SouthernGT No6

Nick

If you leave your aircon dryer open like this ( and if it is sitting like this for longer), you can as well buy a new one. They tend to "dry" the air in your garage, thus using all there capacity for that. Reco is to keep them closed until you tie them in the system , which than should be closed and filled asap.

TOM

Nick

If you leave your aircon dryer open like this ( and if it is sitting like this for longer), you can as well buy a new one. They tend to "dry" the air in your garage, thus using all there capacity for that. Reco is to keep them closed until you tie them in the system , which than should be closed and filled asap.

TOM

Ooops.

Thanks Tom don't suppose there is an easy way of checking what damage I may have done.

True, as Tom says.
When my air con man crimped up some of the hoses he said the same thing. I removed the caps to get the right routes for the hoses.
They are cheap as chips from car builder solutions so get a new one just before gasing up.

True, as Tom says.
When my air con man crimped up some of the hoses he said the same thing. I removed the caps to get the right routes for the hoses.
They are cheap as chips from car builder solutions so get a new one just before gasing up.

Keith,

Thanks for that you made my day I was thinking :-

Attachments

• mario-balotelli-why-always-me.jpg
    mario-balotelli-why-always-me.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 517
Thanks for your honesty guys I was feeling a right plonker.

Makes perfect sense now hindsight is a wonderful thing. Wonder what you could use an old air con drier for.

Keith

How did you route your cables to the air con radiator.

Last edited:
Hi Nick, I wish I had a pound for every time I have made a mistake, I could build another 40 with the money.
This is nothing, I bet your do something similar in the future
" Just trying to cheer you up ".
I have routed the two hoses low in the front bay and slipped them between the bottom of the radiator and the chassis, It's tight as a ducks #### but they will go.
There not finalised yet , I will take some pictures when I can.
Watch out for the front nostril panel as it sits low at the front.

I have just removed the 2 L.P pumps and will be fitting 2 different ones just feel lucky you aint got that cost

I will take some pictures when I can.

Keith,

That would be great.

QUOTE=Keith Baker;354090]Hi Nick, I wish I had a pound for every time I have made a mistake, I could build another 40 with the money.
[/QUOTE]

Very kind but I don't believe a word of it unless you can build a 40 for a tenner. :)

Front lights done.

Attachments

• DSCF1036.jpg
    DSCF1036.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 493
  • DSCF1038.jpg
    DSCF1038.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 491
  • DSCF1039.jpg
    DSCF1039.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 593
Front clips ducts opened up and Southern GT supplied ducting attached.

Attachments

• DSCF1040.jpg
    DSCF1040.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 530
  • DSCF1044.jpg
    DSCF1044.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 513
  • DSCF1041.jpg
    DSCF1041.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 549
  • DSCF1043.jpg
    DSCF1043.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 506
Hi Nick, these vents you have opened up, where does the inlet air go to under the front deck ?

Hi Nick, these vents you have opened up, where does the inlet air go to under the front deck ?

Hi Keith,

The red arrow on the attached photo shows where the air comes out at the end of the SGT ducting, the front of the ducting is (the vent) is shown by the blue arrow.

I then intend ducting air into the dashboard vents when Mick found time to send me some photos on how to achieve this.

I believe Glen Mason has this setup on his car.

Attachments

• duct.jpg
    duct.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
I see, If the vents are open all the time would you not get a constant air flow in the cockpit of cold air, summer or winter or can you shut off the cockpit area.
Also I think I have a picture of the vents in Glens car.
When I get home I will have a look.

My 40 is at Micks now ..hold up with VOSA for IVA so what with painting afterwards as well I'm falling back on a conversion for one of my Ultimas. It's a Can Am converting to a fixed head GTR.
Need to keep my finger in.
Not a 5 minute job but a good project.
Planning on about a month for the work then repaint etc.

I see, If the vents are open all the time would you not get a constant air flow in the cockpit of cold air, summer or winter or can you shut off the cockpit area.
Also I think I have a picture of the vents in Glens car.
When I get home I will have a look..

The dashboard vents can close if this is not enough when I hopefully hit 70mph down the Mulsanne straight one day, I can put and extra "trap" in line somewhere.

My 40 is at Micks now ..hold up with VOSA for IVA so what with painting afterwards as well I'm falling back on a conversion for one of my Ultimas. It's a Can Am converting to a fixed head GTR.
Need to keep my finger in.
Not a 5 minute job but a good project.
Planning on about a month for the work then repaint etc.

Thanks for that Keith, how do you think that makes us mere mortals feel :( I started my build buy buying an my engine 5 years ago :eek:. Although of course I could have finished it as quickly as you I decided to go for the slowest Southern GT build, with the most mistakes and botch up record. I believe I have that one sown up ;)

Can't wait to see your car all done and dusted and coming up North so I can have a proper look :thumbsup:

Your doing just fine Nick, Remember the Hare and the Tortouse !
See I dont drink...Well not much
I dont smoke... never did
I have a love for most things engineered or with an engine.
A reasonably understanding wife... that's important.
And I'm probably older than most and dont throw things away hence I have a small stables.
I met a guy a few months ago who has 40-50 bikes and 16 cars
He knew a guy who had 400 ish bikes most with race history from 1920's onwards and about 30 + cars some ferraris.
So I'm just a mere mortal the same as most.

By the way I may cut those vents in before paint they look good and may serve a purpose

Fuel pump plumbing

Replica GT40 with replica aeroquip connectors :)

Attachments

• DSCF1158.jpg
    DSCF1158.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 606
  • DSCF1159.jpg
    DSCF1159.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 567
  • DSCF1160.jpg
    DSCF1160.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 525
Hi Nick, Long time no hear !
Is that your fuel system ?
That picture shows fuel pressure gauges, which is fine for ensuring suitable system pressure but I was told that the gauges can leak and if they do they spray fuel at full pressure which is not good.
So when pressures are checked, remove said gauges and plug off.
I will do that before it hits the road, just in case.
Also those are Facet pumps I believe, not a big flow rate if using a big H.P. engine.
Wouldn't want to fuel starve the engine at high speed / revs.

How's the 40 going ?

Hi Nick, Long time no hear !
Also those are Facet pumps I believe, not a big flow rate if using a big H.P. engine.
Wouldn't want to fuel starve the engine at high speed / revs.

How's the 40 going ?

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the advice, I was told they should be ok as I am running carbs and they are the red top ones, time will tell, perhaps they heard how slow I drive.

It's going slow, having seen the latest about yours I think you will like my number plate if the car ever gets finished :)

Wiring loom dashboard and door check straps added.

Attachments

• DSCF1468a.jpg
    DSCF1468a.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 658
  • DSCF1470a.jpg
    DSCF1470a.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 618
  • DSCF1471a.jpg
    DSCF1471a.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 592
  • DSCF1473a.jpg
    DSCF1473a.jpg