T&L Engines Quality Control??? - BEWARE!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Re: T&L engines Quality control???

They hardly ever respond to emails unless it involves money. I use to get a hold of him at 7-730 am in the morning. I just put over 1000 miles on my car, 625 of it in one day and not a hick up yet. I do think he has a good build but slow at getting it done.

Jim Dewar

Supporter

I recently installed my 2nd engine from T&L. The experience was excellent and I believe the issues listed in this thread are now under control.
The 1st engine (347) had 445 hp and I decided it was too much for my street use (currently 7,000 miles).
Lloyd, Rob and staff built me a 380 hp 306 which is better suited for my use.
I believe T&L's short comings have been a result of GREAT PRICE & PRODUCT!! Their engines are much less than a crate engine and half the cost of the BIG DOG BUILDERS.

I am is the same boat- going on 14 weeks now w/ a commitment of 6-8 weeks and no calls. I keep hearing it will be complete next week. Wish I would have just had the real story or found this thread before I ordered the engine. I thought the long pole would have been the trans, but suprisingly it is the engine. Still not sure how much longer it is going to take. Just hope it will have been worth the wait (and aggravation). One of the guys at T&L mentioned they had 7-8 other 347s w/ the 44IDF webers in the que going to folks w/ GT40s. Guess there is alot of folks w/ GT40s waiting for T&L to finish their engines.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

I am not going to beat this guy up, it took much longer to build than I was told but I have over 4500 miles on it now, the last 118 miles doing the big bend open road race. Not one problem, I am satisfied even though it took longer. I am happy with the results.

Hi guys, anybody have any recent contact with T & L Engines?
My customer, Bruce Benson has had an engine on order since May, with a $6,000 deposit.
T & L does not respond to him or me!
It has been a long time and we are getting concerned.
I purchased an engine from them last year and everything went as advertised but this is different.
Dave

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter

I've just been checking posts on other sites and see that things don't seem to be getting better with T & L, there's at least two customers that have been waiting over 10 months for their engines and one was in excess of 16 months. Being one of the ones that got held up by their delays and empty promises I don't recommend T & L period. BBB doesn't think that much of them either, rating them an 'F' on a scale of A+ to F.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

This is from one of the other forums, I'm on. This guy was going down to "VISIT" them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Fellas and Gals. I couldn't go to NC monday because of a dying pet and we had some pistols,cash and a camera stolen over the weekend,so I was dealing with the police and insurance. But thats another story. Anyway.... Monday I talked to the detective in NC that is working with the AGs office on T and L case. He talked me out of going down because he has had other people try that route and when they got there their stuff either wasnt ready or not even started. One guy flew from Hawaii, got there and they had nothing done that they said was done. The detective was very nice ,but he said he was frustrated with them too. He has investigated the owner and said that he can't find solid evidence of intentional fraud. He has tried to get the D.A. to bump up the pressure ,but t and l hasn't quite crossed the line for criminal prosecution....YET. He assured me that as soon as they do he will be all over it. So, I will just go get the rest of my parts somewhere else and file my complaints with the authorities and maybe someday I will get my money back. T and L did send an apologetic statement out to waiting customers. I will try to attach it but It doesn't comfort me a bit. The good news is I will be smoking the tires for sure next week. Tell everyone you know and I am going to join other forums just to bad mouth T and L. Good Luck to anyone that may see this who has an order in with them.
T&L Engine Development sent this email recently:
On behalf of Lloyd and the staff here at T&L Engines, we felt the need to address you formally regarding the current actions we have taken to better inform our consumers of the issues we have succumb to as well as the actions we’re taking to resolve the aforementioned problems. Recently, we dispatched a letter addressing the problems they’re currently concerned with. While this was received with mixed feelings, the fact is we felt a dire need to address the situation publically to them. As you know, we have been behind on our production and many customers have questioned our integrity and our legitimacy. It goes without saying that our lack of shipment is a serious issue and we’re diligently working to resolve this however, change will not happen overnight. We are still heavily committed to building a custom, hand built engine of the highest quality as oppose to producing a lackluster product and ship it simply to avoid legal proceedings. We’re uncompromising in our pursuit of perfection and that has largely contributed to our dilemma however, we feel the valor associated with that statement is a testament of our business ethics. As an act of reckoning, we’ve extended our customers warranty from 1 year to three years. We believe this is justified as their patience has been tried due to our inabilities to produce consistently. We’re very hopeful that the consumers understand our position and realize our intentions and actions are of sound mind and judgment. Lloyd has been producing quality engines of the highest regard for over 30 years; it would be a tragedy to throw that reputation away rushing out a few engines in which the customer will still be dissatisfied. A second letter is currently in circulation to these customers informing them of our procedures, our knowledge of the problems and the resolve we’re approaching. We have no intentions of leaving any customer dissatisfied with his or her product. We believe whole heartedly when they receive the item and install it, they’ll be glad they waited. It is our sincere hope that you understand our position and appreciate our battling to overcome these issues. Thank you for your time as we’re certain it’s valuable.

