SL-C delivered

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I am certain I have raced along side that car when it was owned by another guy. It was such an eardrum splitter, I literally let off the throttle and let him get out in front of me a ways as we were not in the same class and I had almost a half lap on the next car in my class. This was with helmet, ear buds/plugs on.. He broke a couple laps later and I was able cruise to an overall victory. From the sound of the video, he may have put a different muffler on it as the shrill screech that the car emitted did not seem to be there.
With that muffler, it may even make sound restrictions, but I doubt it as the car would bust through sound a good 7-8 dB higher than the limit..

Awesome! Any new pictures? I assume you have some of the engine all hooked up if a few have gone awry. On that note, what issues did you have with the other engines? What can one expect to pay for a 20b making around 500 hp?
No new pix really.
I haven't had any 20b's go boom but a have had several 13b turbos see a premature end...as well as many other engines. I have a knack for blowing things up.

The first 13b I lost was due to my inexperience tuning an engine, one was lost due to a faulty crank angle sensor, another due to wrong spark plug choice (too hot of a plug), and the last was fuel starvation. These were all turbo engines and were all due to the peripheral systems, not the engine itself. That said, I've had many a good track day with some of them and others and many ran flawlessly for years before I sold/redid the setup. I had a first gen with an n/a 13b go almost 200,000 miles before I sold it, I put 90,000 hard miles on it.

A used 20b block in good shape will set you back 4k plus a minimum of 2k on a single turbo/ic/exhaust plus 1k minimum for an ecu/ancillaries.
Bare minumim would be 7k and up to 15k-25k depending upon rebuild options/parts you choose.

I am certain I have raced along side that car when it was owned by another guy. It was such an eardrum splitter, ..... From the sound of the video, he may have put a different muffler on it as the shrill screech that the car emitted did not seem to be there.
With that muffler, it may even make sound restrictions, but I doubt it as the car would bust through sound a good 7-8 dB higher than the limit..
Sounds to me as if you were listening to an n/a p-port 13b. Not sure of the history on that car though but you could be right on any point. Adding a turbo will often remove that screech you described as well as a better choice in muffler.

Dave,
I've been reviewing the D/FW SL-C builds and ran across your build thread. I know it's been a while since you posted on this, but how about an update?
John

I have been driving it for the past 2 years, took it apart again this winter changing some more stuff on it. New dash, changed the ECU, wiring, etc.

Had it out at Sevenstock, a rotary engine event out in Ca. We were at the Autoclub race track, did 170 on the straightway, was on the rev limiter at half way down the front straight, after turn 2 its a road course for us, then out on turn 4, straight away was boring tho.

Cant wait till spring, and I think ill go back to Ca for Sevenstock again.

My car at the Auto Club race track in Ca.

Attachments

• DYNO FLAMES.pdf
    117.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Mazda Motorsports Turn 12 and 13 (145pm) ACS_0606_Nov0715_by_ZW-CaliPhoto (1).jpg
    Mazda Motorsports Turn 12 and 13 (145pm) ACS_0606_Nov0715_by_ZW-CaliPhoto (1).jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 333
Garry, I've read your build thread several times and really love what you have done with your car (and the speed with which you got it done, amazing).

Thanks for the update, but I was curious how RX-Heven's (Dave's) build was going. :)

Back