W8 and Corvette Transaxle?

Though, I'm pretty set on the LS3 and a Griffin transaxle. My mind was wondering a bit and had a thought

The LS3 is around 730mm deep while the W8 is only 500mm deep. That is about 10".

Being that the W8 is that much shorter,, could you utilize the T56 transaxle. Yes, you would have to turbo the W8 to get any real power, but on the pluses,, it's pretty light, and has an even firing order, so that gives you the ability to dial in a nice engine exhaust note.

James ...you are too long by about 9"...bet you dont hear that very often.

There is absolutely no way to use that trans in a stock wheelbase SLC

Here's the product to get if we're going to keep reading Fran's posts:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Washable-Keyboard-K310-Windows/dp/B008D1JRIO/ref=cm_rdp_product"]Amazon.com: Logitech Washable Keyboard K310 for Windows PCs - Black (920-004033): Computers & Accessories[/ame]

JR

I'm still reading threads and trying to make up my mind as to which car I want to build. When I build one it will be street use only, with a lot of highway driving so I am looking for a taller gear than what is offered in a porsche tranny and was hoping that the Griffin would be the answer. Sense it is not an option is there somewhere to go for taller gear options? What I would like to have would best be described as a five speed with an over drive, so a six speed that with r&p x Six gear would give some where around a 1.57 ratio. I will probably be running some around 15,000 to 20,000 miles per year, so that is the reason for the tall sixth gear. I realize it may not be possible in a transaxle, but it is with a front engine rear drive car. I plan to use it in place of my vette which turns about 1190 rpm at 60 and about 1485 at 75.

I think all of us contemplating these builds 'suffer' when it comes down to the transaxle. I think I've read more threads on transaxle options than anything else. I think one of the threads says basically to do this right, get a ricardo t/axle. Given those are not much available and they seem to be very expensive (12-16k+) if you can find one, it's just not inspiring to build a car with another expensive transaxle that you'll always have to worry about.

Clearly there is a market here, it's not huge, but I think the sweet spot is in the sub $10k range if possible, using some combination of a ford 9" or chevy 12" r&P with a t56 stack, so that replacement parts will at least be readily available.

I think what Fran is designing with the LMP would be an ideal car if it was street legal form because it uses the corvette transaxle and those are a lot cheaper to come by.

Sorry guys ...not a snowballs chance that the LMP would be remotely streetable....and to make a car that would be with this transaxle would require a very very long wheel base....the LMP is 114"wb.
There appears to be a new unit being released at the Autosports show this weekend in the UK...built by Graziano and capable of holding 600nm and brand new for approx 10k usd....
That said the G96/G97/50 has proven to be good for some serious power in the SLC 01 and also in the Mosler MT900 Twin turbo....so dont despair...their are options...

Here is another option, but not cheap at all. Not sure how good it would be for street use either.

Albins has a new transaxle now.

Attachments

• ST6-M v2.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 644
Sorry guys ...to make a car that would be streetable with this [Corvette] transaxle would require a very very long wheel base....the LMP is 114"wb.

There must be some limo builders in Detroit that are hurting; Let them put a 10" stretch in an SLC and see how it turns out...

JR

If I am going to stretch a SLC, then I am going to put a Viper motor in it.

I am sure if you pay for it Fran will do just about anything for you.

I think you guys that got the ricardo's early got the deal of the century for what comes with it. 17k for a transaxle really ups the ante...

Back