SL-C Side Skirts Question

Does anyone have a picture or instructions on how to fit/mount the side skirts on an SL-C. Couldn't find it in the manual or the wiki. I received what I believe to be both sides molded in one piece that it appears needs to be cut in half to install.

Thanks. Any suggestions on how to mount them? Was thinking of just tapping some holes in the bottom of the tub extension.

Yes, just bolt or screw them to the chassis extension aluminum on the sides. Using nutserts makes it much easier to remove and replace.

Will, I am little confused with the instructions in the manual - I have mounted my side skirts on top of the aluminum extension with the body on top of that - so from bottom chassis, skirt, body; screws/bolts through all three.
Is this not correct?
Thanks

The side skirts go under the aluminum extensions. There's an indent formed in the side skirt and that will fit under the extensions.

Top to bottom

body on top of extensions
extensions
side skirts under the extensions

I countersink some 14/-20 bolts under the extensions that will go up through the body to hold it on. Rivet nuts work well on the body.
Then the skirts can be mounted underneath by drilling and tapping holes into the extensions.

I checked with Fran, and according to him, the order is as stated in the manual, which is "... from the bottom, skirt, body, aluminum chassis extensions", with the body pulled a bit to stretch over the extensions. That makes the extensions the top part of the sandwich, and allows the two fiberglass pieces (the body and the skirt) to fit perfectly together.

You can mount them as Allan suggests as well, and that has the benefit of not having to pull the body a bit wider to fit over the chassis extensions, which makes it easier to remove and re-install the body. The disadvantage of that approach is that the extensions aren't at the top of the sandwich, which perhaps doesn't look as good.

Either way can work, but the order in the manual is the official method from the factory.

Good to know, I was actually wondering this same question this weekend. Makes sense by using nutserts on the extensions and allows to attach body and side skirts together.

I checked with Fran, and according to him, the order is as stated in the manual, which is "... from the bottom, skirt, body, aluminum chassis extensions", with the body pulled a bit to stretch over the extensions. That makes the extensions the top part of the sandwich, and allows the two fiberglass pieces (the body and the skirt) to fit perfectly together.

You can mount them as Allan suggests as well, and that has the benefit of not having to pull the body a bit wider to fit over the chassis extensions, which makes it easier to remove and re-install the body. The disadvantage of that approach is that the extensions aren't at the top of the sandwich, which perhaps doesn't look as good.

Either way can work, but the order in the manual is the official method from the factory.

The factory itself doesn't fit them that way and yours isn't fitted that way either. There is no way the interior tub will fit with the body a quarter inch lower. Also that would put all the weight of the body on the bolts instead of the chassis.

The factory itself doesn't fit them that way and yours isn't fitted that way either. There is no way the interior tub will fit with the body a quarter inch lower. Also that would put all the weight of the body on the bolts instead of the chassis.

Agreed.

New question regarding Side Skirts - Fran is building my SLC as a turnkey. As a result, I don't have access to all of the dimensions and I don't want to keep bothering him with endless questions.

I really like the side skirts like those pictured below that have the fins. If I want to look at creating custom side skirts and/or OEM side skirts like these, What are the exact dimensions that I would need to fit the length and to have enough to attach to the aluminum extensions. Note I am also planning to have the front and rear body on hinges with struts to easily open.

Side Skirts with fins.jpg

I'd have Fran install a set of fiberglass side skirts - then once you get the car remove them, mod them with the fins as you'd like, paint, and re-install them. Everything's somewhat custom so giving you a dimension now so you can fab a set without having the car next to you would likely give you a sub-optimal result.

Looking very Hot Michael Fling. Wow. Can you post a few more pictures on your build thread of your stripes on the full car. I can only see a few here of the stripes here but looks very sexy. Great job!!!

Joel provided me with the actual measurements that I was looking for. Thanks sooo much Joel.

Unfortunately, the side skirts above that I like so much are 3 inches too short. The search goes on....

Measurement - Actual -  for Side Skirts.jpg
Measurement - Actual 2-  for Side Skirts.jpg

Back