the Steinard MK3 takes shape

got a little more done on the mk3, i have ventured down a slightly differen path with this one as it takes shape you will see better that i can try to explain, but so far ive added the side pods which will house both the fuel tanks, and at the rear the radiators as well, also finalized the steering shaft and dash roll hoop today, so the front is just about completed now.

cheers Kaspa

John
What sort of class will this car run in as its not a `real` f5000`. over here they would not allow it to run with the purist!
Cheers

Hi Russel, no nor here spoil sports, so it will be log booked as a formula Libre, same as the other car.

body trial fit over the new dash hoop and i'm just a tad over 10mm to high , but no biggy as you look over it and not through it.

next step is make an alloy screen, and dash panel.

getting there slowly.
kaspa

Another piece of the puzzle arrived today, so now you can see the direction this car is taking.

all i need now is a NO JUNK MAIL Sticker for it.
just enough clearance for the roll hoop to fit underneath.

kaspa

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Looks good

I don't know your safety regs in NZ but the last time I raced single seater (Formula V) the requirement was that the top of helmet in seated position must be no closer than 50mm from a line from top of roll hoop to top of front tyre with suspension in a full droop position.

It looks like that measurement might be tight in the above photo

Ian

Ian we have to have a dash roll hoop, which you can see in previous pic, and your helmet must be under the line from top of main roll hoop to top of dash hoop. and in my case theres plenty of clearance. i got caught out with the MK1 and had to add the dash hoop to get a log book, so i wont get caught out this time.
BTW i'm in AUS now, not NZ

cheers Kaspa

Keith

Hi John, re the scoop. Will that add much in the way of performance to a relatively stock LS3 or is it mainly cosmetic?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ian we have to have a dash roll hoop, which you can see in previous pic, and your helmet must be under the line from top of main roll hoop to top of dash hoop. and in my case theres plenty of clearance. i got caught out with the MK1 and had to add the dash hoop to get a log book, so i wont get caught out this time.
BTW i'm in AUS now, not NZ

cheers Kaspa

Cheers John I thought you would probably have it under control

And apologies about the country - Avatar flag is too small to count the stars! :laugh:

Ian

Hi Colonel the engine is a long way from stock ole mate, as for purpose a bit of both, it should give a little boost at speed, and its the period look for the car.

kaspa

Keith

Hi Colonel the engine is a long way from stock ole mate, as for purpose a bit of both, it should give a little boost at speed, and its the period look for the car.

kaspa

Thanks John, I must say I've always associated ram scoops in F5000 with much later style machinery, at least in the UK. My company sponsored an F5000 run by RAM Racing with a GAA 3.4 litre Cosworth in the back and driven on a few occasions by none other than Alan Jones. The 'Thursdays' car - it does pop up in videos from time to time. I remember getting a brand new Cortina MKIII Estate and having to use it to shuttle tyres back and forth at Brands & Silverstone - circa 1974/5 if memory serves, and it became distinctly 3rd hand on only my 1st day of ownership! Bad choice of vehicle but it was the only wagon available. The 3.4 litre Cosworth was quite competitive with the Chevys on the twisty tracks but not so much on the power tracks like Silverstone. I remember Alan as a very determined pedaller who took no prisoners.

Sorry for drift mate.. :)

Keith, well i should have around the 600hp which is what the 5000's had on average so it wont be slow, and with a bit of luck i may have a seasoned pedaler to hop in it for me for any competition events hill climbs etc.

Yes terry basically a Tasman series look alike, always loved watching those cars and eventually got to drive one once, and i was hooked, but i had to wait a while to realize the dream.

kaspa

Looks good John, I think the wings and big scoops are what really makes the 5000s look so cool, AND the Huge rear tyres of course.
Still waiting for shafts but progressing with uprights and the main case bearing locations etc. Will send you some more photos soon.

Cheers Leon.

Keith

That's a robust looking piece John. Presumably, you could also crane the car from that point (in the unlikely event of an off (!) and if the balance was in the right place.)

finaly received the last bits i needed to finish the exhaust system, so here she be, two 90mm howitzers out the stern, if that dont get your attention nothin will. lol.

am also almost finished the nose cone and cockpit surround, but i wont post a pic till its done, as it looks shite in cardboard.

kaspa

spent all day in 30deg + heat today first real warm day of the summer, anyway apart from sweating like a pig i managed to get the front almost sorted, well enough so you get the idea of where i'm headed
first up the wheel pods,

a 3/4 shot showing the venturie which will also serve as a pick up for front brake cooling ducts

same shot from tother side so you get the idea

so thats it, the front leading edge will be rolled over a 19mm radius and the top has yet to be trimmed, and then weld it all up.

cheers Kaspa

John
I know your not at this stage yet, but what sort of camber and toe settings will you be looking at, From memory, I think I set the last m8 up with 10mm toe front and rear, 10mm camber front and neautral camber on the rear.
Cheers
Russell

Back