This is a leading question.

Hi all

This is a leading question.
1:- Would there be any demand for a replica GT40 MK111 or MK1V?
2:- What other super car would you like to see made available on the replica market ?
3:- Would a replica of the New concept GT40 (43) be well received?
4:- What is wrong with The way that current replica companies market their products ?

You never know you may just get what you desire, a lot of influential people will read
you answers. Thanks for your participation.

Regards

Chris
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

1105_34.jpg

47b2dc01b3127cce9ce35c0688f10000005410

[ April 16, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

1. I'm sure there is a demand, not from me though. I like them but the MKI is ther car for me.
2.I would like to see a 67/68? Lola T70 coupe avaluable. I know they are out there but where?
3. I think the new GT will be well recieved. There are alot of people with too much money and they all want the latest/greatest thing to come down the pipeline.
4.There isn't a whole lot I see wrong with the car marketing(esspecially RF). With some of the others everything seems to be a secret. Come clean and upfront from the beginning. Everyone knows a "complete kit" is not complete and that mods are and will be necessary. Last 2 things, listen to the customers sometimes we have good improvements or ideas & last,just because the car is being biult doesn't mean you should ever stop improving upon it.
John
smile.gif

Chris,

In answer to your question(s):

1. A MKIII and MKIV replica would be great, as it would give GT40 lovers some options.
One of each would look good in my garage!

2. MacLaren F1 (Great Car!)

3. Perhaps a GT43.5 replica might be popular
in 20 years or so, but for now, the only
appeal would be for those too big to fit in a GT40! (Why fix what isn't broken?)

4. All replica manufacturers have their own
marketing strategies, based on their ability
and need to put cars out the door. For some, more is better, and for some, more would be overwhelming.

It would be nice to have a database of all the pertinent facts of each car to make an accurate comparison possible. With some
manufacturers, this data is readily available, with others, obtaining it is a
chore in itself.

Personally,I'll stick with a company that builds a few things very well. More units means less attention to detail.

By the way, where is this question leading to.......?

Bill

smile.gif

[ April 16, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

OK Chris,

1) MkIIIs and MkIVs would be great.
2) All the ones I like are available -
John - contact Bob Sparks and see if his
Lola is still available, includes molds.
3) Nope, MkI still rules here
4) The good companies market well, the bad
companies don't, 'nuff said.

Hi John and Bill
I can see the Mclaren on the street but the T 70 only on the track, but I do know of two street driven T70 in the UK.

I also think if you want to get the replica GT body without the chassis then what is the problem?
Some people wish to make their own chassis.
Regards
Chris

fdcc79f3.jpg

[ April 18, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Chris:
I think there is a demand for a replica Mk3 car, definitely, the Mk4 I am not so sure about, at least not as much as a Mk1 or Mk3. One of the problems with building a replica Mk4, if you want to be accurate, is that you have to build the tub out of expanded honeycomb aluminum composites or something similar. Ouch. You think building a replica steel Mk1 or Mk3 tub is difficult; at least you can weld that up using jigs and TIG equipment. The aluminum tub would be much harder to make, and as for repairing it if you crunched it, ooh, don't even want to think about that. Of course, if you just want it to LOOK like a Mk4, it's a lot easier.
The great thing about companies like RF and ERA is that they provide a benchmark for everyone else. There are a number of outfits building GT40s that look quite good to me; I think the GTD/CAV cars look good and also the Tornado, although I haven't seen one of those. Phil Ware's car is also supposed to be very fine as well although I haven't seen one. These guys raise the level of expectations for everyone, and by doing that they do themselves and the buyers all a favor.
What other replicars? Well, if the Powerball ticket I just bought pays off, I would definitely buy one of Tom Kirkham's C---a replicas. I think the Lola T70 is outrageously beautiful, for the track- I don't think you could drive it on the street. And (don't laugh) I wish someone built a really good replica, with a modern FWD drive train, life size, of the Cord 810-812, which I think is one of the best looking cars ever designed, although the originals were poorly served by their mediocre drive train.

Chris,
How do I get info from Bob Sarks. I can't get one now but if I set my goals high enough who knows. I know you posted picture a while back under MK 4 photos of a Lola chasis but they no longer come up any chance of re-doing them?
Thanks ,
John

Hi Chris...

My 2P worth!

1. Personally I would have thought there would be more demand for a Mk3 than 4, the Mk3 being more road friendly, altho I would dare to say the demand for either would be small....

2. Anything that is no longer in production!

3. Personally I wouldn't be even slightly interested!

4. I could go on for pages on this one! As a newcomer to GT40 ownership in the UK I'm comparing it to other replica's I've built & helped with...

GT40 parts are hard to get & very expensive. I'm sure the reason for this is the fact that most parts are hand made in small numbers, & those companies producing parts seem to me to be one-man-bands/enthusiasts/hobbies with limited bugdets & time.. If the car used more easily available donor parts from production vehicles life would be alot easier/cheaper!

I guess it's a bit of a vicous circle, if there were more owners, cars & parts could be produced in larger numbers/stocks & more developed, bringing price down and quality up... lots of people are put off ownership by high parts prices & lack of availablilty...

But then if there were as many GT40's as there are 7's & cobras would the car have the same appeal?

Much development work seems to be left up to the owner, I wouldn't go as far as to say we're all driving prototypes, but hey!

