Slc how does it stack up against the super cars of the world

I have a track only SLC, no tub, no interior panels, no leather or covering, minimal sound deadening, no paint, lightweight wheels and slicks, Li battery and it weighs 2560 dry- no fluids. with fluids and me in it (160#) I am at 2860.

I have a track only SLC, no tub, no interior panels, no leather or covering, minimal sound deadening, no paint, lightweight wheels and slicks, Li battery and it weighs 2560 dry- no fluids. with fluids and me in it (160#) I am at 2860.

Hey Paul - that's a really great data point, thanks for posting! Are you running any additional equipment that wouldn't be considered "normal" for a street build (ie track only type items such as a full vehicle halon system). IIRC you're also sporting a LS376/525 wet sump?

Yep. That sounds about right. I was hoping for 2800. Now looking at 3000 lbs. happy I’m order an lt 5. The extra lbs. hope it helps a little with traction.

Howard Jones

Supporter
2250Lb's with 5 lt V8. That extra 300lb reduction from our SLC weight probably cost another $200K over what it cost to do a track SLC @2550lbs.
dagys_-2013_203007.jpg

Last edited:
i think when mine is all said and done. I’ll get it weighed. What ever it is It is. I’m after a certain look. And build.

Neil

Supporter
My car's dry weight is 1804 lbs according to my spreadsheet of individual component weight totals . Even if I missed a few small items it still looks pretty light. Of course, I have no stereo, radio, A/C, heater, or even a cup holder. :) The 6.3 liter Donovan aluminum block & Dart aluminum heads help quite a bit in keeping the overall weight low.

Attachments

• IMG_20180916_151043494_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180916_151043494_HDR.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 413
My car's dry weight is 1804 lbs according to my spreadsheet of individual component weight totals . Even if I missed a few small items it still looks pretty light. Of course, I have no stereo, radio, A/C, heater, or even a cup holder. :) The 6.3 liter Donovan aluminum block & Dart aluminum heads help quite a bit in keeping the overall weight low.

What is the actual measured weight compared to the spreadsheet's predicted weight?

Neil

Supporter
I don't know yet, Chris. I have a Chatillon 5,000 lb scale that I've weighed some of the heavier parts on but my engine hoist can't lift the whole car so that I can measure its weight with that scale. I did have a preliminary look at the rear axle weight earlier just to get an idea of what to expect. As you can see in the photo there were many panels and components that had not been installed and, of course, the rear body. When I get the engine back in I'll try to find a certified truck scale and weigh the car. I'll be interested, too, in how accurate the spreadsheet is.

Attachments

• Rear Axle Weight Setup.JPG
    Rear Axle Weight Setup.JPG
    606.6 KB · Views: 411
  • Rear Axle Weight Scale.jpg
    Rear Axle Weight Scale.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 346

Howard Jones

Supporter
It seams like a lot of money but if you think about it those Rolex prototypes are full on carbon fiber bodied chrome molly space frame chassis's with a alum block engine and aluminum case (maybe magnesium) gearbox. They have super light weight wheels and race tires that by them selves probably are a 100 pounds lighter than a set of corvette wheels with street tires on them. 1 seat, no street stuff and no glass, all Lexan and everything else is a custom one off piece much of it carbon fiber (the real, thin, vacuum chamber produced race pieces).

To reduce a 2500 pound SLC (already a race version) by 300 pounds means EVERYTHING must be 10% lighter and then some. How do you do that with the LSX motor or the gearbox? Top of the line lightweight wheels cost at least 1K per wheel more and save you about 40-50 pounds a set if you are lucky. Brake disks? The carbon ones are what, $6K?

You are really taking about a completely new build AND it would be a one off. Hell, the race quality carbon bodywork would be $50K at least and god knows how much it would be if it was done to the same spec as a real Daytona prototype and I doubt it would save more than 75 pounds. After all, the fiberglass pieces are not THAT heavy.

DON what did the blue mistress weigh ready to race the endurance races?

The real GOOD news here is you can build a Rolex level performing (nearly) track car for 1/4 the cost of the real thing. Hell of a deal. Now all I need to do is learn to drive it...……………………. And no I'm not selling them for Fran.

Last edited:
Howard. Great info. I doubt mine when built will ever see the track. It will be a one off show car. As we speak. I’m having talks with a company to develope a custom gauge cluster and infotainment screen. With 360 degree sonar and camera. Allan already knows the paint. And the boys at Martin brothers will be doing a one off interior. That’s not to say I wanna built a sled. Lmao. That’s why I chose an lt 5. I think it was more practical and reliable than. A. 1800 hp. NRE TWIN TURBO RACING ENGINE. And 45 k cheaper. I hope to have everything in place. Spec sheet products ready to go by sept. Then place the order. Now only if I can find a Racelogic Traction Control. With launch system. Gonna be tough. I gotta say. Love the knowledge and input the members of this forum have. Just awesome.

Brian. Thanks for the info. If I was still going to use them I would look at there feed back. After talking with Joel. And Allan. I felt the lt5 was a better fit. For me. Again. Thanks for your input.

Joel K

Supporter
Brian. Thanks for the info. If I was still going to use them I would look at there feed back. After talking with Joel. And Allan. I felt the lt5 was a better fit. For me. Again. Thanks for your input.

Thanks for the shout out Mario, but candidly my name should not be used in the same sentance with Allan. I’m like an armchair quarterback, where Allan has played in the Super Bowl. I’ve had my kit for 90 days and don’t have a single bolt attached to the chassis yet, LOL! I spend more time on the forums than in the garage. But having a lot of fun. Anyway, always triple check what I tell you since I am doing this for the first time most of what I know is from reading and not doing. Always happy to talk SLC with you.

Lmao Joel. You Imput. And videos. Help people building slc. And future slc builders. I learn a lot from what you do on you tube. Even tho Alan will build mine. I like to learn all I can. ASI have said before. If I had the time I would build it. But as far as Allan goes. Best money I will spend on the car.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The LT5 more than likely will not sit under the rear engine window if that is a concern for you. The LS9 supercharger just fits and the LT5 supercharger is taller. You can still find the racelogic traction control systems on E Bay occasionally but make sure it is the 8 cylinder model. I purchased one a couple of years ago.

Back