SLC 36 Cam's Build

As I recall flow for the GM LS water pump is IN through the thermostat and OUT through the upper port. That hasn't changed through some "magic" in the SL-Cs config, has it?

Not changed at all. It is the direction of the inlet/outlet that is slightly changed.

Cam
The look of the 'chrome' in the picture is about what I'd come to expect from a bomb can. Although the reflection off the HL bezel in the video is much brighter and goes along with what you said about it being more 'metal' looking in person.

Couldn't you just by the "chrome" film from 3m and just like a wrap press it on to fit. I suppose the heat might become an issue as i have no idea about the tolerances of some of that stuff (but they do use it on windows so I would assume that it would be O.K.). There is also this stuff http://www.alsacorp.com/ and for those NOT in the U.S. there is this http://colourmycar.net/go/chrome

Last edited:
Cam
The look of the 'chrome' in the picture is about what I'd come to expect from a bomb can. Although the reflection off the HL bezel in the video is much brighter and goes along with what you said about it being more 'metal' looking in person.

Mesa for some reason the flash washes out the chrome metal look on my camera. the video had no flash and got lit from behind. you'r right it does look more similar to that image.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Cam

I like your rework of the mirrors. I have been looking around for straight stalks similar to yours. These are the closest I've found. These are electric. I seen them on Monday when I went to Makinaw City.

Regards Brian

Attachments

• dcp_4734.jpg
    dcp_4734.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 349
  • dcp_4733.jpg
    dcp_4733.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 312
Nice, is that on a Eclipse or a solstice? The Eclipse looked like they worked but the fiberglass mirrors came with the kit so figured i'd use them.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It's a Saturn Sky. I think they are the same for the Solstice also. I found them on Ebay for $150.00 a pair " newGM ". I think they are like $400.00 at the dealer.

Regards Brian

Hadn't posted in a while but been busy. Here is another shot of the tail light in using the new F/g mount. I'd recommenda strip of glass over the top of the assembly. Initially i epoxied it in and it was jolted out. I took out the stock dodge mounts, too short, and tapped uneven all thread into the holes left behind. changed ou thte bulbs for LED cluster. I nuked every bulb in this car and went with LED's, except the headlights.

Attachments

• Tail lt glassed in.jpg
    Tail lt glassed in.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 404
The front end really has nothing structral to tow from. Not that my build will break down but i might get a bad load of gas:drunk:. I reached back to the footbox and braced the front of the trinagle with some beefy 1/4" steel angle. Yup, i said steel. i added around 12lbs to the car. but my New Years resolution is to lose that 12lbs!

Attachments

• tow1.jpg
    tow1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 407
  • tow bar2.jpg
    tow bar2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 433
  • two3.jpg
    two3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 446
I wanted to add some rigidity to the front clip and floow the lines. it just happened to end up looking like steel spears! Eventually i'll tie these into the lower Tow bar. this hopefully will add additional force to keep the tow bar from trying to bend upward if towed.

Attachments

• deer killers.jpg
    deer killers.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 561

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Car looks great Cam...thats one of my favourite views of the car also...

My only concern is why you would want a tow bar....with a nice reliable Chevy in there...its not a BBF afterall....:lipsrsealed:

Great shots Cam.. I like your towing solution. I guess I never really thought about the need to tow the SLC, but anything can happen. I wonder if that's part of the reason the front end was stripped off the SLC-R during the 24hr race...

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The Race issue was due to a tow truck driver hooking to the nose mount instead of the tow hook...

We had a chassis mounted tow hook/strap on the race car...

Last edited:
Well if I get a ticket for 100mph+ theres a chance of impound. I jsu twant to make sure the tow truck has a bright red hook to grab in my absence!

Here are a few shots of the wiper. I needed to chop into the top of the footbax to get the wiper down far enough. If not the wiper blade will overshoot the top of the windshield. It works amazingly well although i don't have the self park wiring. i assume it comes off the 40 way pigtail but don't have time to mess with it. i just need it for inspection as i won't be driving it in the rain. I'll just self park.

Attachments

• wiper cut into top of footbox.jpg
    wiper cut into top of footbox.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 464
  • Wiper location2.jpg
    Wiper location2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 576
I had zero washers on my Lower control arm mount. i cut 4 steel spacers and left a little daylight, around 1/32". then i pounded a 1/16" front end shim into the gap. I think it's important to give this heim no chance of moving. Otherwise the heim will prefer to move on the 5/8" bolt.

Attachments

• LCA bushing.jpg
    LCA bushing.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 409
Shoot, bought 1" bulb seal. i think the 3/4" would work best. here is a pic of the one i shouda bought.

Attachments

• weatherstrip.jpg
    weatherstrip.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 435
  • bulb 3556.jpg
    bulb 3556.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 410
Back