Stephan's SLC Build Log

Nice workmanship on your brackets. The top factory brackets didn't work for me either but I ended up making new ones out of steel - my ability to weld aluminum is not well developed yet, so I still fall back to what I am comfortable with. After seeing your craftsmanship, I may need to rethink.

Stephan E.

Supporter
Hello Mike,

Thank you for reaching out. I totally understand and I had times when I did the same thing. It was a learning curve for me and still is. What became important to me was not to get impatient and not to cut corners. I rather wait or start somewhere else on the car if tools, material, skills or funding are becoming a factor. There is stuff I keep my hands away from, especially welds on structural or critical components as well as if there is a risk that I screw up a part that is expensive or cannot be replaced. I go to professionals who are doing this every day.

Stephan E.

Supporter
My engine getting ready to ship. I am glad it comes with a drool protection plastic cover.

It will be interesting to make this one fit...Stay tuned!
Engine_1.jpg
Engine_3.jpg

Last edited:
That there must be a beautiful Mercury Marine 4 Cam LS, if that had been around been around when I started....

The engine is about 2 inches longer up front if I remember, it will be interesting to follow how you account for that. One thing I'd strongly suggest is a remote electric waterpump.

What is the red line on that jewel?

Joel K

Supporter
Nice choice Stephan, I think a high rev-ing OHC V8 will go great with the SLC and Graziano. You’re lucky being in PA that you don’t have to pass emissions. My engine choices will be much more limited.

Stephan E.

Supporter
Thanks guys for the comments,

It was an emotional decision to deviate from the known LS world but someone has to do it and be amongst the first. So far I had good support from Mercury and I have spoken to several people there who have provided me with detailed drawings, manuals etc. Also the reseller "The Roadster Shop" in Illinois and "Speedkore" in Wisconsin having their fair share on my decision making. We are currently crossing the bridges on updated documentation.

The PR drums have rolled for some times, especially at SEMA last year but for those who are not so familiar with the Mercury Racing SB4 engines, here are some data.

The engine is LS7 based but modified to withstand the riggers of higher compression and harmonics at high RPM. The block does not use the main oil galley but uses external oil routing and returns. Mercury stated that the oil galleys are too small to handle the oil flow required at 8000 RPM for this application. I also learned that they do pound the engines for hours and hours on the dyno and development work stretched over several years. The quality control over there is pretty tough. The heads using external return oil passages which is actually nice because when I convert to dry sump the returns will go right into two scavenge sections of the pump. I have yet to figure out if what is left of the internal routing and if it was given priority oiling to the crank. The engine is longer than a LS7 due to the belt timing in the front and heavier due to the larger heads and four cams. Also the heads are very wide and the exhaust ports angles and height are altered to an LS setup while using an LS style flange, it will require custom headers to be fabricated until proven otherwise. Mercury is referring to a "mild cam setup" which is exceeding airflow of that of an aggressive 0.7"+ cam on a ported pushrod engine with mannered driveability across the entire RPM band. The intake and exhaust ports are as cast and not ported or polished on the SB4 which leaves a lot of room for imagination on what that engine is actually capable of when lets say "cared for"...The valves are shorter, much lighter and larger in all over intake and exhaust size than of what we are all used to in the LS world. Stock valve sizes are 2 x 1.7" Intake and 2 x 1.4" exhaust compared to max. of one each 2.21" and 1.61" on a pushrod LS. Arranged now side by side inside the heads with short and very large intake and exhaust runners. Injectors are underneath the intake on the short side which is good for a very low profile and hood clearance. Inertia are Callies Dragonslayer crank custom for Mercury (I am assuming with lighter counterweights), Carrillo Billet H-Beam rods, Mahle custom forged pistons, high volume oil pump and all the proprietary Mercury stuff. Compression 11.7:1 with a fuel cutoff at 8000 RPM on pumped gas. HP curve goes flat at 7500 RPM at 750 HP and the torque curve a little earlier. The two throttle bodies give an idea about what the appetite of an SB4 looks like on atmospheric pressure. If I would would be an Oxygene Molecule, that is the way to go. I had to remove my original fuel system and redesign it for the size of fire hoses to meet flow requirements...

Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
I was able to get some more pictures from the reseller showing a little more detail before they put such a motor inside a box. Other pictures of the SB4 are from Mercury or SEMA. That is not my engine but that is how they look like.
SB4 Cam Timing.jpg
Intake runner Mercury DOHC.jpg
SB4 Shipping.jpg
SB4 Shipping-2.jpg
SB4 Dyno Testing.jpg

Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
Hi Dan,

It is certainly is a handfull. I have looked before the purchase into some dimensional drawings from Mercury and from what we measured, the heads will clear the side rails by 4mm each side but the rear cross brace needs to be completely redesigned. If it doesn't fit the SLC will see chassis alterations.:toilet:

Stephan E.

Supporter
I had a care package at my front door today. It got here all the way from Wisconsin without a hick. As requested by Howard a few pictures with no clothes on. More to come...
Engine_4.jpg
Engine_5.jpg
Engine_6.jpg
Engine_7.jpg
Engine_8.jpg

Last edited:

Roger Reid

Supporter
Wow. Nice. I looked at that engine before ordering my 400. I didn't have the cash for such a nice engine. I'm jealous.:thumbsup:

Stephan E.

Supporter
That is one big engine...and the challenge on how the heck to fit 10 pounds of something into a 5 pound bag. In this case it was an addition of 3 inches in length which had to be dealt without sacrificing the safety of having the crossbeam behind my back the, major chassis modifications etc. I looked into shifting the entire package back and the drive shafts would have done it actually. I dumped that idea due to unfavorable weight distribution.
Engine_9.jpg
Engine_10.jpg
Engine_11.jpg

Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
A solution presented itself and I was able to reduce the length of more of what I needed by saying good-by to my stock water pump. I also cut the timing belt covers in order to remove them for servicing the water connections, belt tensions and replacement. The whole drive belt is now reduced to the A/C compressor and alternator.
Engine_12.jpg
Engine_13.jpg

Last edited:

Stephan E.

Supporter
Thank you Joel!

Swing by my house and take a peek. It looks way bigger in reality

Here are some pictures of how this looks like when installed. The Holley oil pan is clearing the engine mounts by a hair. I drilled some relief holes for the 100mm long water connection flange bolts in order to work on it without removing the engine. Those will be plugged when not needed.
Engine_14.jpg
Engine_15.jpg

Last edited:

Joel K

Supporter
Thank you Joel!

Swing by my house and take a peek. It looks way bigger in reality

Here are some pictures of how this looks like when installed. The Holley oil pan is clearing the engine mounts by a hair. I drilled some relief holes for the 100mm long water connection flange bolts in order to work on it without removing the engine. Those will be plugged when not needed.

Hi Stephan, I’ll give you a call during the week and see what time/day works.

Thanks,

Joel

Back