Spot the car...

Mike Pass

Supporter
A few pics from the recent Oulton park Gold Cup meeting.
Question is :- Can you identify the 3 cars - one easy, one medium and the one of the odd front suspension very hard!
PS. I did notice the loose bolt.

Attachments

• Tube o rama.jpg
    Tube o rama.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 357
  • What is that?.jpg
    What is that?.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 391
  • Wierd front susp.jpg
    Wierd front susp.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 400

Keith

OK I'll play but I'm hopeless at these things really.

A1. Something to keep your parrot in beginning with 'M' ?

A2. Boss daughter's first name initial beginning with 'E' ?

A3. God only knows! Weird is right.... But perhaps a Formula car begining
with 5?

Mike Pass

Supporter
Maserati Birdcage is right. This example is owned by the Minshaws of Demon Tweeks fame.

A couple of clues on the others - they are both from small english race car or sports car makers. One is a new one and one does back to the sixties - both are still in business.
Cheers
Mike

Keith

Very good call Rick, I would say it's the Chevron GR8 but would have to say if it is, it's a shame they used that moniker, as that name will always belong to Gulf Racing, John Wyer and John Horsman and their Le Mans winning GR8 (nee Mirage).

Still it's a nice looking piece I've only ever seen one from the front and it looks even better from the back (if indeed it is one).

Cosworth what?

Mike Pass

Supporter
Better view from the front this time.
Just the hard one to get now. Painted in Gulf colours. Very rare. Makers were brothers.....
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Chevron GR8.jpg
    Chevron GR8.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 253

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Actually, Doug is Bill's son. I have known them for 40 years. I last saw Bill at the Watkins Glen Motor Racing Library a year ago this past weekend. He was talking about his book, the autobiography, not the Race Car Dynamics one (I checked that out of the library once, looked at all the pictures, and when I saw the formulas and charts returned it.....WAY over my head).

I had the pleasure of visiting their home many years ago and seeing the suspension test single seater in the flesh as well as pictures of it running with some very interesting geometries! Brilliant people and nice too.

I guessed the birdcage, was wrong on the second. That suspension upsets me. Theoretically workable if strength OK, but it is too leveraged away from the pivots for my liking; doesn't fundamentally follow a simple, logical positioning.

Rick - I envy the chances in life to meet people of that stature. They have contributed so much to the field of automobiles. I have that book myself - bought it over 10 years ago.

Thanks for correcting me - for some reason I have always thought they were brothers.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick - I envy the chances in life to meet people of that stature. They have contributed so much to the field of automobiles. I have that book myself - bought it over 10 years ago.

Thanks for correcting me - for some reason I have always thought they were brothers.

Just dumb luck, they live in the area and Doug (Bugs Dillikan was his nickname to some) was a friend of a friend of mine.

I didn't understand when I was younger what Bill had done nor the level of expertise. Of course, that Bill was Clerk of the Course at Watkins and could get me into the track and allow me to get Jimmy Clark's autograph WAS a bonus. Google "Milliken's corner" at Watkins Glen for more info.

Mike Pass

Supporter
I guess no one is going to get the last one.

The answer is that it is a Ginetta G16 and is the Ginetta built opponent of the Chevron B6/B8. It went very well against the Chevrons in the race and at the time was ahead in the championship. The front suspension is very unusual and I have never seen anything like it before. Why the rear pivot is not the other side of the strut as normal I don't know but the Walklett brothers did things their own way.
We used to run a Ginetta G4 in Modsports in the early seventies and we were told at the time that they designed their cars by drawing chalk lines on the garage floor and then built up from there. The car was however very quick as it weighed less than 900lbs and had a Cosworth MAE screamer engine stroked out to 1,150cc (the class limit) - 132bhp and 10,000rpm.
Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

The Ginetta G12 ran against the Chevron B6/B8 the G16 was design to run with the Chevron B16 and Lotus 45 which it did fairly well.
The G16 front suspension triangulation is not that difficult to understand when one considers that the biggest single force are the brakes and to minemise front wheel tracking under braking they put two top triangulation points equaldistance to the steering rack.

Ex mechanic to Ian Tee's G16

Roel Hellemans

Back