SLC 001 Build

No, no not quite Doc.
When I was a teen I spent a year hammering out a slope nosed wide body 914 fender set out of steel. The guy next door thought I was a loon for cutting up a perfectly good car only (he thought) for it to never be finished. This here is my second attempt at creating such a thing. I understood the concept of it all but never have done this scale of glass work before, so it has been an interesting upgrade to my body styling skill set.

My technical advisor on this project has been Jack Molleur and I'd like to thank Jack for his selfless sharing of a career's worth of fiberglass part design and working knowledge.

Hey Rob, you did the real work, and a great job too! We're all here to share as best we can. You can really be proud of this accomplishment. Looking super! Great student too even though almost 3000 miles away.

Last edited:
Put in a long day Sunday in order to get the deck lid put together. Ahhhh....slept well that night.

Attachments

• 100_2010.jpg
    100_2010.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 981
  • 100_2014.jpg
    100_2014.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,162
  • 100_2013b.jpg
    100_2013b.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,075
Frinfabufrickinabulous!

So what is the overall width now?

About a week and a half, I'd guess. :laugh:

BTW Rob is being *extremely* modest about the Porsche 914 he built. He gave me a ride in that car back in the early 1990s and I still remember it vividly. He not only put a slant nose on it, he also put monster IMSA flares on it, so that it looked to be as wide as it was long! He ditched the wheezy VW motor for a hotted-up 350 Chevy! He got it to cool by mounting a radiator horizontally, parallel to the ground, with a big sucker fan setup on the back side. The stock gearbox would never take the torque so he always started off in 2nd gear.

It was equipped with Centerline 15-inch disc wheels, which were not the best choice. When he drove it hard at Sears Point, the brakes got so hot because of a lack of airflow, the wheel centers melted out of the wheels!

Rob--since you brought it up, how about posting pictures of that car? It's something that deserves to be seen too. :thumbsup:

Just noticed its been 6 months since I've added anything to my thread. With any luck there will be pics of some of what has been going on with the build.

I am set on creating a functioning roof scoop, to that end I fabricated a tunnel to direct air down the center of the roof. The access panel is to allow installation of an air filter. The plan is to run a forward facing manifold (possibly custom design), run the intake ducting from the throttle body, under the rear roll bar and up to this tunnel. There is no way to run it over the roll bar in the rear because the roll bar blocks too much flow.

Attachments

• 100_2313.jpg
    100_2313.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 809
  • 100_2315.jpg
    100_2315.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 915
  • 100_2320.jpg
    100_2320.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 810
  • 100_2308.jpg
    100_2308.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 802
  • 100_2324.jpg
    100_2324.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 827
Another goal is to remove the AC evaporator from the front "trunk" area to the upper foot box. This required a different evaporator than standard and some defrost ducting to be made.

Attachments

• 100_2334.jpg
    100_2334.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 701
  • 100_2346.jpg
    100_2346.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 696
  • 100_2349.jpg
    100_2349.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 735

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Okay Rob, so you don't post for 6 months and then you post this - FANTASTIC!

So, am I understanding your roof scoop correctly - you are drawing air to the interior through the scoop and through a filter to the interior and drawing air to the the engine intake through the same duct? If this is the case the only thing I would be concerned about is engine compartment gases migrating to the interior - especially when the car is idling. A charcoal filter may help. Coming from driving a Lotus my goal is to seal the engine compartment from the interior as much as possible. Just my $.02.

Your defrost ducting looks amazing - really nicely done. Are you going with the Manex evaporator? If so, have you done a trial fitting? I'm just about to purchase one.

Excellent work as always!
Regards,
Dave L

The filter will be used to protect the engine, the engineering has been worked out and parts identified to pull the whole idea off. The primary use of this is to feed cold air to the engine, the interior air option is a fall back position. If for some unknown reason the engine feed does not pan out, the plenum will be used provide outside air to the interior.

I really wanted to avoid having this beautiful scoop in the roof serve no practical purpose...that kind of stuff just says "k.t c.r" to me.

How did you come to select the Manex?

Hi Rob
This is a pic of a APOLLO. They also feed the intake from the front via a roof air scoop. May be it helps a bit

intake.jpg

TOM

Tom,

It looks like you could turn the top of the Apollo plenum around for rear intake without much modification (of course, you first have to find an Apollo intake!).

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
The filter will be used to protect the engine, the engineering has been worked out and parts identified to pull the whole idea off. The primary use of this is to feed cold air to the engine, the interior air option is a fall back position. If for some unknown reason the engine feed does not pan out, the plenum will be used provide outside air to the interior.

I really wanted to avoid having this beautiful scoop in the roof serve no practical purpose...that kind of stuff just says "k.t c.r" to me.

How did you come to select the Manex?

Okay, I see now that makes sense - so not too unlike what Tom's photo shows.

I agree the scoop has to be functional. Funny thing is a lot of production "performance" cars have non-functional scoops so its not just a kit car thing.

Jack mentioned the Manex to me - not sure if he found it or if someone else put him onto it. Its VERY small and looks like it should fit but I haven't taken the plunge and bought one yet. I'm still working on getting the hardware to bolt the engine and gearbox in place so I'm a ways away from the AC install.

Tom,
I drew a version of an air box like this one you show. My concern was the hard angle the air must make from the throttle body to get up to the filter box. Now that I see Apollo has done exactly that....I guess it's not as much a problem as I thought.

Dave you are correct...maybe I should have said upper end performance cars have all their scoops functional. Others.... Mustangs, Challengers..do not.

J - Old F1 tires - right ! A Can-am look was actually the goal. Most Can-am rims were in the 17 inch wide area (as were F1 rims) with the 917-30KL up to 21 inches if I have my facts correct.

Leon - The rims are 16W x 20D and the tires measure 15.5W x 28.5D

I am close to pulling molds off these plugs and have newer pics to post....its just that my system and this site don't get along all that well when it come to posting pictures.

Where did you find the tire and what r their exact size. i love them

Back