Superlite Coupe Race Debut

Track record first day at the track...2 times over...got to love it.

Congrats to Fran, Ryan, and all involved in making it happen. This is only going to heighten RCR and the SLC's profile. Race on Sunday, sell on Monday. Your time in Detroit has served you well! :)

I wonder how long it will be before the sanctioning body's politicos legislate the SLC to try and level the playing field in response to complaints from other racers?

***just saw the video. It looks incredible in motion. I bought the right car! Not that I needed confirmation on that. :D

Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Thanks for the video link Tim,
way cool to see my creation on track

SU is a pretty wide open class...run what you brung kind of deal....

We are only running an LS3 and a Porsche transaxle.....not some monster engine and flat shift trans ...in reality many of the AIX cars have way more power/tyre than the SL-C does .

The goal of the SL-C is to enable racers to have a competitive, safe, reliable and maintainable car without breaking the bank.

Last edited:
I wonder how long it will be before the sanctioning body's politicos legislate the SLC to try and level the playing field in response to complaints from other racers?

It's already happened. In addition to Super Unlimited, The SLC is also eligible for racing in the HP/weight classes in NASA, but began the year with a penalty higher than any other car.

The exact politics are unclear, but the result isn't- some people thought it needed a little more weight or less power right out of the box to try to balance the performance compared to the rest of the cars in the class. :shocked:

That's one reason to run in Super Unlimited, where there are no artificial HP or weight restrictions. But it also means the SLC could be competing with sports racers, old CanAM cars, Bill Adam in his Audi R8, or anything else with fenders that shows up to run in SU. That's a challenge, but an interesting one.

I'm with Roberto on this....I found myself beaming with pride as I watched the SLC crest the hill in the lead (thinking to myself ... 'I have one of those'!)....we are all just little boys inside :) I liked that you could hear the sound of the engine long before the green machine crested the hill. Kind of like it was coming down Mulsanne at Lemans or something.

Ok .... now this little kid is getting carried away :)

Last edited:
Sounds like Ultima owners better start keeping an eye on their mirrors because to me, that is the real competition, not some production based Porsches.

After the car gets sorted and you get that lost power back, a trip to Nurbergring for a sub 7-second lap may be in order. Be sure to invite Craig and some Ultima owners from PH ;)

I think the porsche box has better race gearing....the ricardo is a bit tall for track only use.
Depends on the variant, but yes, the Ricardo does have overall taller gearing.. That said, the Ricardo has a taller first gear which is more desirable for road racing.

Why a Porsche transaxle (and which G50 variant) and not the Ricardo?

The transaxle is a G97/50, from the current 997.2 turbo. It was chosen because it has appropriate gearing, and was very strong. It was converted from AWD to 2WD.

The Ricardo is much stronger, but the race SLC isn't running 1000 HP and it weighs 50 lbs more at the wrong end of the car. But mostly because the gearing is not optimal for sprint races. If there were different gearing options, it would have been a real contender. For street use, though, the Ricardo gearing is perfect, IMO.

The transaxle is a G97/50, from the current 997.2 turbo. It was chosen because it has appropriate gearing, and was very strong. It was converted from AWD to 2WD.

The Ricardo is much stronger, but the race SLC isn't running 1000 HP and it weighs 50 lbs more at the wrong end of the car. But mostly because the gearing is not optimal for sprint races. If there were different gearing options, it would have been a real contender. For street use, though, the Ricardo gearing is perfect, IMO.

Totally agree on all points. I owned the g97/50 (mainly because I was told it had different gearing before I bought it). It would not have been a good match to my largish cube LS motor. I'm happy I went with the Ricardo even with the 50lb weight penalty.

Pathfinder Motorsports

Sponsoring Vendor
Congratulations on the very impressive debut. You've got a lot to be proud of.

Could you tell us your Fastest lap time at Summit Point? It's a great track and one I've driven many times years ago.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Thanks...

1 min 15 sec. ave 94 mph....with lots left in the car.

Some of the locals said the track was slick and slow during the weekend too....

I am just happy we got some great feedback from our driver running the car and some good data off the datalogger...the rest was icing on the cake..

Last edited:
Holy crap!!! Right out of the gates and you're posting new lap records... Simply amazing. It truly shows how great these cars are engineered.

Congrats to the whole team. Keep up the great work. I wish I could be there to chear you guys on.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Thanks Justin...

One thing I forgot to mention about the engine in the race car is that it runs on 93 octane pump gas too.....only 11:1 compression....I am looking forward to getting the race engine back in place....also 93 oct 11:1 but with better heads.

Back