Trim tip.

A good weekend project...
I thought I'd share this with my CAV friends. I took all the plexiglass from the car and masked all but 5/8" to the edges. (inside surfaces). A bit tricky but patience and good blue masking tape resulted in a satisfactory tape job:drunk:
Cleaned thoroughly with rubbing alcohol, and then spray painted them black.
What it did, basically, was hide the sometimes not-too-neatly-applied gasket foam material under the glass.
I think it gives the car a more "finished" look.
Then, while I was at it, I also painted all the window hinges and hardware flat black. :evil: Maybe I should have done the pop-out window too?
GT40lens2.JPG

GT40lens.JPG

GT40window.JPG

GT40window2.JPG

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Ray,

Looks great! I know it was something we discussed when I was doing your Weber heat sheild. Well done.

Here's something along the same lines, detail work on Angelos' CAVGT1075. We're going hard core here with major refitting including all suspension updates, converting to right hand drive and respray to correct 1969 LeMans layout.

So the headlamp and driving lamp recesses will be semi-gloss black with black surrounds rather than the black upper and orange lower as in the pace car pictures.

It's amazing how much more visual impact you get from the roundels, numbers and logos even over the stock car. Also the wide track rear suspension fills out those giant Gulf flares.

About the roundels and numbers, we've gone with base/clear on both. The removable hood section was quite tricky to do as the roundel intersects the edge/gutter and there's a small gap between the orange stripe and the circle. Yeah, we blew through a few rolls of 3M Blue masking tape! Although still covered in the pic, the center Nasa duct has been opened up.

Also the narrow stripe between the powder blue and marigold orange is now dark blue and the sweep of the stripe as per '69 LeMans, the wrap around starting on the nose and rising over the side markers. We've also eliminated the left side Monza filler cap but that's another story:)

Cheers

Attachments

• AHPIM0708.jpg
    AHPIM0708.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 321
  • AHPIM2232.jpg
    AHPIM2232.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 313
  • AHPIM2236.jpg
    AHPIM2236.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 328
  • AHPIM1158.jpg
    AHPIM1158.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 320
  • AHPIM1162.jpg
    AHPIM1162.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 292
That really looks nice Ray. Thanks for posting some pics - looks like I'll be doing the same on the next nice/sunny day here in Seattle.

Back