SLC exhaust options

Hi guys. I've got a few SL-C guys ordering the Kooks headers from me that are designed to fit the GTM. I realize the X-pipe (shown on the yellow car in Randy's post above) won't work in the SL-C, but as of right now, I see no reason that the headers won't fit. I have one potential customer who is looking into ordering these headers for his SL-C, running an LS7 and Ricardo. Does anyone have some pics from directly behind the car/chassis, and directly to the side---thru the chassis to show how the engine/trans is mounted? I'm trying to verify that these will fit:

exhaustheaders004.jpg

On the GTM, as you can see the rear of the header is swept up to route the exhaust up and over the axles, but there is a concern that they may not sweep up soon enough on the SL-C/Ricardo set-up to clear the mounting bracket that attaches the trans/adapter plate to the chassis. Here are a few pics of these headers in a GTM with LS7 and Ricardo:

0909110004.jpg

0909110002.jpg

0909110005.jpg

So, if anyone can verify that these will or will not fit the SL-C/Ricardo I would sure appreciate it so I can get back to my customer with an answer and so I know how many of these to order from Kooks. Thanks!!

That GTM conversion looks familiar...:thumbsup:

I have a set of headers here ( from the GTM trade in) and have told Roberto that I will check if I get time early this week.

Hello Shane and welcome
It looks to me that they will fit just fine from the pics you posted. They look like they point in all the correct directions to me. Of course in a tight area every little thing makes a difference. What is the distance from the centerline of the exaust ports to the bottom of the headers (the lowest point of the system)?

Hello Shane and welcome
It looks to me that they will fit just fine from the pics you posted. They look like they point in all the correct directions to me. Of course in a tight area every little thing makes a difference. What is the distance from the centerline of the exaust ports to the bottom of the headers (the lowest point of the system)?

According to my tape measure, and depending on how I hold my straight edge across the bottom of the header, you're looking at somewhere close to about 12-1/4" from the centerline of the exhaust ports to the very bottom of the header.

Here's kind of a side-view of it installed in a GTM. If you look at the LH bottom corner of the pic, you can see the "bat-wing" of the 'Vette oil pan and just behind where the header angles up, you can see the rear of the oil pan/trans adapter plate.

0803140033-1.jpg

Thanks Shane, I will check these measurements out on my car this afternoon and report back.

Fran: There is NO room for turbos my car, all the 'extra' space is taken up with the rads. But...there is room for a supercharger and I have parts bin spec'd one out with the engineers at magnusson (Nice!). How to fund the damn thing is another story.

Shane,

Here are a few photos that I took of Cam's SL-C with LS/Ricardo. Not quite the perspectives that you might be needing, but best I can do from Lone Oak laptop for now:

Attachments

• attachment-8 (2).jpg
    attachment-8 (2).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 740
  • GetAttachment-3.jpg
    GetAttachment-3.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 657
  • _DSC2417_2.jpg
    _DSC2417_2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 625
  • _DSC2418_2.jpg
    _DSC2418_2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 638
Doc Kaler,

That last pic is the best I've seen so far of that area. Looks like as long as the collector clears that mount that runs from the chassis to the adapter plate, we should be GTG. Hopefully Fran will have time to check that out this week so we can be sure. Thanks for the help! If anyone else has some pics of this area from different angles, feel free to post.

Shane
After measuring my car I think they will fit fine my only minor concern is if there is enough space width wise between the chassis and the collectors (still I think they'll work)....now the ball is in Fran's court. Unless you want to ship me a set to see if they fit.

Btw, while we're talking about exhaust options what size primary tubes would you guys recommend if you're going equal length, large cam, 500+cid, around 900hp...no cats, no h/x, just merging 4 into 1 somewhere around the transaxle?

I know how you size the primaries is critical, so I'd like to have some rough idea so I can research and think when we start mocking it up for construction.

OK...GTM headers DO NOT FIT....although New Kooks headers are being made with the correct modifications made so there is now an aftermarket SL-C header system available through Shane at Vraptorworks...

Thanks for checking that out Fran! OK Shane, we are ready to give it a go :thumbsup:. (I have an order in for a ceramic coated set and we were waiting for the green light).

Thanks for the help with this Fran! As he said, I finally got confirmation from Kooks late yesterday that they can make these headers the way we want them so they will fit the SL-C.

Thanks for the help with this Fran! As he said, I finally got confirmation from Kooks late yesterday that they can make these headers the way we want them so they will fit the SL-C.

So can we place orders for them now?

Allan,

I have already placed an order and we were waiting for confirmation from Fran and Kooks. Everything is a "go".

Hey Allan,

I sent you a PM. I'm not an official vendor here on the forum yet....working on that, so I don't want to over-step my bounds here. I was contacted by a couple of guys on this forum (including Doc Kaler) thru the ffcars.com forum since I am the distributor of the Factory Five GTM Kooks exhaust system.....that's how they found me. My involvement in this thread was just to see if I could figure out if the stock GTM headers would fit the SL-C or not.......not to try to sell them without first becoming a vendor, and I don't want to get myself in trouble here.

Back