being used.

So have you just been busy with life or is this project stalled out?

It's hard to live vicariously with no updates y'know! ;)

So have you just been busy with life or is this project stalled out?

It's hard to live vicariously with no updates y'know! ;)

Really been working a lot. Spending all of my extra time learning a new trade right now, that will hopefully allow me to semi retire and work from home.
So ya, busy with life and trying to spend my time lately with things that make money, instead of things that cost money. Lol. Work before play for a little bit longer.

Scott...are you planning to do anything to 'weather' all that glass work before spending precious $$$$$ on sexy paint work?

It should be fully cured. Sitting in garage over the summer should take care of any major movements. None of my glass work has a gelcoat either, so no chance of bubbles or resin only corners.
Paint is cheap, and I already have most everything I need to paint it, minus deciding on the actual color. I may be starting to lean more towards a track focused car with it though.

I finally got to the end of this thread, for now! Obviously your craftsmanship, courage to try new personal design ideas and dedication to a project really SUCKS! Nothing on this thread or your car was good enough to keep me completely glued to my lap top for 2.5 hours with out moving. None of the 60 pages of crappy progress pictures were even remotely inspiring, not even the stupid idea of making a cool car even cooler; on your own, and tracking the whole thing with pictures while sharing the insanity with gt40s community and the world! Thanks a lot!

I will now go cry myself to sleep!

GREAT FREAK'N JOB Mr. Scott Rowland I am truly impressed and excited that you shared all of this! Have a great week! You have motivated me to get back to working on my GT40!

Last edited:
I finally got to the end of this thread, for now! Obviously your craftsmanship, courage to try new personal design ideas and dedication to a project really SUCKS! Nothing on this thread or your car was good enough to keep me completely glued to my lap top for 2.5 hours with out moving. None of the 60 pages of crappy progress pictures were even remotely inspiring, not even the stupid idea of making a cool car even cooler; on your own, and tracking the whole thing with pictures while sharing the insanity with gt40s community and the world! Thanks a lot!

I will now go cry myself to sleep!

GREAT FREAK'N JOB Mr. Scott Rowland I am truly impressed and excited that you shared all of this! Have a great week! You have motivated me to get back to working on my GT40!

Thanks for the compliment Ken.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

LMBO! 'Pretty much sums up the feeling many of us have had! :2thumbsup:

Back