Regard Brian

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

I guess I am lucky to get mine in 6 months but that was almost 2 years ago already. Its been a good motor, no complants over 6k miles. I know how you guys feel waiting and waiting for that I am sorry. Keith Craft will be my next builder if ever I were to order another.

I'll chime in here....not that I want to jump on the bandwagon but I'll speak from my own experience. I purchased the fantasitc car that Tony M built (which has a T&L motor) so I did not have to go through what Tony and others are having to endure now. (Thank God!) I'm out nothing in the monetary sense but I will say I've not been impressed with service after the sale which IMHO is a critical indicator as to how a company treats its customer once they have your money. Tony's engine was built with Webers and I've suffered through a few issues with them and have placed a number of calls to T&L which have either gone unanswered or unreturned. Lloyd did call me once and left a message after I tried T&L 5-6 times. Recently I called them again to inquire about other concerns and Lloyd promised a call back. That has not happened. If you say you'll do something then follow through on that promise. The letter above from T&L says a lot of great things but the proof is in the actions not the promises. I'm trying to understand T&L's positon in this and compared to others I'm blessed. But for those that may be thinking of using T&L, Caveat Emptor.

I did speak with Lloyd at T & L this morning.
He said he is recovering from pneumonia and will call me back with a status on the engine.
We will see how that goes.
I do think that they are overloaded and should stop taking new orders until they are caught up.
Dave

Ron Earp

Admin
Just scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at all the link backs from other sites to this thread about T&L. Every Ford forum has threads about problems with T&L. Be careful.

My suggestion is to only buy from them if you are close enough to pick it up or stop by now and then and shake the tree. My motor was built and in inventory when I bought it so no issues there and so far it is a great motor with no issues

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I did speak with Lloyd at T & L this morning.
He said he is recovering from pneumonia and will call me back with a status on the engine.
We will see how that goes.
I do think that they are overloaded and should stop taking new orders until they are caught up.
Dave
Dave I don't think they can stop taking orders unless there is a large influx of money, in my opinion they are using the new deposits to pay for current engine builds underway. Just my thoughts. I visited there facility before putting up the 10k deposit to build a brand new everything engine, it was spotless inside and they have 3 engine dynos and a complete shop. That is what sold me BUT I was not aware that it was going to be so long to get my motor. They built me a good motor. I just don't think they knew what they were getting into when they went from NASCAR NASTRUCK only to everyone who has a project.

Keith

Jack, you are probably correct about not taking new orders, it is financially unfeasible.
Dave

The cause then, is not time - it's money. Their products obviously don't generate enough gross profit for them... which is why so many people are beating a path to their door. A great product at a cheap price? Nirvana!

Raise the price and reduce demand but they will still be popular because of the quality - but in manageable proportion.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Buy locally, seems to be the way to avoid this. My GT40 motor was built here by a local shop that has been around for a long time (Burtonsville Performance Machining) They were too busy to do the motor for my Kirkham Cobra, so I found a builder in Pittsburgh- who installed one of the head gaskets wrong, left the dipstick out altogether (we had to change the whole front dress of the motor), didn't plug some holes in the heads, etc etc. To his credit he paid for a teardown to fix a lot of this stuff, but it was a pain in the butt to go through it. This stuff isn't rocket science- find a local machine shop that builds performance motors and get them to do it. It's better to spend the money locally anyway. IMHO

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
"Spend locally, drive globally?" or something like that. One of my friends who is a yacht broker used to use the three-hour 'rule'- he avoided buying anything less than three hours away, by car, figuring that three hours is about as far as anyone will drive to confront someone who screwed them on a purchase. He felt that most people know that and will act accordingly. It isn't a rule by any means, but I think it does help to buy locally. People are less likely to shaft you or take your money and deliver nothing when they are local to you and you know where they are (but see below).

In the case of the Cobra engine, the man wasn't dishonest- he was just stupid. The basic short block of the engine seems fine, , but all sorts of other stuff was left out. I mean, who ships a motor without a dipstick OR A PLACE TO PUT ONE? Come on. The head gasket fiasco was very educational- Ford small blocks are made so that if you aren't paying attention (which he wasn't) you can install the head gasket turned end-for-end and all the cooling water will go right past the first cylinder in the bank and not flow along the cylinders to the back end of the block and then return to the front via the head passages. Idiotic. The gaskets are marked. (not a great piece of design, either, frankly) But the guy advertised Ford engines on his web site.

