The Fox Body Porsche Killer: The Story of the 1981 Zakspeed Mustang.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
This week seems to be learning week for me - again today....
I knew the story of the Zakspeed Capri but I did not know that there was a knock-off with the Foxbody Mustang.... enjoy.

Especially from 5:40

Under the skin

Grp 5 silhouette Capri.
7 where made, 2 where demo cars without engines back in the days and never raced, both still excist, 1 at the Ford Cologne plant (Ford herritage collection) and 1 at Technik museum Speyer/Sinsheim.
5 build to race but one burned down on the first race (the one Zakspeed reintroduced at Goodwood several years ago).
So only 4 ever raced all seasons with differend livery's each race depending on which sponsor the teams found to pay for the race.

They raced two differend classes in each weekend. With just an engine swap and wing settings between the two classes.
1400cc for division 1 & 1700cc for division 2.
Basicaly a 1300 Ford Kent engine with a Cosworth developed BDA head. Zakspeed refined and Turbocharged.

The only part thats actualy Capri is the roofskin and vent panel below the frontscreen.

There was a rumour that the Mustangs where actualy rebody't Capri's but I doubt that.
My guess is that Zakspeed just made a few more chassis and shipped them to the USA.

Zakspeed still has the jigs & moulds and is producing GP5 Capri's on order.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
JP,
Thanks for the write up.

[QUOTE="JP Verweij,
.... Zakspeed still has the jigs & moulds >
> and is producing GP5 Capri's on order > @8:50
> The only part thats actualy Capri is the roofskin and vent panel below the frontscreen > @18:15
[/QUOTE]

Zakspeed provided 1.7 and 2.1 L engines for Mustangs raced by Roush and Ford in IMSA's GTP category 1983 and 1984. With 600 hp the Mustangs were potent, but not reliable.
I remember being on track with Bobby Rahal in one while I raced in GTU.

Ron Earp

Admin
Cool, thanks for posting that! Not much Fox DNA left in those cars at all, other than being called a Mustang/Capri during the years the Fox was produced. I like seeing these old non-NASCAR domestic racing efforts from back in the day.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Grp 5 silhouette Capri.
7 where made, 2 where demo cars without engines back in the days and never raced, both still excist, 1 at the Ford Cologne plant (Ford herritage collection) and 1 at Technik museum Speyer/Sinsheim.
5 build to race but one burned down on the first race (the one Zakspeed reintroduced at Goodwood several years ago).
So only 4 ever raced all seasons with differend livery's each race depending on which sponsor the teams found to pay for the race.

They raced two differend classes in each weekend. With just an engine swap and wing settings between the two classes.
1400cc for division 1 & 1700cc for division 2.
Basicaly a 1300 Ford Kent engine with a Cosworth developed BDA head. Zakspeed refined and Turbocharged.

The only part thats actualy Capri is the roofskin and vent panel below the frontscreen.

There was a rumour that the Mustangs where actualy rebody't Capri's but I doubt that.
My guess is that Zakspeed just made a few more chassis and shipped them to the USA.

Zakspeed still has the jigs & moulds and is producing GP5 Capri's on order.

Attachments

• Schild_A4quer_Showfahrzeug_FZT-Capri_english.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 65

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Cool, thanks for posting that! Not much Fox DNA left in those cars at all, other than being called a Mustang/Capri during the years the Fox was produced. I like seeing these old non-NASCAR domestic racing efforts from back in the day.

Hello Ron,
yes the good old day's..... we once had the DTM (German Touring Car Championship), not sure if this was familiar in the US?

So the DTM back then was using "regular" street cars which have been modified, later on the OEM's used homologation cars for a basis but as a Joe Average you could always indentify yourself with a car you could "drive" on the street...

However there was also a Foxbody Mustang - hope you like this too ;)

Back