Slk 55

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Pete,
OK....got my feedback from the Motorsports guys...unfortunately it's not a Bosch system. So, I'm in the grass and heading toward the wall.

First question is did you try the extended hold on the ESP button?

An idea for you..... (for track use only...of course this need not be said) if you were to wire a switch in series to the Yaw Rate Sensor for which you could cut off it's power/communication to the ESP, the ESP system should go into what's called "back up ABS". In this mode it essentially works like an older ABS system (i.e. w/o the benefit of peripheral sensors). This should then afford you the ability to smoke the tires down to the rims and have fun drifting every corner of the track all day long. In theory of course.... ;). The YRS is likely located under the center console or under the dash in a central location. Vehicle CG is always target location so start from there and work outward. Once located, it should be a fairly easy test. Just unplug it and go for a drive (track or industrial park i.e. no traffic) and jump on the binders. Key thing to look for is that ABS still works and EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution), i.e. that ABS is able to balance the braking and the ass doesn't pass the front. Should be able to determine this with a couple panic brake stops. Doing it on wet pavement always works best. Then give the throttle a try to confrim the TCS is also disabled. If this proves successful, install a small switch in an inconspicuous place and your good to go.

Sorry I couldn't do more.......:shrug:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Rob,
Yes I did try the extended hold down of the ESP button. Traction control still kicked in. I tried holding it down from about 3 seconds in increments of a second up to ten seconds. Between seven and ten seconds it resets itself back on when you lift off the button.
I will take your advise and have a look for the sensor. Fortunately I have a mate who is an Auto electrician so I will enlist him.
Thanks for you help and thanks to everyone else for your input.:thumbsup:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,
ESP sensors are often linked in with ABS sensors. Maybe deselecting ESP and selecting manual shift (ie away from Auto [does it have memory such as your last 10 driving styles ? - as it may try and remember and reselect ESP]).
Apart from that, I can send you one of my spare ZF 5ds-25-2's and swap out that horrible stuttgart 7 speeder for a simple 5 speed.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Pete

No idea if it will work but on the Citroen to reset the systems you press the button with the ignition off. then turn ignition on and continue to hold button for 3 secs. Worth a try some day!

Ian

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
If she wore some make up and combed her hair, she would scrub up O.K.
I'm sure she said F##k when the roll bar popped up. Sounds like she was as frustrated with the SLK's traction control as I am.
Pilots can turn off auto pilot but not in the SLK.:veryangry:
Thanks for posting the clip Paolo Ciao.

I don't know how similar they are, but I have a 2008 ML63 AMG and unfortunately, you can't turn it off using any of MB's many confusing panels, switches, and displays. I think a pair of cutting pliers might do it though!

Back