SouthernGT No8

you learn something EVERY DAY, thanks for the answear Martin and Frank !

as for you ms. Martin, that is one good looking piece of work !

but the shock shure look "stiff" to me :D

frank can you post a picture of the steering rack made from the side
so you can see the position of the rack opposed to the position of the wheels

Well the chassis is finally at home and now ready for me to get cracking on it. Hell of a long day yesterday driving to the south coast and back but a rewarding non the less. First picture of me with Frank and Geoff and the second is with Mick after a quick drive over to Southampton to pick up a few bits and bobs.

Attachments

• IMG_5591.1.jpg
    IMG_5591.1.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 1,705
  • IMG_5595.1.jpg
    IMG_5595.1.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 1,678
Made a start today by trial fiiting the bottom panels and drilling all the holes ready for rivetting. Holley the cat turned up after all the work had been done(typical woman) to cast a critical eye.

Attachments

• IMG_5630.1.jpg
    IMG_5630.1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 2,458
  • IMG_5625.1.jpg
    IMG_5625.1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,594

Keith

Can't quite see everything properly in those photos Martin but that's the best looking GT40 spaceframe I've yet seen....

PS the cat is well cool as well.......:coolgleam:

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Martin, that is one sharp looking chassis. I especially like the fact that you are conscious of the environment and are building the car with the "Fred Flintstone" option of power. :)

Gregg.
I like to do my bit for the enviroment. I thought about fitting a toyota prius engine setup but when I did the calculations it became evident that another coal fired power station would need to be built to charge the batteries so I have decided to keep it simple and help the government tax coffers by fitting a fuel eating 420 bhp 302 V8 with fuel injection!

Martin

Bill
Sorry I wasn`t ignoring you but somehow my reply got posted out of order. Ordered a load of rivets today and bought some bits to put the floor pan in place.

Martin.

Since getting the chassis home work has come to a grinding holt due to being fussy about what rivets I,m using on the floor pan and having great trouble getting a supply them. I will be using rivets called BE61 that are used in proper race cars. They should turn up next week so I can get cracking. I have taken delivery of an engine though which should turn out about 420bhp using fuel injection.

Martin,

What ever rivet you end up using make sure it is of a similar material spec to the sheet - not the chassis. For example; do not use a steel pop as they will eat into the sheet and then be a pain to drill out. After all, the sheet is only a cladding and not really a stressed part of the structure. I am using a blind end aluminium 5/32" rivet from Prifast - good service too.

Graham
I have gone with a stainless steel floor panel and the rivets are also stainless so hopefully their should be no problem. The rivets arrived today so I now have no excuses not to start the build.

Regards Martin.

Graham
I learnt the lesson of buying an air rivetter the hard way by trapping my index finger nail between the handles setting a rivet. I spent a sleepless night until I gave up at 3am and drilled two 1.5mm holes in the nail to relieve the blood and pressure under the nail. Now the nail has fallen off.

Regards Martin

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Graham
I learnt the lesson of buying an air rivetter the hard way by trapping my index finger nail between the handles setting a rivet. I spent a sleepless night until I gave up at 3am and drilled two 1.5mm holes in the nail to relieve the blood and pressure under the nail. Now the nail has fallen off.

Regards Martin

I hate it when that happens!!! :eek: :mad: :eek:

One of my favorite old sayings;

Nothing hurts quite like pain...

That said - Hand pulling a thousand or so Stainless Steel rivets will give you the grip of Samson, but it's certainly no fun...
One of the reasons I used to rationalize the purchase of an air-riveter is that I have a lot better control of the riveter when it "Pops!" the rivet - having scared a very nice panel on a customer car once a number of years ago and caused myself a number of hours additional labor.. I've not looked back..

Martin,

I sympathise whole heartedly (if that's how you spell it). It's a weird sensation isn't it, a mixture of extreme pain and "I don't believe I just did that"!
Look forward to seeing your car finished. Any ideas when you hope to turn the key?

Hi Graham
I,m waiting for the body to turn up before I put the bottom on the car as I want to make a strip to fit to the bottom panel each side
which will hold the sills in place instead of using screws. It may work I,m not sure until I get the sills to put in place.
How is your build going Graham? Do you have any pictures you could post?I,m also interested it what you did to insulate the water pipes that run through the tunnel.

Regards Martin.

Hi Martin,

On my belly skin I have drilled about twenty 1 1/2" holes to help this area breath as much as possible. In the top of the tunnel above the pipes I am putting sticky backed insulating foam with metallic type surface nearest the pipe surface. The general build process has been very slow because the house is taking priority which is now nearing completion. I knew the first year would be slow and pace will pick up soon.

I will take some photos soon to post.

Back