taillights

Dodge Dakota. Btw, fun fact that wasted 3months of my time - all the aftermarket light manufacturers (e.g., DEPO, TYY, Eagle, etc...), while similar and will fit the same in an OEM application, will not fit the same in the superlite. I initially got a pair of DEPO lights, sanded and set them up (and banged them around pretty bad getting perfect fitment), got a replacement pair (eagle, then tyy) and found massive gaps everywhere and piss-poor fitment (since I'd sanded/etc... everything to fit DEPO brand lights) and then spent 3months tracking down lights that were made specifically by DEPO so I didn't have to redo my bodywork to fit another brand.

Fun fact of the day :D

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Alex -

Were you able to find DEPO LED units or did you go with standard filament bulb lenses?

Dave L

Dodge Dakota. Btw, fun fact that wasted 3months of my time - all the aftermarket light manufacturers (e.g., DEPO, TYY, Eagle, etc...), while similar and will fit the same in an OEM application, will not fit the same in the superlite. I initially got a pair of DEPO lights, sanded and set them up (and banged them around pretty bad getting perfect fitment), got a replacement pair (eagle, then tyy) and found massive gaps everywhere and piss-poor fitment (since I'd sanded/etc... everything to fit DEPO brand lights) and then spent 3months tracking down lights that were made specifically by DEPO so I didn't have to redo my bodywork to fit another brand.

Fun fact of the day :D

That being the case, I'm going to have to see if something like these fit.

2005-2011 Dodge Dakota Tail Lights - IPCW LEDT-404CB - IPCW LED Tail Lights

ipcw_LED_tail_light_LEDT-404CB.jpg

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Thanks guys I will look into the Dodge Dakota light what year

2005 to 2011 Dakota. The most important point is to replace it with the same brand due to the variation in shape between after market brands. Look on the back side for evidence of brand name.

Wow.
Never knew the "stock as delivered with the car" DEPO brand of aftermarket tail light would ever be of ANY value. I have one, I chopped the other one up in a fit of frustration. Off the top of my head I don't remember if its left or right.

The light is available for (Dr Evil voice) for One Million Dollars.
But seriously - PM me if you need it.

That being the case, I'm going to have to see if something like these fit.

2005-2011 Dodge Dakota Tail Lights - IPCW LEDT-404CB - IPCW LED Tail Lights

ipcw_LED_tail_light_LEDT-404CB.jpg
James I've been thinking about changing to these to, This company does ask for the exact year from 05 to 11 not sure why? so there could be some slight difference in the mold between the years, don't know. Please let me know if they fit. They would help bring the car up to date.
When I was I Hawaii a couple of weeks ago I stopped in to a Supercar dealership, Ferrari, Lamborgini, Maserati, Lotus they are all using LED's now.
So if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me lol.
Bob I may have some for you if these fit and they are already shaped to fit the car.
What I would also like to add is a brake module that will pulse the brake light two or three times before going solid any one know if this exists?
Cheers,
Grant

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Last edited:
Thanks Ken, it shows it being for the third light, I sent them a message. Im wondering if it could be used on the main brake lights and if one module will do both lights. They do start their ad off right though " Do you drive a sports car that's low to the ground?"
Cheers,
Grant

James I've been thinking about changing to these to, This company does ask for the exact year from 05 to 11 not sure why? so there could be some slight difference in the mold between the years, don't know. Please let me know if they fit. They would help bring the car up to date.
When I was I Hawaii a couple of weeks ago I stopped in to a Supercar dealership, Ferrari, Lamborgini, Maserati, Lotus they are all using LED's now.
So if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me lol.
Bob I may have some for you if these fit and they are already shaped to fit the car.
What I would also like to add is a brake module that will pulse the brake light two or three times before going solid any one know if this exists?
Cheers,
Grant

You'll probably find out way before me. Though mine is sitting in storage, it's not going to be until next Oct 13' before I can start working on it. Trust me, if there was a way to bring it over to Afghanistan, and work on it on my little time off, I would in a heartbeat.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I'm curious if this feature could be programmed into the ISIS system? Has anyone spoken with Jay to find out?

Dave L

Thanks Ken, it shows it being for the third light, I sent them a message. Im wondering if it could be used on the main brake lights and if one module will do both lights. They do start their ad off right though " Do you drive a sports car that's low to the ground?"
Cheers,
Grant

Here's what they wrote me back,

"It can flash a total of 40 watts. However, many cars use the same lamps for
brake and turn signals. You would have to connect the BLP unit at the brake
pedal in order to make it work for the brakes only."

So it looks like one unit will do both sides.
Now I like what Dave mentioned better, if ISIS can do it that would be one less thing to have to splice in to the wiring.

James you are in Afghanistan Hmmm that doesn't sound good.
You take great care and stay safe, I will found out if these LEDS will work in our cars and let you know.
Cheers,
Grant

I found out that there are two PN# for the Dakota 2005 - 2011 tail lights D730121Q and D730121. The Q model are CAPA certified. The CAPA certified lights would be made to a closer OEM standard. So I guess it would depend on the quaility of each of the manufacturer molds if they aren't Q It would be a hit or miss. So I guess I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.
Cheers,
Grant

Last edited:
I like the LED version and I will take one of my lights to the Dodge place and see if we can match it up to this without all the remake around the light. Has anyone actually converted one so they know the exact part number? I am concerned about the mounting, there does not seem ever to be a quick fix for this car.
Bob D

there does not seem ever to be a quick fix for this car.
Bob D

Bob its not that bad, Remember the good old days when you had to drive to 20 different auto wreckers to find a part. Now you just google it, go to Ebay and hit the buy it now button. if it don't work bring out the duct tape and Va-la fixed.:D

Building a one of kind car where no two are alike, thats whats so cool about having one. If we all painted them the same color and parked side by side you will still be able to pick out your car because you made something for it that no one else has or could buy. Hunting for the impossible to find part or building it because it doesn't exist is all part of the hobby. I ordered some LEDS from the company James listed earlier in this thread I should have them next week I will post and let you know how they work.
Cheers,
Grant

Attachments

• duct tape 1.jpg
    duct tape 1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 785
  • duct tape 2.jpg
    duct tape 2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
I like the LED version and I will take one of my lights to the Dodge place and see if we can match it up to this without all the remake around the light.
Bob D

If by "Dodge place" you mean the dealer, I don't think Dodge makes an LED version. The LED versions are all aftermarket.

Bob its not that bad, Remember the good old days when you had to drive to 20 different auto wreckers to find a part. Now you just google it, go to Ebay and hit the buy it now button. if it don't work bring out the duct tape and Va-la fixed.:D

Building a one of kind car where no two are alike, thats whats so cool about having one. If we all painted them the same color and parked side by side you will still be able to pick out your car because you made something for it that no one else has or could buy. Hunting for the impossible to find part or building it because it doesn't exist is all part of the hobby. I ordered some LEDS from the company James listed earlier in this thread I should have them next week I will post and let you know how they work.
Cheers,
Grant

That is awesome, definitely let me know how it goes and of course a picture of two wouldn't hurt either :thumbsup: (saves me from photoshoping it to see what it would look like before hand...lol). I am almost certain though, it will be a nice improvement.

Back