Sean's RCR GT40 build

Neil

Supporter
Discussed previously on this thread.

Ian

That was not the scenario I was describing.

Sean S.

Supporter
No, that would still worry me. Maybe it hasn't been a factor in actual crashes and I'm wrong, but.....
Neil,

I hadn't really thought about that, but you are correct. There is only just over 1/8" of aluminum between that link and the driver/ passenger.

Mine also has the Anti Shear brackets like Chet's, I just haven't installed them yet.

Sean.

Sean S.

Supporter
I fabricated fuel tank pickups from some SS tubing and a Bushing. I decided to use aluminum blocks welded to the tank to bolt them down in the rear of the chassis, I then welded angle to the front of the tanks to attach them to the front of the chassis. I am still trying to decide exactly how I want to run the fuel lines. I am thinking of running them out the back of the chassis, but I will need to put a few more things together before making a final decision.

Attachments

• IMG_6428.JPG
    IMG_6428.JPG
    350.3 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_6448.JPG
    IMG_6448.JPG
    379.7 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_6458.JPG
    IMG_6458.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_6483.JPG
    IMG_6483.JPG
    416.2 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_6484.JPG
    IMG_6484.JPG
    446.5 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_6485.JPG
    IMG_6485.JPG
    392.7 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_6486.JPG
    IMG_6486.JPG
    372.8 KB · Views: 469

Sean S.

Supporter
I have most of the A/C system completed. First I had to remove the provisions for extra vents. I decided to cut them off and flip them. I then glued them into place. I fabricated some aluminum brackets to mount it. I did find that the plenum will have to be modified due to it will interfere with the roll bar. I am pleased how the dash covers most of the A/C unit. More pictures to follow in second post.

Attachments

• IMG_6463.JPG
    IMG_6463.JPG
    437.8 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_6464.JPG
    IMG_6464.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_6465.JPG
    IMG_6465.JPG
    441.6 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_6466.JPG
    IMG_6466.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_6468.JPG
    IMG_6468.JPG
    394.2 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_6470.JPG
    IMG_6470.JPG
    428.4 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_6471.JPG
    IMG_6471.JPG
    450.3 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_6472.JPG
    IMG_6472.JPG
    432.9 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_6474.JPG
    IMG_6474.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_6475.JPG
    IMG_6475.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 406

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Sean, really great progress and nice work. Tell me a little more on how you did those 3 torx head screws on the end of the heater/ac unit. I'm getting ready to install mine and am looking for some how to ideas.
Rod

Sean S.

Supporter
Sean, really great progress and nice work. Tell me a little more on how you did those 3 torx head screws on the end of the heater/ac unit. I'm getting ready to install mine and am looking for some how to ideas.
Rod

Hey Rod,

I used #8 Sheet metal screws. I have ordered some shorter ones (3/4") as the ones I have are a bit too long if you didn't notice the washers. I used the existing screw hole that the removable cover that hides the hoses is mounted (picture attached) with and then added 2 screws above it into the fan housing. The housing has about 1" between it and the fan.

I needed to remove the top mount next to the fan (picture attached) as it wouldn't allow me to mount the evaporator unit high enough on the dash. When i used the 2 threaded holes for mounting I found it allowed the unit to move slightly, hence why I chose to add another mount on the fan side.

Sean

Attachments

• IMG_6460.JPG
    IMG_6460.JPG
    353.2 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_6461 modified.png
    IMG_6461 modified.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 464

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Sean, thanks for the info & pics. A preliminary mounting of mine seems a bit shaky also. I'll be upgrading my mounts accordingly. Rod

Sean S.

Supporter
Hey Rod,

I used #8 Sheet metal screws. I have ordered some shorter ones (3/4") as the ones I have are a bit too long if you didn't notice the washers. I used the existing screw hole that the removable cover that hides the hoses is mounted (picture attached) with and then added 2 screws above it into the fan housing. The housing has about 1" between it and the fan.

I needed to remove the top mount next to the fan (picture attached) as it wouldn't allow me to mount the evaporator unit high enough on the dash. When i used the 2 threaded holes for mounting I found it allowed the unit to move slightly, hence why I chose to add another mount on the fan side.

Sean

Proper Screws now installed.

Attachments

• IMG_6526.jpg
    IMG_6526.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 428

Sean S.

Supporter
Modified the Plenum to fit around the roll cage mounts. Just made a simple mold. I know its play-doh, I didn't feel like going to the store for clay.

Attachments

• IMG_6491.jpg
    IMG_6491.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_6492.jpg
    IMG_6492.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_6493.jpg
    IMG_6493.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_6527.jpg
    IMG_6527.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_6528.jpg
    IMG_6528.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 453

Sean S.

Supporter
I was able to get the fuel tanks almost wrapped up. I need to fabricate a fill pipe, I am thinking about getting some SS mandrel bends and making them so I only have hoses connecting them to the tank and the filler cap. I plan to utilize a vent tube back to the the fill cap to help with fueling the car. I also will have a roll over vent valve on the rear of the tanks mounted high under the clamshell.

Attachments

• IMG_6538.jpg
    IMG_6538.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_6546.jpg
    IMG_6546.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_6549.jpg
    IMG_6549.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 361
Hey Sean,
I'm no expert by any means but have been bit using dissimilar metals in aluminum. My specific example was using a steel drain plug in an aluminum pan. The threads corroded away on the pan. And I believe the more aluminum mass the faster this happens. Maybe someone can chime in here but you might need to change the carbon steel bushing to something else. Your build is awesome. Love to follow the progress.

Sean S.

Supporter
Hey Sean,
I'm no expert by any means but have been bit using dissimilar metals in aluminum. My specific example was using a steel drain plug in an aluminum pan. The threads corroded away on the pan. And I believe the more aluminum mass the faster this happens. Maybe someone can chime in here but you might need to change the carbon steel bushing to something else. Your build is awesome. Love to follow the progress.

Thanks for following my progress Rob, I used 304 SS for the bushing and pickup. The only fitting in the tank that is not SS is the nipple for the vent line, I used brass as I had trouble finding one with a low enough profile to fit in the chassis. Im trying to keep everything SS due to not wanting any surface corrosion on fasteners and fittings.

Sean

Last edited:
Hi, I figured I would start a thread for my GT40 build on this site. I ordered my kit from RCR last month and cant wait until it is delivered sometime Mid January.
I am excited to share this experience and hopefully get ideas/ suggestions from the group here on GT40s.com.

I am currently getting things set up in my garage to make the build go smooth. First was to get the other cars and unused tools gone (a few pics of what had to go below for fun).

Next was to build a simple hydraulic lift as I have seen others using. I looked at buying one, but couldn't find anything that checked all of the boxes I was looking for. I wanted it to be no more than 4" tall and capable of easily rolling around the floor if I need space for other small projects around the house.

More to come.....
Hi Sean, I just received my GT40 on Sunday. Can't wait to get started. Hopefully, we can communicate and help each other out. Jim

Back