shocks HELP!

:cry:I found a broken rear shock at the top shaft, The part # on the shock shows G66AP. I,am 450 miles from home near Portland Oregon, found a SPAX shock dealer in Dayton, Oregon. They could not reference this part number but said it would take 2 weeks to get one here. Does anyone have the actual part number for this shock. It came on the car CAV #99........My cel # is 509-688-7483 or I will check this site asap again....Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Rich,
if you need it fixing to get you & the car home, depending on the how it has failed, it may be possible to get it welded (I am presuming that the top eye mounting has failed) Take it to a local garage and get them to have a look at doing a temporary repair

Hope this helps

Regards
Andy

Since the shock is already broken, you could remove it and measure the extended and compressed length, along with the eye sizes. With that info, any good parts store can find a "comparable" set of shocks that will work well enough to get you home, where you can then source the correct one at your leisure. I'd replace both at that point.

Absent one arriving from another member, that's what I'd so.

Will Cambell has the right idea.
QA1 are common as mud go buy 1 or a pair.
Get out of trouble ,deal with it later or leave the QA1 s in

you are a good man Pat

Jim

Thanks guys; the weld worked. Got it home just before the big snow hit, would of hated to fit those tire chains! Found the top end snapped off of the shock when doing a stub axle seal replacement. When the axle was out,found the bearing bad (growled when spun in hand). OEM part # 6207 C2 is not avalible through any bearing supplier here in the USA. Did find a couple in the UK. listed. Was able to speak with Phillip @ High Tech Gear in Texas who makes the internal parts for RBT. He checked with engineering who said part #6207 C3 will work fine. Now finding the shock replacement. The car has only 2,400 miles on it so I would like to do just one. Called the SPAX dealer listed in Dayton, Oregon. They could not match the part number stamped into the bottom of the housing. They said any shock ordered would take at least 2 weeks to get. Were not very helpful or concerned with my ergency. Would like to sorce it from another dealer here in the US.

The 6207 C2 bearing has a nominal internal clearance of less than normal. 1-11 micron. The normal 6207 has 6-20 micron and the C3 has 15-33 micron.

If this has been designed to operate with a C2 then the closest fit would be a standard 6207. As you can see there is a cross over point where you could get the same clearance.

The use of C2 bearings requires extremely accurate machining or otherwise you will impose loads on the bearings they are not designed for. the axial and radial tolerances are very unforgiving when it comes to using C2 bearings.

I have worked with these bearings and found the only way to make them last is to machine both bearing seats at the same set up, Boring the front bearing seat and then with special tools boring the back seat with out moving the part being bored.

<table width="505" bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr height="10"><td class="B">
</td><td class="B">
</td><td class="P">
</td><td class="P">
</td><td class="P">
</td><td class="P">
</td><td class="P">
</td><td class="P">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Back