toe

I got camber roughed in over the weekend, but have a question about toe. If toe is set to 3mm, is that per side or total?

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Pat, in the absence of a reply from any RF owners.

That will be 3mm total. Twice that would be excessive.

Great car, well done Pat.

Regards

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
I think owning an RF is like having Leprosy at the moment.Feels that way to me anyway.I agree with Russ Pat 6mm overall would be way to much, mine is 1 to 1.5mm.
Ross

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I am tempted to mention camels...But I wont. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/censored.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Pete, I now feel much better knowing that I am not the only deviate on the Forum !!!

Perhaps you could post an explanatory picture for those who don't know (camel toes / saddle bags - anything would do) !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Can someone confirm how this measurement is taken?

Presumably picking up 2 points on the rim on each side and setting the total toe at the 3mm or 1.5mm per side.

Now if you have 15 inch rims this measurement will be a mich bigger angle from straight forward position than if say you had very bling 20 inch rims. (This would give an extra 5 inches to get the 3mm toe - this is a total mix of imperial and metric)

So should it be stated as 3mm (on 16 inch rims)etc.?

My old trig tables and maths seem to have left the building

Ian

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Ian, I think the measurement is taken at the front of the tyre itself, thus largely removing the rim diameter issue.

From memory, the alignment machine works in degrees of toe-in, each side being measured separately. A manual input of the tyre diameter translates the degrees to mm (or inches) of toe-in at the front of the tyre.

I think that the idea of mm or inches of toe-in came from the old days when a manufacturer was fairly sure that their standard wheel/tyre combo was going to be used. With all the options nowadays, perhaps the degree setting is the right one to go with ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
Pete, I now feel much better knowing that I am not the only deviate on the Forum !!!

Perhaps you could post an explanatory picture for those who don't know (camel toes / saddle bags - anything would do) !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

[/ QUOTE ]Not a problem Peter, below is the famous Camel Toe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

Attachments

• 77667-220px-Cam-toe.jpg
    77667-220px-Cam-toe.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 186

Ron Earp

Admin
Degrees are better, but at the track we use homemade tow plates. Just two aluminum plates with slots and the plates stick out in front and rear of the tire, one for each wheel. Use a tape meausure to measure from front to front, and back to back, the difference in these measurements is the total toe, in mm. Change accordingly. I've got about 2-3 mm tow out each side for the Miatas, but we want turn in and are giving up a bit of straight line stability. Likes turning though!

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Will and I use parallel string lines down each side of the car and measure from this line back to the wheel rim (front) and (rear). The difference in mm will be the Toe (in or out)for that side of the car you are measuring. Add both sides for over all toe. string lines are setup at hub centre height.Ron I've heard of clubman cars here using toe out for better turn in too but I reckon the speed of the 40 requires stability even if you have to muscle it round the corners.
Ross

Back