SLC 36 Cam's Build

Cam,
re: the second adjustable link for the a/c compressor. Did you use the McMaster Carr part numbers I gave you? Is the compressor solid know at high RPM?

Cam,
re: the second adjustable link for the a/c compressor. Did you use the McMaster Carr part numbers I gave you? Is the compressor solid know at high RPM?

Thansk for the p/n. I ended up getting a left hand tap from McMaster and making my own turnbuckle out of al rod. i ordered that just before i got that p/n from you, dooh.

Just for a reality check, I got the groupon to the DFW drive you dream. 4 cars 8 guys. I really wanted to try that Audi R8. The Gallardo was supposed to be there but, surprise broken, so the owner donated his 599. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I was amazed at how mediocre the R8 V8 was. Acceleration was yawn. The V10 might have been better but it also had some bad habits on cornering. The rear end would snap as if the traction control was on electro shock therapy. The Aston martin Vantage was downright scary. Not because it was fast, because the body roll was like the titanic. Acceleration, yawn.<o:p></o:p>
Now the 599 acceleration felt the closest of all to the SLC, but, ok, it’s a $384k car. I think it would edge out the LS 376 unless you had the SLC tires gooey hot. 599 Paddle shifts=1 femtosecond. The traction control was phenomenal but throw it in a corner and all that weight in the front was unpredictable. The ceramic 14” rotor were nice pretty darn similar to the SLC, with hot tires. <o:p></o:p>
Bottom line, the handling was amazingly lame on all 4 cars compared to SLC. Ferrari 670 HP was a nice way to overcome the 3700 lbs curb weight. A 670HP SLC with traction control, watch out.<o:p></o:p>

Attachments

• Drive2.jpg
    Drive2.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 797
Cam- I can confirm that the G handles better than those cars, but still even compared to my Z06 handles poorly. its heavy.

The sound from the V10 is intoxicating though.

Wow, I havent posted in 1/2 a year. I saw a thread about 0-60

I was messing around with the SLC several months back. 1st gear is listed at 56mph, i thought i might be able to make 0-60 in 1 gear. I had my old Nittos, not very warm, set the digidash 0-60 and did a mild 3600 clutch dump. At 58 i hit fuel pump cut out. Drat. Sure enough, that spreadsheet for calculating speed from tire diameter, gear ratio, etc, was right. Dumped it into 2nd and still pulled a 3.8 sec. The Digidash cant lie, compared to my neighbor using a stopwatch.

I remember seeing 3.3 sec as a projected 0-60 time and I bet that would be easy with warm tires and a pro driving.

With a 3.3 rear end ratio and 25" of tire in the back, this is not exactly easy on the drivetrain. I've stopped doing any 0-60 or quarter mile runs, my build is not set for that. I'm set for long pulls on the track. I'd think a Porche transaxle with a low final drive ratio might be best. I hear the Ricardo only has a 3.90 option and its real hard to find?

The last car show had a photographer with a camera the size of a cannon and 2 strobes set up. He photoshopped it a bit. He was selling them but he gave me them if i promised to let him use the SLC as a backdrop for his models. I better get this car an agent...

Attachments

• Blacked out.jpg
    Blacked out.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 737
Hadnt had a chance to post but the building continues. I went back and copied the retro door handle inserts that were used in the mule. They werent mass produced so time to get out the grinder. the brushed SS was thin enough to contour to the arc in the doors. I put a 1/8 Al reinformcement panel on the SS then another subplate of 1/8" Al. the miata door have anew home. light weight.

Attachments

• door panel3.jpg
    door panel3.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 594
  • door handle.jpg
    door handle.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 549
  • handle top view.jpg
    handle top view.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 579
This may opnly apply to old school SLC's but if that 1 grade 5 allen bolt looks familiar you might want to replace it with grade 8. I locktighted that allen blue then red and still got a bit of a creak. The noise took 3-4k miles to surface but the new lockwashered grade 8 seems to have ended it. I think fran has tig-ed a new part to hold the rear front lca, so this may be a moot point..

Attachments

• lca replace.jpg
    lca replace.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 576
This may opnly apply to old school SLC's but if that 1 grade 5 allen bolt looks familiar you might want to replace it with grade 8. I locktighted that allen blue then red and still got a bit of a creak. The noise took 3-4k miles to surface but the new lockwashered grade 8 seems to have ended it. I think fran has tig-ed a new part to hold the rear front lca, so this may be a moot point..

I'm confused as to what you're saying the issue is? I've got 4 allen-headed bolts there? Why would a bolt creak? Are you saying they loosened up?:huh:

Hadnt had a chance to post but the building continues. I went back and copied the retro door handle inserts that were used in the mule. They werent mass produced so time to get out the grinder. the brushed SS was thin enough to contour to the arc in the doors. I put a 1/8 Al reinformcement panel on the SS then another subplate of 1/8" Al. the miata door have anew home. light weight.

Now where are you gonna put all the groceries???:D

Cam is this the front right creak of the body you pointed out when I visited?

I'm confused as to what you're saying the issue is? I've got 4 allen-headed bolts there? Why would a bolt creak? Are you saying they loosened up?

I know fran has a new fabricated solid peice here so this is for old school slcs. it may be the head of thjis bolt to scraping on the tub. it was shined from wear. Adding a grade 8 lockwasher may have helped. i locktighted the old allen head grade 5 twice first blue then red and finally just swapped them to finally end the noise.

Doc, yes then that took care of the creak.

BTW, they are sae 3/8” -16 x 1”. If you add a lockwasher you coupld probably fit 1.25” might have to chop and die it a bit.

Hey Cam,

Great car and show/track career so far!! I really like the thicker black headlight surround in that recent photoshopped image you posted....might be time to hire a photographer and some models ;)

Chris,

Hey Cam,

....might be time to hire a photographer and some models ;)

Chris, good idea on the model. A photographer stopped me at a car show and said "pick a model out of the 5 I works with". Really... when do you get to pick your model for free high speed taxi photos?

Also I had the SLC up on the Hunter rack so i snapped a front undercarriage photo. i dont have the lift kit and have a few scrapes but no real damage. 7K+ miles over 2.5 years.[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• taxi.jpg
    taxi.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 617
  • front under.jpg
    front under.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 561

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Cam what coil springs are you using in the rear. Are yours the Hyperco 8" or 7" and what is the spring rate? Fran recommended to me the 850lb spring rate to use with the Ricardo transaxle. Is it better to use the slightly longer 8" length so the threaded nut on the coilover shock doesn't need to be be tightened so far to get the desired ride height?

Cam what coil springs are you using in the rear. Are yours the Hyperco 8" or 7" and what is the spring rate? Fran recommended to me the 850lb spring rate to use with the Ricardo transaxle. Is it better to use the slightly longer 8" length so the threaded nut on the coilover shock doesn't need to be be tightened so far to get the desired ride height?

If you wanted to experiment with different heights and rates I'm willing to let my swift springs go on the cheap ... Dean ran 8'' height with no problem ... meant less adjusting of the coilover.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/garage-sale/39036-fs-sl-c-springs-swift-qa-1-a.html

Back