Sean's RCR GT40 build

I have been working on plumbing the last couple weeks. I found a setup I like for the thermostat housing. I was also able to run the lines for the heater core through the spinal column.
I noticed that the tunnel is longer than the pre-bend. I assume that you had to lengthen the bend.

Sean S.

Supporter
The plumbing looks great, it's really coming together. I like the way you routed everything up front. I didn't think about the dual and single snorkel / routing, when I ordered both hatch covers. I just assumed they were the same width and dept overall.

Thanks.

I still need to mount the nose to make sure that upper radiator line clears both nostrils the way I have it, but it should be pretty close to working for them.

Sean

Sean S.

Supporter
Ive been working on Wiring the last couple weeks. I originally planned to mount the battery in the passenger side foot box, but I decided it would be much easier to mount it in the engine bay in the box behind the fuel tank. I fabricated a mount to hold the battery level, then used flat bar to secure it.

I have most of the engine wired up minus a couple of sensors. I'm hoping to get a good bit of the dash wiring completed this weekend.... getting very close to being able to start it.:cool:

I decided to give these turbo spiral baffles a shot, I figure I might make another set of tail pipes with mufflers as well to have 2 different sounds if I want them. I have to say the straight pipes do look cool.

We took it to its first car show 2 weeks ago, even in its partially assembled state it took everyone's attention.

Attachments

• IMG_7485.JPG
    IMG_7485.JPG
    503.6 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_7497.JPG
    IMG_7497.JPG
    409.2 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_7499.JPG
    IMG_7499.JPG
    408.7 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_7509.JPG
    IMG_7509.JPG
    462.1 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_7510.JPG
    IMG_7510.JPG
    505.8 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_7512.JPG
    IMG_7512.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_7471.JPG
    IMG_7471.JPG
    564.2 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_7483.JPG
    IMG_7483.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_7432.JPG
    IMG_7432.JPG
    603.6 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_7437.JPG
    IMG_7437.JPG
    462.4 KB · Views: 593

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great progress!
I’m going to be really curious about the effectiveness of your silencers. I’ve used them on other cars with good results, but they were not equipped with 180° headers..

Sean S.

Supporter
Great progress!
I’m going to be really curious about the effectiveness of your silencers. I’ve used them on other cars with good results, but they were not equipped with 180° headers..

I’m really curious how it’s going to sound as well. It doesn’t appear to be designed for use right after the headers. Mr Howard said they are pretty loud at anything above idle. I will definitely provide some feedback on them.

Sean

Sean S.

Supporter
I was able to get the fuel lines squared away with some clamp mounts I found at Summit.

I made a cover for the hole on driver side behind the fuel tank to match the passenger side.

I also fabricated an oil filter mounting bracket to hold it on the transmission. I am also fabricating a rear support for the transmission.

Attachments

• F1DD030A-33D9-4444-8AE5-E785E4E70438.jpeg
    F1DD030A-33D9-4444-8AE5-E785E4E70438.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 476
  • BFBE92CA-F2C1-4248-A595-55998B651150.jpeg
    BFBE92CA-F2C1-4248-A595-55998B651150.jpeg
    540.7 KB · Views: 449
  • 54E0615D-CB97-47CB-8ADE-EAE5464FA612.jpeg
    54E0615D-CB97-47CB-8ADE-EAE5464FA612.jpeg
    522.8 KB · Views: 443
  • D463B017-5521-48BD-A605-9EDC48022F28.jpeg
    D463B017-5521-48BD-A605-9EDC48022F28.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 438
Hey Sean,
I was just lookimg at your battery set up and I can't tell how close the battery terminals are to the cover plate in the picture. But if its remotely close you may want to be sure the under side of the cover and/or terminals are insulated well. I had something similar years ago on a hot rod and when some one stood on the cover the battery went phase to phase and burned up my wiring harness. It was quite the fire works show but very costly to repair. Something to think about. Your making great progress. Looks awesome.

Sean S.

Supporter
Hey Sean,
I was just lookimg at your battery set up and I can't tell how close the battery terminals are to the cover plate in the picture. But if its remotely close you may want to be sure the under side of the cover and/or terminals are insulated well. I had something similar years ago on a hot rod and when some one stood on the cover the battery went phase to phase and burned up my wiring harness. It was quite the fire works show but very costly to repair. Something to think about. Your making great progress. Looks awesome.

Thanks Rob

I did look at this. I have about 3/8” of clearance to the lid from the top posts. I plan to only use the side posts and leave the protective caps in place.
Sean

Attachments

• DFB92766-7CA8-4425-B702-112082BE1EB3.jpeg
    DFB92766-7CA8-4425-B702-112082BE1EB3.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 421

Neil

Supporter
Thanks Rob

I did look at this. I have about 3/8” of clearance to the lid from the top posts. I plan to only use the side posts and leave the protective caps in place.
Sean
That is a very important thing to check. The early 6V Volkswagen Beetles had their battery located under the rear seat cushion. This was OK with their OEM battery but standard- sized US replacement batteries were taller, putting the underseat springs very close to the battery top terminals. Everything was fine... until someone sat down on the rear seat. YOW!!!

Sean S.

Supporter
It was a great day. Finally got to start the engine in the car. No leaks and it sounded great. The muffler inserts definitely knocked the hurt out of the exhaust. I think I’ll need to drive it to see how loud it is under a load.
Wife wasn’t too happy that her cloths and the house now smell like spent 101 octane.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Now, THAT'S how a real engine should both start and sound...not to mention idle!
'Wish I could figure out how to 'pirate' that and use it as the ring tone on my cell... :cool:

Sean S.

Supporter
I'm sure that is a good feeling. Always a huge milestone at start up. Looking forward to the first drive.
Sounds great!
Now, THAT'S how a real engine should both start and sound...not to mention idle!
'Wish I could figure out how to 'pirate' that and use it as the ring tone on my cell... :cool:

Thanks, I was blown away at the throttle response and I loved the sound. I have a goal of driving it around the neighborhood by the end of summer. There is still a lot to do before I can make that happen, so hopefully I can meet that goal.

Sean

Vinny P

Supporter
It was a great day. Finally got to start the engine in the car. No leaks and it sounded great. The muffler inserts definitely knocked the hurt out of the exhaust. I think I’ll need to drive it to see how loud it is under a load.
Wife wasn’t too happy that her cloths and the house now smell like spent 101 octane.

I like it. The baffles sound great, and I prefer the straight pipe look over a pair of mufflers. I think you have a win, win here Sean! What's your take on them? They didn't sound too loud on the video. The motor runs well too!

Back