SLC 001 Build

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Tom,
<Snip>

Dave you are correct...maybe I should have said upper end performance cars have all their scoops functional. Others.... Mustangs, Challengers..do not.

Sorry Rob if that came off as a smart *ss remark - it was unintended if it did.

Dave L

Red Snake
The tires are Mickey Thompson Sportsman radials, used mostly on street rods. There were no Can-Am sized tires other than these when I started, recently Pirelli came out with a similarly sized V or Z rated tire. Although the dia is larger than mine.

We can talk about fenders when you are ready.

Last edited:
Dave
No worries mate, taken as intended.

I am using the Manex and truthfully I would have used Fran's AC set up except I'm moving all the systems (radiator, condenser) that were in the front "trunk" area to other locations. This is because I intend to use the car as more of a GT rather than a GT-P, the open space will be used as a full on trunk. Hopefully it will make the car a little more trip friendly.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Dave
No worries mate, taken as intended.

I am using the Manex and truthfully I would have used Fran's AC set up except I'm moving all the systems (radiator, condenser) that were in the front "trunk" area to other locations. This is because I intend to use the car as more of a GT rather than a GT-P, the open space will be used as a full on trunk. Hopefully it will make the car a little more trip friendly.

Thanks Rob.

I'm anxious to see what you have in the works. Dual radiators and condensors off of the side scoops? Keep us posted as things progress. It looks like the Manex evaporator will fit on the passender side just rearward of the footwell. To increase passenger legroom it looks like it could be put under the dash though this would require cutting into the aluminum sheet. Have you decided on placement yet?

Dave L

I took Tom's and Howard's pedal ideas and combined the thinking...here is the result. In the picture showing them in the foot well there is a conflict so they are not as far back in as they could be. When done they will reside about 3 inches farther back.

I had to take one of the seat tracks apart to see how it worked because I needed to shorten them....things were going fine until I noticed a ball bearing go 'plunk'.....hey where did that come from?. Eventually I chased down 12 of the little beggars. As it turns out after shortening one needs to weld a stop back on the tracks. Most importantly it holds the bearings in.

Sorry about the flash, when I get the final positioning I'll take another shot

In the end this setup gives four inches of travel.

Attachments

• 100_2363.jpg
    100_2363.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 904
  • 100_2369.jpg
    100_2369.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 956
  • 100_2370.jpg
    100_2370.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 894
  • 100_2358.jpg
    100_2358.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 937
Last edited:

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Now that is an innovative idea! I like it Rob. I also like the inset Digi-Dash module - that's exactly what I plan to do. Refresh my memory - are you doing the adjustable pedals because the seat will be fixed or are both adjustable? Unfortunately, I'm not far enough along to decide if I want adjustable pedals and/or seat...but soon!

Dave L

Great work Rob.

I'm following the same tack although I may try to "tilt" the DBW a little rather than at a vertical. Just got my Ricardo today!

Dave,
With the Recaro seat there just isnt enough room to install tracks, the only thing that will happen is you'll smash yourself against the dash if you move the seat forward. IMO its far better to have the pedals move. With the four inches of travel in my car the driver size range will be approximately 5-6 to 6-2. Not counting headroom limitations.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
That makes sense - I forgot about the proximity of the dash and wheel to the seat. What will be involved with moving the pedal assembly in your SLC? Just reach down, pull up on the seat rail locking lever and slide them?

Thanks,
Dave L

The third pic in post 127 shows the narrowed and shortened grab rail, that will be buried at the front of the foot box. A upward pulling cable will be attached to it about mid point to be actuated under the dash near the steering wheel.

A few more with the pedals in the correct location

Attachments

• 100_2377.jpg
    100_2377.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 630
  • 100_2379.jpg
    100_2379.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 708
  • 100_2380.jpg
    100_2380.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 653
it has always been an ambition to rebuild the stock (remake) base plate for the ricardo shifter. the stock plate is massively wide and is curved to fit into the GT center spine. it all ends up looking a bit much, of course this is fine if you cover it with the nice RCR center trim. me with my seats so close together there is no room for such things. besides i like the idea of some of the car have that naked look. so here is my first attempt at fabrication in steel from scratch. don't beat me up too bad....Ox I am not.

Attachments

• 100_2453.jpg
    100_2453.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 664
  • 100_2454.jpg
    100_2454.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 616
  • 100_2455.jpg
    100_2455.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 609
  • 100_2456.jpg
    100_2456.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 583
  • 100_2460.jpg
    100_2460.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 596
here are a few more of the finished underside of the dash. this has been a particularly demanding winter on a number of fronts so the time and truthfully interest on the car has been way down. sometimes other aspects of life are way more important, so not much progress.

hope you enjoy what little i have done.

Attachments

• 100_2371.jpg
    100_2371.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 753
  • 100_2372.jpg
    100_2372.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 721
  • 100_2374.jpg
    100_2374.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 699
  • 100_2376.jpg
    100_2376.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 693
here are a few shots of what has made making a full front trunk at all possible. these puppies took months and months to find somebody to make them. i got suggestions (thank you) from all over the globe on the subject. in the end it was a company right here in so. california that got the job done. they are sweet, made to exact specs and very reasonably priced. without these the whole idea would have been a bust. oh, i guess i should have said what they are....a/c condensers

Attachments

• 100_2384.jpg
    100_2384.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 978
  • 100_2385.jpg
    100_2385.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 789
  • 100_2386.jpg
    100_2386.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 830
Last edited:
Back