SPF p2348

Steve

Supporter
A little mockup of the bundle of snakes...........unfortunately, it all comes off as I tested the throwout bearing today and the clutch doesn't engage. Not sure what's going on. With the car in neutral, the rear wheels spin freely. With the car in gear the wheels are engaged, but push the clutch in and they're still engaged. I measured and checked the throwout multiple times, thought it was set and thought I checked it once installed. Regardless, it's not working now so everything comes off.

I'm seriously considering an external slave. I hear mixed reviews on the longevity of the internal slaves and I don't relish doing this again in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 644

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Steve
A little mockup of the bundle of snakes...........unfortunately, it all comes off as I tested the throwout bearing today and the clutch doesn't engage. Not sure what's going on. With the car in neutral, the rear wheels spin freely. With the car in gear the wheels are engaged, but push the clutch in and they're still engaged. I measured and checked the throwout multiple times, thought it was set and thought I checked it once installed. Regardless, it's not working now so everything comes off.

I'm seriously considering an external slave. I hear mixed reviews on the longevity of the internal slaves and I don't relish doing this again in the future.

Steve,
I am not a fan of the internal slaves, we have seen too many fail and as you know it is a job to replace them. Had one with less than 6 hours on it fail in Fran's SPF GT roadster at SAAC in Indy two years ago. I was riding shotgun with Paul and as he came down the front straight and went to downshift, we had a box full of nothing. At least with the external you could replace it on site or even barn a replacement in to work.

Steve

Supporter
Well, I just dropped the car off the jack stands and had my 13yo step on the clutch and I can roll the car, must have just been the resistance of the internals when I tried to roll the one rear tire on the stands. For sure when this throwout craps out, I'm going external. The #7 header rubs on the back of the valve cover just enough that I think it keeps it from seating fully, might have to pull out the die grinder and take off a mm or 2. The collectors go on pretty easy and the headers are finger tight, so I think they're ready.

Steve

Supporter
A trial fitting of the oil cooler. Pretty tight with the primer in there. It nearly rubs on the box on the side of the transaxle. I'm trying to leave a 1/2cm of space there so the vibration from the transaxle doesn't affect it.

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 574

Steve

Supporter
After the header trial, it became clear that I wouldn't be able to remove the spark plugs with the headers in place. Took the die grinder to each header. Ultimately, the space between #7 and the valve cover is still tight and I can't remove any more from the valve cover. Probably a sixteenth at the most. Not much room for expansion. Tried to take a dead blow hammer to the header to put a slight dent in it. No luck. Will take it to a custom exhaust shop nearby.....

Attachments

• IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 494

Steve

Supporter
Grinding is done and I can get a standard socket in there. Truthfully, I don't think the plug would have come out and a socket absolutely wouldn't slide down it. It's likely related to the aluminum heads I have (Dart CNC) I'm getting a Sealey thin ratchet as well. There's not a lot of space in there to attach a standard 3/8 inch ratchet to the spark plug socket.

I bought a socket made for a lawn mower , made from sheet metal its a lot thinner . I think it was .98 cents and works well on my 289 drivers side rear plug.

Steve

Supporter
Primed it first for 20-30 sec. Results in about 40psi of pressure. Then started. Initially no oil pressure! Thought maybe the gauge was sticking but after 20 sec shut it down. Sure enough, I had two of the oil lines crossed. Corrected that and now oil pressure hums at 60psi at idle.

Steve

Supporter
Have a very slow coolant leak around one of the flexible stainless coolant lines. Will need to work on that, but otherwise seems to run well and start easily. Punchlist is getting pretty short. Of course, in MN we'll have snow in a week or two......

Back