T&L Engines Quality Control??? - BEWARE!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Re: T&L engines Quality control???

Lloyd knows I will be showing up Friday PM to witness the dyno run and has confirmed today it will be ready. I dont believe he would have me travel 700 miles to see nothing. If that happens I'll have plenty to add to this topic.

:D Maybe I should have done that!

Guys,

Just got back from T&L. Everything went great. Engine sounds strong and ran well on the dyno. 442.5 HP/435 ft. lbs Torque. All the folks at T & L were very nice and took the time to show me around. Engine is ready for delivery at 8 weeks as promised. Lloyd did say that his supplier for the standard rocker arms has had some issues with the bearing press after the rocker arm heats up. He had already upgraded my engine to Scorpions due to this issue. He also said the comp cams rockers are available. He also reiterated that all cobra and GT40 guys get 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty just to show he stands behind every engine he builds. He has been around awhile and by the looks of his operation will be around for quite awhile yet. I would buy from him again. He does admit they have some issues with getting engines done on time but he states that he will not let that impact quality. He would rather deliver late and get you what you expected than to rush and deliver an engine with problems. Lloyd just dont set around in an office and tell everybody what to do he is out there in the mddle of the operation. His guys told me while I was there if I had any questions I better grab Lloyd when I see him because he doesn't stand still for long.

I guess it goes back to the old adage.....good, fast and cheap....pick two.:D

Good for you Mike.

Fran - have you heard back from Lloyd yet or has he been too busy give Mike special attention ? ;)

Simon,

Hope the best for you and that it works out for you as good as it did for me. Wish I had asked you what you needed to know. I could have asked while I was there.

All of that special attention has given me a big head.:rolleyes::D

Mike

I am sorry to sign on to this forum and vent. I found this forum doing a search of information on T&L engines. One of your members here was kind enough to return a phone call to me regarding T&L engines and I will not name them unless I have permission.

It seems as though they run a business where you give them large sums of money way in advance and are not allowed the courtesy of a phone call.
Some of us that purchase engines do way in advance of our race seasons.
This is what we do for fun. Away from the stress of our daily lives.

I would love to come on this forum and say that my experience with T&L engines has been a good one and I will certainly change my tune if I am extended the courtesy of a phone call.
As of now I am approaching my racing season and a month overdue on my engine. Loyd has $4600. of my dollars and can't get him to simply return a phone call.
I'll leave it right here for now.

EDIT:
The person who I am very honored to speak with, one of your members here was Fran Hall. What a kind thing to do helping out a complete stranger on this.
He said I could mention his name.
As I am in Seattle Washington and 3000 miles from Loyds shop I began to panic after reading everything regarding T&L engines on the forums.
Hence my vent above.
I would like to reserve comment on this till I talk to Loyd and find out the status of my engine.
Thank you to a very good man Fran Hall for helping me on this.

Last edited:

Dan,

thank you...

I speak as I find and Lloyd has been good to deal with from my persective.

I spoke with him at length today about supply and demand..

He was quick to acknowledge he has been overwhelmed by the response to his engine packages.

I know of Lloyd from the racing world and at their peak Tand L was supporting many Busch and Nascar programmes...he knows how to work under pressure.

He informed me of the backorder delay in Comp cams rockers and now has them available and has started sending them out to customers in need.

The two engines that we have on order will be shipped within the week ..

I know how hard it is to keep everyone happy and situations do arise that need a little extra care...Lloyd was also quick to apologise for his delays.

He is proud to be associated with our merry group of GT40 nuts so I have a feeling he will be trying hard to make us all happy...

Last edited:

Chuck

Supporter

Lloyd promised the new Comp Rocker Arms in mid March. They came today. Credit where credit is due!! Lloyd has stood behind his product and delivered as promised.

