SLC Coolant Tank Group Buy?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for all of the interest. Here is the plan at this point. I want to order all of the fill necks, hose barbs, etc. this coming week and have the aluminum components ordered/cut. If you are on the fence now is the time to make a decision - there is a discount when ordering more than 1. I may make an extra tank but that's about it.

That being said, I will make the CAD file available to all once I confirm that everything fits as intended so folks can make their own or have one made.

Best regards,
Dave L

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I wanted to confirm that my CAD drawing was reasonably accurate so I drew out and cut the components from poster board as accurately as possible, taped it together and did a trial fit. Looks good to go. I'll be ordering the CNC cut aluminum and all of the weld-on parts today. The aluminum will take about 2 weeks to receive then the welding begins - that'll probably take another couple of weeks.

More to come.....

Dave L

Attachments

• P9030001.JPG
    P9030001.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 304
  • P9030002.JPG
    P9030002.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 310
  • P9030003.JPG
    P9030003.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 322
  • P9030004.JPG
    P9030004.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 277
  • P9030005.JPG
    P9030005.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 319
Hard to tell from the photos, but how is the clearance for the cap, and what would be the maximum length I could use for stand-offs?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Hard to tell from the photos, but how is the clearance for the cap, and what would be the maximum length I could use for stand-offs?

Ben -

Cap clearance should not be an issue - the rear clam has about a 1/2" lip that sits on the forward edge of the spider. In other words the rear clam is convex above the tank cap.

I honestly don't think stand-offs are needed. I plan to insulate the bulkhead then install the tank. However, if you really want stand-offs I'd estimate 1/4"-3/8".

Regards,
Dave L

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Folks -

At this point all of the tanks for this run have been spoken for - even the extra ones I had planned on making. I'm going to check to see if I can increase the number of aluminum parts today - more tanks could be in the works - stay tuned.....

Regards,
Dave L

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I was able to re-order the aluminum parts so there are 5....well 4 more tanks available since one is going to Troy.

By the way, some of the weld-on fittings are on back-order so there may be a delay for some of the tanks........

Dave L

Howard Jones

Supporter
As far as the standoffs go, This tank will be about half full of 190F or better water. It will heat soak the alum bulkhead behind it if you don't insulate between them. There are several types of insulation as well as using something like a 1/8" thick sheet of fiberglass cut to the profile of the tank and sandwiched between it and the firewall.

I think that stand offs without insulation will not work very well. Better yet, a completely insulated firewall and a effective heatshield between the tank and the firewall.

I plan on insulating the inside and outside of the firewall. So, is the general consensus that stand-offs are not necessary? Would insulating the coolant tank be beneficial?

My apologies if I've inadvertently drifted this thread.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Would insulating the coolant tank be beneficial?

You want to cover up my beautiful tank!?!! ;-) Just kidding....I don't think insulating the tank would do much. The goal is to keep the heat from the tank away from the interior of the car - just insulate the bulkhead (I plan to insulate both sides) and be done with it.

Dave L

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Update - All of the back ordered parts are now in hand. All I need is the cut aluminum which should arrive this week then it all goes off to be welded.

For those who may be interested in a tank I've stepped out on a limb and will be making extras. Unless you have the talent of being able to CNC cut and weld aluminum, the cost to make 1 tank is prohibitive. I think this group buy will turn out to be a pretty good deal.

I've had a couple people ask if I'm making a profit on this and the answer is "no".

Regards,
Dave L

Hey Dave, Just let me how you want the money for tank & I'll get it to you.
Thanks
Joe Vask

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Settle down guys ;-) I'll hit you up for funds once the tanks are finished and I have a final cost plus shipping. It may be another 3 weeks or so.

Dave L

Back