UK RCR - JayPSC

JayPSC

Deceased 5-24-07, RIP
Yeah was a set of 4, gonna keep 2 as spares - 2 screws to install & all the wiring comes with it.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Jay

The Reflector is supposed to be a certain size and vertical - difficult to find a vertical place on the rear of a GT40.

Have a look at the last page of the DAX Build Up thread - reflectors are still on - purchased from Car Build and attached on a thin Ali strip to 1 bolt - bend strip to get the right angle!

Also off hand I cannot think if you at an Enthusiast Club Member if so we have an SVA box of bits. - Things like seat belts with all correct markings!
Screens to keep them happy ETC

Ian

JayPSC

Deceased 5-24-07, RIP
Headlight brackets made out of 304 stainless, TIG welded stainless bolts to it, should work ok. Will fibreglass them in tonight & then start on the passenger side. Took bloody ages to cut out, going to invest in a plasma cutter this week I think.

Jay

26.jpg

Jay, If you are useing the powerlocks, make sure they stay unlocked all the time you are in the car, getting out of a GT40 in a hurry ( fire or something ) is not easy, if the locks are on and the power to the locks not switchable, you are fried ! Frank

JayPSC

Deceased 5-24-07, RIP
Yeah I wouldnt like to be caught in a 40, hard enough getting in & out when there's no panic.

Headlight mounts bonded in now, would like to start on the passenger side but it's a bit late to be cutting stainless - neighbours might get a bit annoyed lol.
27.jpg

28.jpg

JayPSC

Deceased 5-24-07, RIP
Fog/Reverse lights fitted, Side repeaters in & finished the dreaded job of attaching headlights.

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Jay-- Where did you pick up your radiator overflow tank? I suspect you bought it in the U.K. It is really sharp looking from what I can see of it.

Keep up the nice work on your car. You are really rocking and rolling on that thing. You inspired me to go with the electric door locks. It's a very nice feature. In my RCR build I'm not doing soom of things that are conventional to the original GT 40. That's not to say that I'm going off the deep end, but I am building the car to suit me.
That black paint job is killer. Everything I own is black and when it's clean that is a spectacular color. Are you planning on striping it? Congratulations a fine job.--Vaughn

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Jay

Fog and reverse light will be too low for SVA (unless your suspension goes up a long way!)

Turn units through 180degrees and so the bracket is on the bottom - the extra height for the bottom of the light will probably just get there!

Ian

JayPSC

Deceased 5-24-07, RIP
Measured the fog/reverse according to SVA manual & they are in spec, even with engine & fuel I think I'll still be ok (have about 50mm spare) if not I'll just add extra brackets to them.

Vaughn the overflow tank came from Car Builder Solutions
TBH though it may be too big, not much room between bulkhead & rear clip, so I'll have to wait till my fuel pumps/filters arrive to see if I have room. above themorked out about £110.
The black bodywork is still gelcoat, I must admit it looks dead evil in black, I'm set on having metallic blue/white stripes when it gets sprayed.
Jay

Last edited:

JayPSC

Deceased 5-24-07, RIP
Busy weekend again, shaped all of the windows & fitted them. Such a crappy job, as you can see there is perspex/polycarbonate dust/chips everywhere. Gets in your hair & eyes, go to rub your eyes & just rub more dust into it lol.
Going to get the headlight/indicator covers done next so I can get all of that out of the way.
I cut them all with a die grinder with a spiral saw bit in it, then I sanded them with a small belt sander till they fitted ok.
I've cut down some Rivnuts & epoxied them into the body to give the screws something to grab hold of, I'll do the same with the doors once I order some M4 Rivnuts.
I've ordered some poly/plastic polish to get out all of the inevitible scratches, & I'll polish them all out & fit the sealing foam after I've got it SVA'd & sprayed.

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Jay

for SVA suggest no windows on the doors so you can reach through and adjust the mirrors (unless you are going electric mirrors) they have to be able to be adjusted from seated position.

Also the perspex light covers are not liked - they tend to disperse / scatter light and give bad readings on their test kit.

Cheers
Ian

Hi Jay

love the build, great job so far. i am new to the gt 40 world and Ive been speaking to chris melia and fran about a rcr kit. could you give me a call on 07747626954 please, thanks andy :)

Back