Next engine, I build myself. It's been at least twenty years since I put an engine together, and that was a Chevy 283, but it ran fine for years and was still in my '59 Vette when I sold it. Like I said, this isn't rocket science.

Having said all that, several years back I wanted a Mercedes G-wagen, which are kind of scarce in the USA, or were at the time. There was a local "broker" who advertised cars brought in from Germany. Assured me that the car would come in with a German title and documents which would permit me to title it and register it in the USA legally, no problem. Lived about ten miles from me.

So we found a G-wagen over there, a 240GE, and I bought it. By the time it got here, it was about $15K. Car was a piece of crap- full of rust, needed a million things done, and it had NO documentation at all. Couldn't be registered here- couldn't be legally driven at all. I ended up selling it to a fellow in Georgia who parted it out- he deals in G-wagens and does bring them in from Germany. He said this car COULD have been brought in legally, if the "broker" had bothered to do it correctly, but once they are here they can't be made legal- the exemptions have to occur before the car is out on the road in the USA. I got a little more than half of my investment back.

About two years later, the "broker" called me and said that his lawyer had told him to notify all his customers that he was in trouble with the Feds for bringing cars over illegally. It sucks to be you, doesn't it? I told him. I have no idea what happened to him, but if he ended up in the slammer I would not be astonished. Now, if I were to buy a car brought in from overseas, I'd only pay for it after it were actually here in the States and I saw an American title and registration in one of the 49 states- not Alabama, thanks.

Howdy Blue Oval Guys, a Bow Tie owner here! I know it's strange for me to be posting here, but I wanted to share my experience with T&L and give you all fair warning. I originally ordered a Chevy 408 stroker from them in Jan '08 while on deployment, I'm in the Navy, and sent a deposit. I was hoping it would be delivered shortly after returning home since they quoted me 8 weeks. After three months had gone by I called and they told me there was a back order on the AFR heads holding them up. Fine, I said. By August they had e-mailed me for the final payment since they would be shipping within the week. Sounds good I said. The end of Sep rolls around and still no engine. I call and am told they are backed up on shipping but I should have it by Nov. Fast forward to the end of the year, still no engine. I start calling in Jan '09, keep getting the shipping back log excuse but am told "hopefully next week".

March rolls around and still no engine. I finally get the owner, Lloyd, on the phone. At first he did not even know what engine I was talking about. After being put on hold, he tells me "Oh yeah, that engine got put over in the corner and forgot about because it was dropped off of the forklift when getting loaded onto the shipping truck. We need to check it out, dyno it again, and make sure it's ok." He tells me to give them a couple weeks. So I waited and still no engine.

I have been calling every week since Jan of this year and another guy, Rob, keeps telling me "hopefully next week, we're doing the best we can". In August he tells me, "Oh yeah, Lloyd can't find the original carb because we robbed it for another engine. But when he does, he'll need to dyno it again". So I tell Rob I'm running out of time because I am transferring from Hawaii to the mainland the first week of Dec and have to ship my car in Nov. Rob tells me he'll talk to Lloyd, but I never get any call back.

I keep calling every week, and Rob keeps telling me "hopefully next week". I tell him I want to speak with Lloyd, but he is always out of the shop. I leave messages with Rob for Lloyd and also on the answering machine, but Lloyd never calls me back.

So here I sit, 21 months after originally ordering the engine, it is paid in full, and I still am empty handed. Now I am in a bind because I have to ship my car in three weeks and will have to temp fix the old engine and drop it back in just to get the car running.

I keep asking about a refund, but Lloyd still has not called me. I thought I was the only one in this situation, then started hunting on the internet in other forums. There are dozens of other customers in the same boat. They have an F rating with the BBB. I, along with many others, have filed formal complaints with the BBB and the Attorney General, and T&L have yet to respond. Even those who have received engines, and oddly they ordered after me, they have had problems with the internal parts like rockers not being centered over the valves. You don't have to take my word for it either, just check out the links below and do your own research.

Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to share so others can be well informed before making a decision on using T&L. There are some people happy with their engines, but they are very few. I also know shops can get backlogged and a quality product takes time, but 21 months is ridiculous!

Earl engine#1849
Ewa Beach, HI

check out these forums and make your own conclusions: tandl.freeforums.org • Index page; anybody use T and L engine development;
T&L Engine Development, INC. - Team Camaro Tech; T&L ENGINES IN N.C. - FordMuscle.com Forums

Back