Shift knobs

Killing some time today and started looking around at shift knobs. I'm wondering about specs of the shifter rod. Anybody know the diameter and thread pitch? Also, when looking at specs for shift knobs, can anyone explain what the "Insert" dimension means on the following spec?

Height: 2.83 in (72 mm)
Diameter: 2.09 in (53 mm)
Insert: 2.36 in (60 mm)
Weight: 7.3 oz (207 g)

I assume some knobs fit over the shifter further than others but can't figure out how that's represented in the spec. Trying to minimize the extent to which the knob increases the overall length of the shifter.

Also, how does the shifter boot secure to the shifter? Is that facilitated by the knob or via some other method of attachment that comes with the boot?

Regards,

Colin

You really are bored ....haha
I have the thread size and pitch, will post up when I get back to the shop.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The only production car that uses the same shifter ball thread pattern is the Viper. Older B&M shifter balls share the same thread pattern too. Our "cableshift" shifter is a 1/2" x 20unf.

I bought a nice 2" round billet Alum one with the shift pattern, on Ebay from Auto parts dealer Sickspeed along with the Hella style horns, great quaility and you couldn't beat the price.
Cheers,
Grant

From the Momo rep I got the following.

"The insert is a rubber grommet that fits inside our shift knob. So as
long as the factory post is 8 to 15mm in diameter and round then our
shift knob should fit. Our shift knobs come with 6 inserts to cover the
range of difference size posts."

Aren't you guys using the CableShift/Brandwood box? I thought that is what was supplied with the kit? If so, those threads are 1/2"-20

We are and yours is the proper thread (I know because your knobs fit on my shifters, haha!)

Both Rob and Shane are correct: if you are using the factory FGT shifter, the threads are M12 X 1.75. If you have the Brandwood shifter, the threads are 1/2 X 20.

Ok I couldn't find the company on Ebay anymore ??? they are called Sickspeed here's a pic of the shifter ball it is billet Alum with the shift pattern milled into it. They also sell a Hella style twin horn set up at very good prices.

Attachments

• _MG_6244.JPG
    _MG_6244.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 408
  • _MG_6241.JPG
    _MG_6241.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 343

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Maybe I'm having a brain lock here but what side are they saying is the female versus the male end.

This might make more sense if you look here: Custom Shift Knobs, Cool Shift Knobs, Shifters & Custom Interior Accessories « American Shifter

These guys make shift knobs, all of which have a female thread of M16-1.5. The purpose of all the adapter kits is to allow one of their shift knobs to fit on a variety of different shafts. Thus the adapters have an external (male) thread of M16-1.5, and an internal thread of something else (smaller, obviously). So the adapters are useful only if you want to install a shift knob with M16-1.5 female thread.

I have ordered two shift knobs and they will provide any thread pitch (in my case 1/2 x 20) you need at no extra cost. I ordered a "stalk" style and modified ball style (flat side and top with shift pattern). If anyone has not used a stalk type handle - IMHO the shift feel to 1,3 & 5th feels so much more fluid and comfortable.

And a caveat -- when installing your shifter mechanism onto the center console make sure you have it far enough to the rear side of the car to allow shifting knob clearance to the finished and installed dash and fascia plate, especially if you have big lobster claw sized hands. Mines fairly close and I'll know more when the knobs arrive in the next 10 days or so - pictures to follow.

Here's the website: Shift knobs

Back