Tornado Build - www.gt40builder.com

Hi Trevor,
These are the panels that Simon was talking about, and yes there are not covered in the build manual. They will keep the road muck out of the side pods as well as giving better under body aerodynamics
Regards

Attachments

• P6270753.jpg
    P6270753.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,014
Modified sills

Hi all

I've been in the garage this afternoon looking at the sills based on the last few posts from a few of you. Basically I've changed my template to include an extra lip/overhang as Ian showed in his picture.

This is what it now looks like, do you think this is better?
build-april1.jpg

Also on the otherside of the sill I noticed that there is a gap between the panel and the chassis so part of the panel isn't attached to anything. I am not sure if this is correct as I've cut to the exact size the manual said. Anyway rather than leave the gap I've modified my template again to include another lip that bridges the gap. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me if this is the right way to go or not and whether I should just leave a gap there.

This is the current sill template:
build-april2.jpg

Thanks

Trevor

Finally today I cut a few more templates out for the lower bulkhead sides, and drivers compartment side panels. Aiming to get all the sills cut in ally tomorrow pending comments about the lips I've added to the templates.

build-april3.jpg

Trev

Trev,
I think the overhang on the front section is right (at least it is the same as what I have done anyway in the area where the fuel filler sits) but the lip on the outside section not sure. I think you may find that if you cut the panel with both overhangs as you show, it may be difficult to actually locate the panel in place once you have cut it. You can always try and see what happens. I found that it was fairly easy to trim a panel back if i measured it too large in a few places. I used notch nibblers from CBS.
Ian

Trev,
I think the overhang on the front section is right (at least it is the same as what I have done anyway in the area where the fuel filler sits) but the lip on the outside section not sure. I think you may find that if you cut the panel with both overhangs as you show, it may be difficult to actually locate the panel in place once you have cut it. You can always try and see what happens. I found that it was fairly easy to trim a panel back if i measured it too large in a few places. I used notch nibblers from CBS.
Ian

Do your sills have the gap then Ian on the inside edge like this?
build-april4.jpg

Also here is a clearer image showing the proposed sill modifications:
build-april5.jpg

Trev,
Here's what I did...remembering of course that I too am learning as I go so hopefully this isnt the blind leading the blind here?!
Ian

Attachments

• P1010274.jpg
    P1010274.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 618
  • P1010275.jpg
    P1010275.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 595
  • P1010276.jpg
    P1010276.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 668

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
OK everybody you are all wrong so throw your panels away and start again!

Just joking. Its fine to do what you have done but makes little difference. When the aluminium closure panels are fitted after the doors are hung and adjusted, a bead of polyurethane adhesive is run around the inside corner bonding it all together and securing everything at the same time.

We do not panel either side of the engine bay as it adds weight and creates two large water traps.

I can see there are going to be a few more nice cars out there in the not to distant future.

I will try and keep up to speed on the build threads from now on and post when there is a question.

Thanks

Andy

Saturday sill work

Progress update: My friend Dave came over today to give me a hand. After several hours 'planning' what we were going to do down the local pub we finally got round to cutting up the aluminum panels for the sills.

Big thanks to Dave, he's a good worker:
build-april6.jpg

Car with cut sill panels:

build-april7.jpg

build-april8.jpg

Trev

Hi Trevor,
you can add a couple of drain holes in the side panels along side the engine bay to prevent water collecting. If you follow Andy’s logic and are more worried about weight rather than the airflow under the vehicle you could remove the floor section ahead of the steering rack. No worry about a water trap then. :laugh:

Keep up the good work

Regards
Andy

Hey Trev,

You are on the right track, the sill panels look great.

Don't drink and panel!

Would have posted earlier but I am in NYC for Greek Easter, a little too Uzo much last night.:yuck:

Cheers,
S

More panels cut today

Cut a few more panels today. I've now done the rear bulkhead side panels and the dash frame side panels.

build-april9.jpg

Next job is to do some marking on the panels ready for drilling and then start on the rear bulkhead template. Off to eat some easter eggs now though and enjoy the rest of the bank holiday.

More templates

A little bit more progress tonight, made some templates for the Footwell top and front lower bulkhead.

build-april12.jpg

Trying to do at least one small job a day to keep things moving along.

Back