The saving grace of ownership is definatley the clubs, their members & this BBS, those I've been lucky enough to meet & speak to have been really helpful, & given me their time & knowledge as fellow enthusiasts.

G

Chris

Don't forget the MK II.
I know several companies offer an MK II rear clip, but to be true to form, the
correct MK II front clip is also required.
ERA's is great...and also beyond my budget.

And by the way...for those who don't follow
Factory Five Racing closely, they are about
to launch a mid-engine supercar that can
be built for around $ 35k. Reportedly
styled in the vein of Ultima/Saleen S-7,
with maybe a few older styling clues tossed in.

Their in-house Forum mentioned July 1 target for a running prototype, so honestly
production is another year off. However
for those of us who built an FFR Cobra,
the dedication and passion and MARKETING SAVY of those guys is second to NONE!

If their mid-engine is as sexy as has been reported, and as well executed as their Cobra, you can be sure they will take a
chunk out of the mid-enine replica market,
including Lambos, Ultimas, and yes...GT40s.

For those that can only live with a "40",
this won't matter...but for the rest of the world, the competition continues to heat up!

MikeD

MikeD, now you've got me thinking.. if I were to buy another self assembly supercar (superkitcar?) I would be really interested ion a modern design that took it's cues from the racecars of the 60's-70's.

For me, personally it would suit.. however the styling would have to be right, which is why I chose a GT40 over, say, an Ultima. the Ultima looks better engineered/designed & doesn't have the 'replica' stigma, but style wise just doesn't cut the mustard! (IMO!)

I think the current field of manufacturers are listening and the hungrier ones will
make these cars that people want. already the demand for a monocoque has caused two more companies to offer them.
I would love to see a replica of the Lotus
Elise. This looks to be a good candidate for replication. I have a sneaky suspecion that
it won't be long before this happens.
Marketing seems to be the most difficult part for a company selling replicas. Right now I belive CAV is on the right track. But what they do takes a lot of money. In the long run it will pay off much more than they put in.
Many people forget that most all kit manufacturers also build turn keys too. If they compare all of these they will find that most are in the same price range. The buyer must look at these and determine which componants are most important to him.As most
have different frames, suspensions, brakes, and other items that make a differance in affordability and quality. Obtaining this information is a monumental task. Some companies fail to mention all of the details needed to make an honest comparison. The consumer then has to spend many hours on the phone asking about various parts and options.
I think the first and formost important thing a potential buyer must do is see the
car in person. Without a good company demo there are customers that will by-pass that
manufacturer. Word of mouth goes a long way but there still is no replacement for actually seeing the product up close.

Hersh
smile.gif

G

Hersh

I think a lot of this stems from
the nature of "cottage" industries...
which is that many kit car makers are undercapitalized (poor manuals, little or
no inventory, no demo or references, etc).

In this day and age of get rich quick
internet companies, it seems investment
bankers are not easily persuaded to back
entrepreneurs unless the potential returns
are very high or very fast. And neither are likely building replicas!

However the Smith brothers (Factory Five)
have shown that it can be done given
a solid product and a solid business plan.
There are other success stories of course, but I think the whole Industry needs more
"professionalism", along with more of the
creativity that started kit cars in the first
place.

That does not mean there is no room for small
production kit makers, but hopefully they too
will embrace continuous improvement and
help this Industry stay "legit"
before Big Brother decides otherwise.

MikeD

Hi Julian

I don't think that the Lotus Elise is sold in the USA, so if not a replica Elise might be on the cards.

Regards

Chris

Hello, Mike D

What companies do you know of that can supply the MkII rear clip ?
Other than GTD and ERA !

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Lotus cars USA will be importing the Elise
to the States and selling them by Sept. of 2003(2004 model). The new "federalized' Elise will have a 145HP 2.2 liter GM four cylinder engine, instead of the 1.8 Rover. $38,500USD + tax,tags,title.
This will also be the "last" year that Lotus
will be building the Esprit.
I wonder if they have a new supercar in the
works.
Bill

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

Bill: Where did you get the info on the elise engine? Last I heard, it was getting the 190 hp unit from the celica (VVTi). But that was only a rumor.

Chris,
This is an interesting thread.
Re (4), I have been trying to contact GTD. There are no replies to my Emails, and BT tells me that the telephone number shown on their website is not correct.

Do they really want to sell their kits?

I am hoping to see them at Stoneleigh (The biggest gathering of genuine GT40s and replicas?), but I have been told "not to hold my breath!!".

Do I really have to buy my kit from the other side of the world? (RF40??)

Lets hope somebody from GTD reads this, and contacts me.
confused.gif

Sorry if this is going off topic a bit, but I know of a couple of Elise in the USA.. IIRC the owners imported them minus engine (shipped seperatley) I have heard rumors of a US Elise using the honda S2000 engine...

Geoff, GTD's website & contact number are well out of date.. they have posted on this BBS & you can probably get their number from directory enquiries...

Local Lotus dealer, Criswell in Maryland, has basic information from press release by Arnie Johnson, CEO Lotus US. Car will be here in fall of 2003 with 120 hp and everything except hard top. Softer suspension. Last week they had 14 deposits.

There are three versions avilable in US now. One is a conversion in CA?, it is converted and road leaga. I think it uses a Honda engine and is $50K. Other two are imported from Lotus directly. Both are not leagal for street only track. One is 190 hp other is 200. Informtion on both available on Lotus Web site http://www.lotuscars.com/

Last week Autoweek had article on UK cars, including Elise.

Back