Attachments

• RockerArmBox.JPG
    RockerArmBox.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 533

Chuck, I too want to thank Loyd. I started this tread to give aheads up, and it turned into alot of trouble for Loyd. He has really stood behind his product and is making good. He really values our buisness.
Randy

Chuck, I too want to thank Loyd. I started this tread to give aheads up, and it turned into alot of trouble for Loyd. He has really stood behind his product and is making good. He really values our buisness.
Randy

I spoke with Loyd today. Im flying to North Carolina next week.
If Loyd gives me permission I will share a few pictures with everyone here.

Can't wait to check in on my new motor.

:pepper:

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter

Randy

I don't see how you starting this thread "turned into a lot of trouble for Lloyd". Let's face the facts here, very poor communication, exceeding longer than quoted delivery times etc. are things that everyone has a right to know and because of these threads and other forum threads it's making Lloyd see the light. It's not trouble for Lloyd, it's just something he needs to do to run a business correctly and hopefully it results in less trouble to all of his customers.

Ron Earp

Admin

I don't see how you starting this thread "turned into a lot of trouble for Lloyd". Let's face the facts here, very poor communication, exceeding longer than quoted delivery times etc. are things that everyone has a right to know and because of these threads and other forum threads it's making Lloyd see the light. It's not trouble for Lloyd, it's just something he needs to do to run a business correctly and hopefully it results in less trouble to all of his customers.

100% correct. The forum needs more transparency with issues like this if the forum is to be of use to members. Sure, it might make a lot of trouble for one person, Lloyd, but it might be a relief of trouble for many people - the customers.

Ron

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

Great comment Ron

I have said many times I think Lloyd builds a good motor and HAVE NEVER COMPLAINED ABOUT THE PRODUCT, I think that if he brushed up on the front office communications and just spit out the truth he would not be under fire at all.

I am 53 years old had 4 years in the military, 3 years working for someone else, the rest of the time I have been in business for myself in one shape or another, I have a Doctor's degree in dealing with people from the school of hard knocks :), these issues that we have discussed should be positive for Lloyd and he can expand from that and it's good for us as a group to be informed but do not want to put false information regarding craftsmanship that would hurt this man and his company. He delivered what I ordered but not the time frame stated. By looking at my motor they put a lot of quality time in porting and assembly, this itself is an attribute to him, the ironic part is all of this takes time and 8 weeks is a short order for that type of craftsmanship when in a production mode.

100% correct. The forum needs more transparency with issues like this if the forum is to be of use to members. Sure, it might make a lot of trouble for one person, Lloyd, but it might be a relief of trouble for many people - the customers.

Ron

I cannot tell you how thankful I am to have found this forum.
Yes I am flying across the entire country this week to see my motor. But without Fran Hall and this forum I would be freaking out right now.
The information I found here was invaluable to keeping my sanity on my motor purchase with Loyd and I am looking forward to reporting back good things to you all about his operation.
Thank you one and all.

Yep, Fran's a rare bloke alright. And as for this forum, i don't think i could possibly contemplate a project like this without it.
Good luck with your visit.

Greetings,
I have been waiting to see what Lloyd was going to do with my misaligned rocker arms. He wants me to pay and fix his problem. Said to change to the SS Comp Cams rocker arms is an upgrade, and would cost me $159.00. Great Warranty!!!
After seeing the problems others were having, I pulled the valve covers, and there were the pretty red pro comp rockers, and there also was a rocker arm half off the valve stem. I contacted lloyd, and he said to send him some pictures. I did this. Then never heard a thing back from him. So I told him I would do the work, if he would supply the rockers. This is when he offered to sell them to me!! I have not ran this engine yet. I do know that if left like it is, it will ruin the valve guides, and or the valve stem,. If the rocker comes off the valve, it will ruin a lot more than that. Now, the free labor offer is off the table, and he needs to get this fixed, at his expense. I have gone through hell getting this engine, not to mention 8700.00.
Withthe total lack of customer support from T&L, I would not do business with them again, and recommend others to find someone else. The savings is imaginary, as the problems are many, and the warranty is crap. Better to get your engine from a local shop. then you can go
see them in person if there is a problem.

I would just go with keith craft or George Gessford and be done with it. Why subject yourself to this crap. (speaking to new buyers of course)

Back