Such a thing as too much power?

Too much power comes down to driving ability , and an understanding of how to use it .
Case in point ..
A friend of mine has a machine shop and was supporting a dozen or so front running cars at the local tracks .
Then he bought an engine dyno , and found out his winning combination only made 230 hp , and set about tinkering with timing , mixtures , and what ever else to make more power within the rules until the hp had nearly doubled .
ALL the cars slowed down on the track , and he instantly lost over half of the teams .
He visited the track to see what had happened , and saw lots of tire smoke out of the turns , then he helped push one of the cars in the pits , and found it would barely roll because the suspension was in such a bind . When he inquired as to why this was , he was told the car had become very loose .
He knew it was the additional power , and when back to the original set up and the cars started winning again .
Take from that what you will , but I'd want the extra power , and learn to make corrections with my right foot !

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Frank good comments, that is why I enjoy watching motor races in the rain,
the good drivers have car control and that includes their right foot.

Too much power comes down to driving ability , and an understanding of how to use it .

Take from that what you will , but I'd want the extra power , and learn to make corrections with my right foot !

It is something that many drivers do not seem to have the gray matter to understand...when you have an abundance of power the car will start to go faster if you lift off the gas a bit.... also if your drifting through a long sweeper in third gear with your foot right up it... try shifting up a gear & use the throttle as well as the steering wheel to 'feel' for traction ... can be a bit unnerving at first, but once you get over that you will find the corner speeds come up and surprise surprise, a couple less gearshifts per lap mean your going fwd--not sideways, might be pain not to get your photo in the magazines so often, but you might actually find yourself a bit higher up the finishing order..:)

Mike Pass

Supporter
A tyre only has so much grip - if you use too much of it in pushing the car forward (eg. with a mega motor )there is less sideways force vector available and the driven tyres slip sideways and if rwd the car will power oversteer. More power - more oversteer. A sensitive right foot is the way but a less aggressive motor will be easier to balance on the throttle.
Cheers
Mike

Can you have too much power?

Of course!

If I strapped an Atlas rocket to my a$$ and sat on a skateboard, I'd have too much power. But beyond that, it all depends on the chassis and the driver.

My Kirkham had a bit over 500 bhp...not enough! Even on the street I could have used more. On the track, I absolutely could have used more. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have made better use of what I had with some driving lessons, but short of breaking traction at will in 4th gear...

If you're satisfied with 400 bhp, great, it probably suits your needs and driving style. Just don't go on and on about the genital size of those who want and can use more, it makes us feel inadequate.:lipsrsealed:

My take is that it's YOUR toy, so do whatever you wish with it, and enjoy it!
For my street SL-C, it will be around 430HP which should be exciting enough for me.

I was on the Corvette Forum and there was a question about power in the vette vs. the Mustang. They were, of course, beating up the Mustang and saying, do the math.

Well, let's see. My Corvette pretty much stock with 425 hp, 3200 lbs and running 305's in R compound.

My FR500S Mustang factory race car is 325 hp, 3700 lbs and running 245's in R compound.

Mustang is about 7 seconds faster

I said, you do the math.

I was on the Corvette Forum and there was a question about power in the vette vs. the Mustang. They were, of course, beating up the Mustang and saying, do the math.

Well, let's see. My Corvette pretty much stock with 425 hp, 3200 lbs and running 305's in R compound.

My FR500S Mustang factory race car is 325 hp, 3700 lbs and running 245's in R compound.

Mustang is about 7 seconds faster

I said, you do the math.

I think you have proven a good point, a properly optomized car will take advantage of every pony at its disposal. Even if it is fewer of them to play with.

Quote" At Watkins Glen 1969 Denis Hulme cut 2.62 seconds off the race lap record, set by a Formula One car "

What horsepower was required to do this ?

Quote " The Mclaren M8B are powered by 427 Chevrolet engines. They develop 625 hp at 7,000 rpm, and 570 lbs/ft of torque. "

Quote from ; Mechanix Illustrated , November 1969 , page 29. a Gulf add.

To me it gives a little bit of perspective.

Z.C.

Porsche and Lotus have shown for many years (on track) that less power and a lot less weight is better than more power and more weight - faster, more controllable/nimble, and often more reliable. It's also a lot more fun to drive a lighter, livelier car than a more powerful and heavier car...most of the time.

And, besides, as others have pointed out, not everyone getting behind the wheel can handle that much power. Fine to go ahead and kill yourself....but don't cause an accident that threatens the lives of others....

Back