T&L Engines Quality Control??? - BEWARE!

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Re: T&L engines Quality control???

Well, it was 1/7/08 when I last spoke to Lloyd and he told me he'd send the rockers and money and I haven't seen anything to date. I gave him a call this morning and actually got him without having to leave a message. He's looking into it but he thinks he sent both out....hmmm.

Just a quick update...

OK...it's February 19th, I have spoken to Lloyd a number of times and still no rockers delivered. Every time I call I'm told he will check into it and get them shipped out, but nothing happens.

I'm having a problems just trying to speak with ANYONE from T&L since placing my order. I've sent several mails to their joke of a helpdesk asking for an update on my build, none of which have been replied to. Have tried calling, but only ever met with the answerphone. Decided to leave a no nonsense message to get in touch, but of course that has been ignored as well.
All in all, pretty appalling customer service.

Keith Craft is building me a Pond 482. He has great prices is good to deal with and most importantly produces an outstanding end result.

Don't waste you time with those other guys. The little bit you save will be eaten up fixing silly mistakes.

I bought a 427 side oiler from an 'FE expert' years ago, saved a little money but in the end it was the most expensive boat anchor I had ever bought.

This time I decided to do it right from beginning to end. I'm having KC build it then dyno / tune. :rolleyes:

For those who are not getting what you paid for from T&L...

Can't you cancel the credit card charge? I have read you have up to 2 years, but it is better to do it in the first 6 months.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter

Another referance for Keith here...He built a Shelby 482 for me....Great motor, great customer service (you can always get him or Tony, or the plant mgr, or Keith's wife Shelly).
Steve

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter

I'm having a problems just trying to speak with ANYONE from T&L since placing my order. I've sent several mails to their joke of a helpdesk asking for an update on my build, none of which have been replied to. Have tried calling, but only ever met with the answerphone. Decided to leave a no nonsense message to get in touch, but of course that has been ignored as well.
All in all, pretty appalling customer service.

I'm guessing your earlier post about having no problem contacting Lloyd was before you placed your order....

I actually, at last, got an email from someone at T&L today stating that Comp Cams does not have the rockers in stock and thats what the hold up is, it will be a while before they have any more. T&L has offered to replace the rockers with Scorpions instead which I will probably go with. I don't think you will be ripped off you just may end up waiting longer than you anticipated for the delivery. My engine is actually in the car and running and so far it sounds and runs great...just want to get those off-shore rocker arms out of it.

Cheers,

Tony,
you're right in that comms was not a problem before placing the order.
I'm not in any doubt that i will get the engine, what annoys me is the basic lack of courtesy to respond to a customers (many) emails. If the engine is going to be late, fine, just let me know rather than put up a wall of silence.
Guess i'll just sit here like a good little boy until they think i deserve being contacted...

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter

Just don't hold your breath while you're waiting..!!!!!!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

Tony, I ordered a set of Comp Cams rockers after all the posts about the problems with the china ones, I wasn't even going to bother trying to get in touch with Lloyd, much to my surprise when my motor showed up I took off the valve covers and it has Comp Cams from T&L. I have not got to fire the motor as I had to change the webers to EFI because of height problems.

The rockers are new never been opened, you can have them at a discount or I am going to ebay them.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

Tony,
you're right in that comms was not a problem before placing the order.
I'm not in any doubt that i will get the engine, what annoys me is the basic lack of courtesy to respond to a customers (many) emails. If the engine is going to be late, fine, just let me know rather than put up a wall of silence.
Guess i'll just sit here like a good little boy until they think i deserve being contacted...

Simon, I could not agree with you more, I was told 8 weeks, I expected 8 weeks, not 6 months and to be totally bull shitted from the start. I will say I am happy with the dyno specs and looking at the porting of the intake its very impressive how they have increased the air volume by untold hours of grinding heads and intake. The motor could have been fired off if by now if the webers didn't interfere with deck lid.

Attachments

• IMG_9050.jpg
    IMG_9050.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 556

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter

Jack,

Send me a PM and let me know what you want for them.

Thanks,

Jack,
Comming up to three months so far. Granted there was the christmas/new year break to take account of and I understand that the supply of Webers can be attributed to delays, however my build uses a modified AED carb - will eventually get a Kinsler setup once all is sorted. It's good to hear you can confirm Lloyds great porting work i've read about in the MMFF articles.
I'll just bite my lip from now on, guess i'm just eager to start my project after reading about everyone elses on here - i'm sure it'll be worth the wait.
Don't think i need to ask, but let us know how the first start goes. Success :)

Cheers Fran, impressive - based on this success any chance you can get in touch with the man upstairs to ask him about the meaning of life ?

Last edited:

Spoke with Lloyd today. Motor (347) goes on the dyno next week on Friday. Ordered 7 weeks ago, with one more week makes 8. Not too bad since they said 6-8 weeks when I ordered. Have had a few problems getting in touch but Lloyd said they currently dont have any office help up front. Got my fingers crossed.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

Not to break your heart but my motor was to be on the dyno in NOV. 2007, It was to be shipped the first of Dec. The dyno spec sheet said it was dyno'ed the first of Jan. 2008 and shipped the next day. One thing I think we should make clear is I have not heard of one of T and L's engines blowing up or that someone took a head off and found 3 different pistons. I think there build is great from what I have read on other forums (chevy guys), dyno specs prove that, but there communication sucks. Like I said in an earlier post, I think Lloyd has a tiger by the tail and trying to hold on to it. I don't like the bull story you get when you call and they smooth you over by telling you NEXT WEEK. I do like the workmanship so far! Someone should purchase 10 motors from them, have them all built with different set ups and have them in a warehouse, then when a guy needs one sell it to him for $1000 more out the door. I would have paid that! My car would have been on the road months ago. I would have gotten $1000 worth of driving enjoyment in the fall. I agree Kieth Craft builds great motors, I called them first, his motors where in line ($ wise) with Roush but he can have a motor out in a month from what I am told. Now looking back I may have made a different decision.

Lloyd knows I will be showing up Friday PM to witness the dyno run and has confirmed today it will be ready. I dont believe he would have me travel 700 miles to see nothing. If that happens I'll have plenty to add to this topic.

Back