SLC exhaust options

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The request is for a 180 deg. bundle of snakes style exhaust system....not just a crossover....we use Sebring mufflers on some of our SL-C's so that is not a problem.

Attachments

• -Sandy_exhaust_002__Small_.jpg
    -Sandy_exhaust_002__Small_.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 976
Ketil, I was hoping you could enlighten us as to exactly where you would put that muffler and tube routing to and from. Clearences would be helpful, ie; axles to lower arms, axles to upper arms, cross brace to gearbox, crossbrace to bodywork, rear diffuser, rear motor mount to tubing, rear uprights, new tail bodywork, etc. I realize it may be a bit difficult without having an SLC in your garage yet, but please, give it a try.

Hello gents!

I must in all honesty say that I find it really strange that a well built car like the SL-C does not have a good solution for a muffled exhaust system. I meen, look at the #18 car ! Looks like Fran & Gang pulled it off really nice. Yes I can see the difficulty making a functional x-over, but why all the fuss? No I don`t have an SL-C in my garage yet, but how hard can it be?

How about a Porsche 911 Fabspeed muffler like this? 2 in and 2 out, and pretty slim (one way at least)

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

It could have been put upside down in reg. to the pictures, that way the pipe from the cats could go underneath the half shafts and straight into the muffler. Maybe ??......... Any one?

What a great idea! I wonder where I have heard that before?

Thanks for adding a picture that relates specifically to my post.

Did you even care to READ the thread before replying to it?:idea:

Sebring offers a nice polished stainless internal X pipe design like the one Crash posted a picture of. I spied it at SEMA two years ago but as noted without room above the rear subframe there would be no place to put it.

Ketel: It may be a while before I can spell your name correctly :) There is no room to mount a muffler cross ways behind the grearboix as you posted pictures of. I don't remember if the 25 hour car had a cross mounted system, but if it did it was probably because the very small racing gearbox allowed for the room to do it.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Rob,

the #18 car actually has four mufflers...two are Burns race mufflers, mounted low and very close to the collectors .
The other two are Sebring units that are mounted above the rear of the transaxle and the pipes cross ending in tpips that exit the rear diffuser...

The engine being high. comp. was still pretty crisp if you recall and we really needed to dull it down a little more...thats for 2011.

Attachments

• 4 mufflers.jpg
    4 mufflers.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 741
Ketel: It may be a while before I can spell your name correctly :) There is no room to mount a muffler cross ways behind the grearboix as you posted pictures of. I don't remember if the 25 hour car had a cross mounted system, but if it did it was probably because the very small racing gearbox allowed for the room to do it.

Agreed. The back of the car is pretty short, but flip a slightly smaller double inlet/outlet muffler flat, and put it mounted above the tail of the gearbox, behind the frame, and it looks like it MAY fit.

I was going to try an "off the shelf" unit, and then modify it to fit in the space, if needed on the GTM.

Thanks for the heads up on the Sebring. I will check those out.

Wow...that plenum is serious. It looks like a couple of kiddie pools sandwiched together. I want one....but I really like how the rear window looks.

Fran, are you running mufflers and cats on the exhaust that you made turn out before the rear tires?

Rob,
The engine being high. comp. was still pretty crisp if you recall and we really needed to dull it down a little more...thats for 2011.

"Crisp" now there is an understatement LOL .....actually I liked the sound especially on the downshift/over-run. But then the sound police didn't like it so much did they?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
oh well...cant please everyone.....especially in your PC state ...thats for sure...

I know all us gearheads liked it though...

Agreed. The back of the car is pretty short, but flip a slightly smaller double inlet/outlet muffler flat, and put it mounted above the tail of the gearbox, behind the frame, and it looks like it MAY fit.

Mmmm, not certain about that one. When I was playing with transaxle cooler locations I put an Earl's oil cooler above the transaxle cage - I ~just~ had a swiggle of room between it and the rear clip. A muffler, being fatter, probably wouldn't fit horizontally, and even if it did I don't think I'd like the idea of pipes/etc.. being like 1/2'' from the fiberglass (especially since heat rises)

My first thought was to put the muffler where Fran put the 2 single mufflers on the #18 car on top of the transmission. I understand it`s a really tight sqeez, and I was just tossing out an idea :shy:

Either way I think we are talking some serious heat shilding of the FG, unless one God forbids open up the rear clip with some kind of mesh :lipsrsealed:

The 180` bundle of snakes looks really good, but how about the x-brace Fran?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Ketil,

what about the X brace...?

Its an integral part of the chassis system....even with it removed completely there is not enough room for a true 180 deg set of bundle of snakes headers.

Hi Fran and others,

I thought the picture you posted was an SL-C with bundle snakes, but i se now that it`s not, OUPS! My bad.......

Yes I know the X-brace is an integral part of the chassis, but do you think it would be possible to modify the transmission (Ricardo, G50, Mendy) so that you could use it as a stressed member of the chassis? Or maybe that would make the transmission so big that it didn`t help?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The Xtrac 122 as used in the #18 car is a stressed box...and similar types of transaxles can be had over the counter from Emco too...but they are in the $40-50,000 range...

So that set of headers is getting pretty expensive by now...wink.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Well there's always ZQQMIES.....

1974MadMaxInterceptor.jpg

Or perhaps a little more practical to use a flat type of collector such as this
hppp_0902_12_z+1969_pontiac_firebird_convertible+exhaust.jpg

to get the pipes to the rear of the car and then merge with a DR. GAS like this
Engine-bay.jpg

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
When I get my headers from Fran, I'll post some pictures how I am going to do mine. The basic plan is to run equal length 4 into 1's. Kinda of a downward and froward swept with the end of the collector at the rear of the heads. Then run a crossover "H" above my Porsche and then out through the diffuser after passing through two round mufflers one on each side of the gearbox. It all fits nicely in mock up. I will be loud but good enough for all the tracks around here except Laguna Seca and OK for a streetcar should I ever convert it to one.

Heres a pic of a SLC with a H type crossover above a Porsche.

Attachments

• headers-6.JPG
    headers-6.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 617
Ketil,

what about the X brace...?

Its an integral part of the chassis system....even with it removed completely there is not enough room for a true 180 deg set of bundle of snakes headers.

Nothin there that a couple of meter's of alloy RHS & a days TIG welding cant fix..... how did that song go... the first cut is the hardest:)

Back