The Art of Racing In the Rain - Garth Stein

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Updated - see post 22!
————————

I just finished this book and I have to tell you it is FIVE-STARS gents...

While I take precious little time to read, I do spend a good deal of time on the highways and my wife insisted that I get the Audio Book (6 CDs)...

What an experience. Few books have touched me the way this one did. Maybe because I can relate so closely to it..

Garth Stein, the author, is not a race car driver, but you could not tell it from the content of this book. ((Edit - It's been pointed out to me that Garth Stein did race Spec Miata class and won a championship in 2003 but then left racing after a serious wreck while racing in the rain))

YouTube - The Art of Racing in the Rain Video Book Trailer (Extended)

Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.
Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. Using the techniques needed on the race track, one can successfully navigate all of life's ordeals.
On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through: the sacrifices Denny has made to succeed professionally; the unexpected loss of Eve, Denny's wife; the three-year battle over their daughter, Zoë, whose maternal grandparents pulled every string to gain custody. In the end, despite what he sees as his own limitations, Enzo comes through heroically to preserve the Swift family, holding in his heart the dream that Denny will become a racing champion with Zoë at his side. Having learned what it takes to be a compassionate and successful person, the wise canine can barely wait until his next lifetime, when he is sure he will return as a man.
A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life . . . as only a dog could tell it.

...and I just found out that it will be coming out as a movie... Hopefully one that does the book justice!

Patrick Dempsey Stars in The Art of Racing in the Rain

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Gonna be tough to do as a movie without becoming a "talking dog" picture.

Agreed, a very good book. Even my wife read it and she usually only does "mind candy" books. My next door neighbors borrowed it and both read it, she complained to me that she spent two hours crying after she finished it!

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
If they do it where the dogs lips don't move, and everything is just thoughts, then it should be OK. LOL

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I've met Garth. He's a local. He did race spec MX5 cup for a while. Nice guy.

Oh, please, not a "talking dog" picture...
YES! But only if it's a bi-ped!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I got a copy of this one at the Monterey Historics, I started to read it but I just cant take sad dog stories. I still have not gotten over Old Yeller and that was over 50 years ago!

i think it will just be narrated. so no moving lips for the dog. like a homeward bound movie style. hopefully at least. Im excited for it.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Geeze - talk about Thread Creep!!! :eek:

It's not a sad dog story / movie... It's a story told from the Dog's Vantage point. He's really quite the philosopher...
Moving dog-lips - well, I would rather doubt it..
Especially since he (Enzo the dog) tells us in the story that the reason Dogs cannot talk is because of their huge tongues..

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
But Randy,

You KNOW Hollywood pays no mind to what the author wrote, a "screenplay treatment" may or may not actually be based upon the book! More than the story, they are purchasing the "title" and will market that to people who recognize it.

Hell, thay are talking a "Bullitt" remake with Brad Pitt as Frank Bullitt....that's just scarey!!!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Geeze - talk about Thread Creep!!! :eek:

It's not a sad dog story / movie... It's a story told from the Dog's Vantage point. He's really quite the philosopher...

Sorry for the thread creep,

If its not a sad dog story how come my wife has not stopped crying?

Ron Earp

Admin
I read a lot of fiction in a variety of forms. I've toyed with the idea of buying this book MANY times whilst browsing various stores. Thanks for the recommedation, I think I'll give it a go now. From the description of the story it seems that a movie version would be hard to make.

As far as the movies go, well, personally I find the majority of movie adaptions to be lacking. And how can they, in most cases, be anything but? Working with a substandard medium, as compared to the vast power of the imagination, it is hard to beat the printed word. Not to say I don't enjoy a movie now and again, but the wife and I frequently read together a bit more often than watch a movie together.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
As far as the movies go, well, personally I find the majority of movie adaptions to be lacking.

Like the dreaded advertising words "based on a true story", i.e. both the real story and the movie both have humans in them!

Wait until "Go Like Hell" gets made, see my comments on clubCobra about what Hollywood will do that story! And who will be cast as Enzo?!?!?

Not wanting to derail this thread, but while we're talking dog stories there is an excellent Australian book "Red Dog", a true story about a dog in outback Australia adopted by the tough miners at a mine site. He befriended them all, rode on the mine bus with them, and when he got sick they had a collection to raise funds and flew with him a long distance to the nearest vet. After many adventures, the dog eventually died and the miners erected a monument to him. Can't remember the author, and can't find where I've put the book either (CRAFT's disease).

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
My wife bought the book on CD so I could listen to it while driving to and from. I listen to it twice I liked it so well then passed it on the Mike Trusty who drove around in circles so he could finish it. HA!

Back