SL-C delivered

The "plan" is to paint or wrap it with that Renown livery, just different colors. White/dark silver and black maybe. Long ways down the road.

The IM is from GRS (Phil Laird) ot of AU. It is supposed to provide a more linear power curve and move the power band up.
~800 fwhp on 91 octane is the goal.

attachment.php

Awesome, whats the ETA on first start?

Ordered a host of parts from Fran and other vendors, including the street tail version. Awaiting an early Christmas.

Some otherminor fab work done, some bodywork and prepping of the doors to be hung. The car is finally away getting some proper welding done on it for the aluminum chassis projects I have that my own welder was not capable of doing. Some of those were creating a roadblock for me as far as progressing in other areas of the build. Finally getting that out of the way.

Dave,
Are these pretty hard to get running right? I was in the import world ages ago, but never in the rotary area.

Long gone are the days of piggyback ecu's and improperly fueled/cooled setups for rotaries. That was one of the major contributors to unreliable turbo setups years ago (and still today to a lesser degree as there are never any shortages of nit-wits) and the reputation has been hard to shake .

Vast improvements in engine management software and operators ability to understand the system due to experience and a wealth of readily available community knowledge has evolved leaps and bounds. All you need now is to install (or have installed) one of many capable standalone ecu's as there are many reputable rotary tuners and shops across the country, many of which actually travel to you if necessary. I have experience, both good and bad, with quite a few of them since I am no tuner myself.

Other than that, it is just fuel/air in and exhaust out. Matching parts to your application is the same as with any other engine more or less and has the potential for the same types of hiccups as with any other custom application.

The one concern I have with the rear engine setup are heat management issues. Rotaries exhaust temps run hundreds of degrees hotter than piston engines and they also require a more robust cooling system to keep engine temps in check. I'm pretty confident I've got a handle on it though.

FYI, contrary to the recent news that Mazda is ceasing production of the RX-8, the rotary engine is not dead at Mazda.
PistonHeads Headlines - Mazda sticks by rotary

Gotcha, thanks for the little lesson. Is your's going to sound like that three rotor you linked too in the other thread? I'm looking forward to some clips of yours on the road.

Is your's going to sound like that three rotor you linked too in the other thread?
Yup.
For reference to his post and just because it sounds so good....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAuA54ynnKE&feature=player_embedded]THREE ROTOR - YouTube[/ame]

Yup,

The only motor that I ever blew was a STOCK 1991 RX7 rotary. It was on a cold (70degrees) startup and the ECU dumped so much fuel into the motor that it wiped all oil off the rotor seals and left me with 0 lbs compression.

It was ECU software problem.

Fortunately the car was less than 1 year old and still under warranty.

Awesome! Any new pictures? I assume you have some of the engine all hooked up if a few have gone awry. On that note, what issues did you have with the other engines? What can one expect to pay for a 20b making around 500 hp?

Back