SouthernGT No8

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Tony,
How would you know what a shopping trolley handles like.......?
I certainly don't. They are the domain of blondes and the people who dance at the other end of the hall.
Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Nice Martin,
but are you sure that you can reach the brakes? I like the aluminium brake levers on each wheel, but they do seem a very long way from the cockpit, you could wear long pointy shoes though. :Dlol

Last edited:
Yesterday I took my current car to Ric Wood`s in Stockport near Manchester. As I had changed the carb some time ago and knew things could be improved it was time for a rolling road session. Cheap power it has been said to me. Well what a difference it has made to the car. Drive`s much better in traffic with no spluttering or hessitation and the difference in torque and power was definately noticable. Here are the before and after tables. The engine is stock apart from Edelbrock heads and inlet manifold.

Attachments

• IMG_5435.1 r wood.jpg
    IMG_5435.1 r wood.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 1,559
  • ric wood 1.1.jpg
    ric wood 1.1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,562
  • ric wood 2.1.jpg
    ric wood 2.1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,499

Mike Pass

Supporter
I can confirm that it was LOUD at full chat on the rollers with the door closed. My ears are still ringing! It also now spits little flames out of the exhausts on the overrun which I noticed as it flew past me on the motorway (at exactly the legal limit!). You can also learn a lot from chatting to people like Ric Wood who has campaigned a lot of different race cars over the years and has a business doing his own CNC heads and car prep and tuning.

Quick update on the SouthernGT chassis. Frank is beavering away frantically and now has the front suspension in position. Should have the rear all in place early next week. The roll cage has been looked at and it would appear that it will pass MSA rules for Hill Climbing and Sprints. Great news as the initial idea was purely as a personal want to make me feel happier driving the car compared to my current car with no roll cage. A few tweeks here and there should see it passed for racing also.

I recieved some pictures last night from Frank of the progress he has made with the suspension. Just mocked up at the moment. The chassis should be going for flame spraying and coating next week. Once thats done I hope to be getting my hands on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1243.1.jpg
    IMG_1243.1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,771
  • IMG_1247.1.jpg
    IMG_1247.1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,675
Wow, those shocks are going to be hard!

Seriously, nice looking build, bet you can't wait to get your hands on it.

Simon

Did some go karting years ago so I find it hard to cope with suspension hence the radical setup! The retractable second wheel set should make the tesco car park a breeze.

Martin.

Yeeh Haa!

Now things are really starting to move. Today Frank delivered the chassis for coating and the job was done in one day. Now how`s that for service? The chassis was blasted, flame sprayed twice and powder coated three times.

Now I find it increasingly difficult to get anyone too do anything these days, as probably many other forum members do, but I have to say up to now the level of service and professionalism shown by all involved has been second to non. Mick and his team in supplying the chassis, Frank and Geoff in the fitting of the suspension etc and the guys who have done the coating, oh and me of course for paying the bill!!!

My only hope is that I can do the rest of the build justice. Here are some pictures taken today.

Attachments

• IMG_1267.1.jpg
    IMG_1267.1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,388
  • IMG_1281.1.jpg
    IMG_1281.1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,336
  • IMG_1285.1.jpg
    IMG_1285.1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,435
  • IMG_1286.1.jpg
    IMG_1286.1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,402

Mike Pass

Supporter
Chassis looks superb. Like the roll cage. Should add some serious stffness to the chassis. Echo your sentiments re: the quality of work done by Mick Sollis and Frank. That metal spraying looks pretty toxic though! Looking forward to seeing in the flesh or should that be FLASH.
Cheers
Mike

Martin,
Thanks for taking the time to post great shots of the progress. Those photos of the flame spraying really captured the atmosphere; almost had me coughing in the fumes.

Keep up the building to this standard, and you'll have a quality car that will last forever.

Dalton

Not a stupid question as I didn`t know about this a month ago. Its for corrosion protection. Basically zinc rods are fed through a gun with a flame which melts the zinc which then gets sprayed onto the metal surface. GTD chassis were done origionally and all I can say is that my 1990 chassis is corrosion free.
Martin

Flame spraying is a method of coating ferrous and cast iron metals in an inert non ferrous coat of pure metal, not paint, usually either Zinc or Aluminium.
If you look carefully in the rear of the booth you will see a open reel carrying the zinc wire, which is fed into the spray gun, melted by the propane flame, and blasted onto the surface by compressed air. This means that the spray gun has connections for compressed air, electrical feed to the wire feed motor, propane gas for the heat, and of course the wire feed itself. This is quite a handfull for the poor guy in full protective gear, and very heavy, and when I took these photographs he was on his second coating after 2 hours and was just about exhausted. All of the early GTDs were coated in this method, and all have withstood years of use with little or no coating loss or corrosion, its a very effective solution, but not many shops carry this type of operation out, and I am lucky to have one within walking distance. Powder coating or paint can then be applied for finish. Frank

Latest news is that I am off to pick up the chassis from Frank this week wednesday or thursday all being well. Here are some pictures now its a rolling chassis.

Attachments

• IMG_1299.1.jpg
    IMG_1299.1.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 1,492
  • IMG_1301.1.jpg
    IMG_1301.1.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 1,541
  • IMG_1302.1.jpg
    IMG_1302.1.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 1,432
Hi Martin

must say that's looking very nice, I suspect you will have a winner on your hands there.

regards

Chris.

Back